Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post] A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:39 PM   #1
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

I'm most definitely an INFJ. ;-)

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond repute
Default If you're vegan for animal rights reasons, would you...

Ok, so I don't patronize aquariums or zoos anymore (at least for now, I'm open to places that are true rescues at some point in the future but that requires so much careful evaluation and I've gone in the past after doing research and been bothered to see that it's just a gimmick... I'm just abstaining for now.) But i want my daughter to see and appreciate wild animals. We're going to Virginia in the first week of July. Last time i was there I saw dolphins from the shore!! I was thinking of taking my daughter on a dolphin watching tour. The description of the tour sounds really respectful of animals. But it is run the aquarium (it doesn't look like you have to buy aquarium tickets to do it, just boat tickets) the website says this "A portion of all ticket sales support Virginia Aquarium conservation initiatives, including the rescue and rehabilitation efforts of the Stranding Response Team." Obviously conservation awesome, as is standing response, but do you think it also supports the aquarium? Also, what do you think of the "ocean collections sea adventures"? https://www.virginiaaquarium.com/learn/sea-adventures

Last edited by WaitPatientlyOnTheLord; 06-11-2016 at 06:35 AM.
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WaitPatientlyOnTheLord For This Useful Post:
SalH (06-10-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 12:15 AM   #2
Little Forest
Rose Garden

Rich in girls.

Little Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you're vegan for animal rights reasons, would you...

I would for sure.
Posted via Mobile Device
Little Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Forest For This Useful Post:
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (06-12-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 04:48 AM   #3
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

I am no longer a vegetarian but when I was I also avoided zoos and aquariums but I went whale watching. I would go on this.
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WanderingJuniper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2016, 06:38 AM   #4
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

I would do this for sure!

I have mixed feelings about zoos and aquariums. I definitely don't mind animal rehabilitation facilities. There are other places that do good. For example we have an aviary that has only injured birds that couldn't live in the wild anymore. I take my kids to the zoo on free day :P because that way we are not supporting it financially (also, as you know, I am cheap). I also get a super good homeschool discount at the aquarium and we have gone a few times.

My philosophy on this (with many of you may disagree with, and that's okay ) is that while life in a zoo is not an animal's ideal life, the purpose of zoos is to inspire people to 1. believe in God who created all of these beautiful, wonderful creatures [or I suppose at the very least to have some awe about nature if they don't believe in God] and 2. inspire people to want to save nature, to find that nature is worth saving. For all that the animals that live there do not have a good life and I would never personally own a zoo or capture a wild animal and bring it to a zoo, they do do some good. Kids are very hands-on or at least eyes-on. It's hard to want to save something you don't feel any connection to.

I will also say that I went to a little in-home presentation of a woman who had been to Africa, and watching her video of hippos swimming wild and free in the river was one of the most inspiring experiences of my life when it comes to animals.

But I wonder how many vegetarians have been inspired to become vegetarians when they went to a zoo or a farm and saw how beautiful the animals were and how like-us they are. Being up-close and personal with an animal is very different from seeing one on a video and if seeing one captive cow makes you stop eating them, then that could certainly be worth it.

And I wonder if some have been inspired to believe in God by seeing the majesty of His creations.

All that to say my feelings on the issue are very mixed.

But regardless of the zoo/aquarium thing, I'd definitely do the dolphin tour!!

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (06-11-2016), Little Forest (06-11-2016), Quiteria (06-12-2016), ValiantJoy07 (06-11-2016), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (06-12-2016), WanderingJuniper (06-11-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 07:07 AM   #5
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

This is an aside, but if you're ever in San Diego their Wild Animal Park was an amazing animal sanctuary that was not like a zoo, i learned so much about what animals need to thrive in plenty of space and natural habitats through my time there.

---------- Post added at 09:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 AM ----------

Oops, I guess it's called safari park now. Their work with rhinos and setting up an environment where they felt comfortable breeding (bc rhinos won't breed in captivity, so this place is set up so the endangered animals feel like they're still in the wild - it's a huge park not closed exhibits) was really inspiring.

http://www.sdzsafaripark.org

Last edited by Katigre; 06-11-2016 at 07:27 AM.
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (06-11-2016), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (06-12-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 09:52 AM   #6
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

I feel comfortable on whale & dolphin watching tours. There are federal laws that dictate how close a boat can get & how the boat can interact with the animals. I've read & agree with the laws, so I am comfortable taking a tour.

From my experience with various tour companies, these captains are out every day and have a respect for the animals.

Dolphins are friendly & curious animals. It's likely they will come close to the boat & as long as the laws are being followed (no feeding, no attempt to touch, etc) it is a magical experience.

AFA a portion of the ticket price going to support the aquarium, the larger ones in my area take in injured animals and I am comfortable supporting that.

Last edited by mommylove; 06-11-2016 at 09:55 AM.
mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mommylove For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2016, 06:55 PM   #7
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks ladies. Historically, I have felt like zoos and aquariums were great because of how they encourage passion for animals. Not to mention the conservation thing. But two years ago, we decided to go to mystic aquarium. I'd be been to the Boston aquarium a few times and stupidly assumed all aquariums were like that. At the Boston aquarium, at least when I was there, they only had mammals who were being actively rehabbed. But when we went to the mystic aquarium I was really bothered to see they had several marine mammals. The mammals were trained and put on shows just like at sea world. Some of the mammals- like their baluga whales were captured from the wild to study the feeling I got at Mystic was definitely a gimmicky, entertainment money maker rather than care for animals. I'm just not ok with supporting places like that.

But, because I do feel like seeing wild animals is super important in developing a love and respect for them, I want to be sure to seek out ways for my kids to have exposure to them, preferably in their natural habitats, but also at carefully chosen rescues and sanctuaries.

So, in this case, I wasn't worried about the dolphin tour itself, but the funds supporting the museum. HOWEVER, after posting this same question on Facebook, a vegan lady pointed out that patronizing the dolphin watch through the museum is actually showing them that some people prefer seeing the animals in their natural environment. So, in that way, it's not much different than buying a vegan meal at a place that also sells non vegan foods. It shows the company that more compassionate options are wanted!

Anyways, DH and I are leaning towards ocean collections sea adventure. Since our daughter is 2.5 we think it might be better to do the hands on one. I'm going to call tomorrow to ask some questions about it, to make sure that is a good fit for us. And I'm really hoping we'll see some dolphins while we do it, but it's not for sure. Here's the description of the ocean collections tour "
Quote:
Ocean Collections Sea Adventures Boat Trips---Curious about what lives in our coastal ocean waters? Take a 75-minute cruise with Aquarium educators to collect a variety of local fish and invertebrates and observe them up close aboard the boat. The catch varies seasonally, and some of the exciting discoveries may include seahorses, stingrays, blue crabs, keyhole urchins, and jellies. During this hands-on trip, you’ll have the opportunity to help work the trawl net, collect plankton, examine animals the temporary touch pool, and release fish back into the ocean."
The Following User Says Thank You to WaitPatientlyOnTheLord For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (06-12-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 08:00 PM   #8
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

Wanted to update on this. We went with the boat ride where they caught fish to touch. They only let the kids touch the animals who wouldn't be bothered by being handled before being rereleased. The more delicate fish were placed in tubs where the kiddos could get real close and see them but not touch. I thought it was very respectful.

Unfortunately, DD was sick with a cold that day. So she only enjoyed it a fraction of how much she normally would have.

Last edited by WaitPatientlyOnTheLord; 07-26-2016 at 08:45 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WaitPatientlyOnTheLord For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (07-26-2016), MercyInDisguise (07-26-2016), Victorious (07-26-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 08:42 PM   #9
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds awesome! Sorry to hear that your dd was sick.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote