Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 06-08-2010, 12:31 PM   #61
Maggie
Deactivated

love

Maggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Walmart Discipline Experience.

Thanks for explaining the posturing, Manda! That sounds really helpful. I'll have to be conscious of that.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:35 PM   #62
Lantern Light Mama
Deactivated
I support GCM!

A.K.A. joyinthspirit

Lantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond repute

Today Mason was acting up pretty bad. He got upset because he wanted something that was dangerous and I would not let him have it. He screamed at me, he hit me, and told me he was going to get it by himself. We were in the middle of a Mason meltdown. Guess what I did? I gave him a cup of ice water, and slowely the screaming stopped. Then he became calmer and finally sat down to play.

Why does this work so well? I guess I need to always have ice water on me. That lady really knew a great thing to do for a meltdown. I wonder how she knew this and I wonder if she knows that what she did is helping other families? I'd like to thank her.
Lantern Light Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:15 AM   #63
jandjmommy
Rose Bouquet

jandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of light

Another success story here, thanks to your post! We were at a children's play museum yesterday; DD3 was getting irritated with the toddlers who wanted to touch the things in "her" shopping cart. Normally I would have become irritated myself & embarrassed that she was snatching things from other kids. But! I had put ice cold drinks in my purse remembering your story. So I said, "I think a nice cold drink would feel great right now!" in a cheerful voice. DD dropped her end of the empty syrup bottle -- victory for the toddler who wanted it! -- and trotted right after me to get her drink. She asked to sit down & we sat and chatted for a few minutes while she drank--not about the snatching--then she asked me for a kiss, jumped down, & played sweetly the rest of our visit.
THANK YOU!!!!
jandjmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:03 AM   #64
Garland
Rose Trellis

Garland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that was very bold and sweet of her. What a great example.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:53 AM   #65
susannah

I keep rereading this post and every time it makes me cry a little. That is such a good story!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
J3K (06-11-2010), Lantern Light Mama (06-10-2010)
Old 06-10-2010, 05:30 PM   #66
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

That seriously made me cry. That was beautiful. What a wise sweet gracious thing.

The more I see Grace in action the more... It's beautiful.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:22 PM   #67
amyhntr2
Rose Bouquet

amyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValiantJoy07 View Post

The more I see Grace in action the more... It's beautiful.
this

Wife to the life of the party Brad
Mommy to I 6/09 and E 10/11 born at home
Enjoying living in SC and seeing where my journey leads next

amyhntr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:16 AM   #68
CrunchySeaSalt
Rose Trellis

Fighting APD and hoping to win soon!

CrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, I applied this yesterday.
My friend was visiting for the second time. Her son (4y/o) has (had and still does worsening) issues of which she is trying to learn about thru therapy and is still in the beginning phase of getting a handle on it.

He had whacked her with a hard object on purpose b/c she asked him to leave the room he was not allowed in and after catching him (he ran)she had him pinned in a bear hug. He was screaming and shrieking and worked himself into a total mess. After about 5 min of this, I was getting desperate b/c my child was scared and refused to leave her chair in hte other room. (totally new for her to see this sort of thing)

I went in and offerred him some cold water in his straw-cup, held it for him (he was still in bear hug ) and after gulping it down, he calmed down enough she could release his arms and let him pull himself together to a resonable extent.

I think if something breaks the screaming cycle, it gives a chance for exhaustion to kick in and releases/stops the adrenaline boost they are drawing from.

It appears "drinks" are the draw from what I am reading.

Anyway thanks, had I not read this who knows what could have happened b/c the mom was ready to explode as well, her eyes told volumes. I think the bear hug was for her benefit too as to keep herself under control.
CrunchySeaSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CrunchySeaSalt For This Useful Post:
Lantern Light Mama (06-16-2010)
Old 06-11-2010, 06:21 AM   #69
BlessedBlue
Rose Garden

Have you ever heard a fly roar? Listen carefully!

BlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond repute

One lady at Walmart - one positive event, and look at how it's rippling out! There was a bargain that day at Wally-world!

sister to Blue-EyedLady since forever
wife to Trooper (Wounded Warrior) 3-98
Graphics designing sapphiremama to EBug 2-04, ABoo 2-06, and Goggle 8-09
BlessedBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BlessedBlue For This Useful Post:
hopeforchange (06-11-2010), J3K (06-11-2010), Lantern Light Mama (06-16-2010), mountainash (07-07-2010), SortaCrunchy (07-22-2010), Vicki_T (06-13-2010)
Old 06-11-2010, 08:59 AM   #70
Damselfly
Deactivated

Formerly Jadeswan ;)

Damselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for sharing this. What a beautiful lady and what a great example for all of us!
Damselfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:42 PM   #71
Danae
Rose Blossom

Danae has a spectacular aura aboutDanae has a spectacular aura about

I just used the cold water trick today. LO, age 23 months, was having a complete meltdown in her car seat. I pulled over, got in the backseat, and gave her a sippy cup of ice water. She calmed down immediately and we had no more crying on the trip home.

Wonderful tip!
Danae is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Danae For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2010, 12:47 PM   #72
J3K
Deactivated

Hi ! I'm Myrtle. I like to pretend I'm an R.O.U.S.

J3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond repute

That is so beautiful. I am sitting here with watery eyes.

I'll betcha that Walmart employee is really an angel.
J3K is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J3K For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2010, 12:54 PM   #73
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute

That would be a cute sentiment to put in a letter to Wal-Mart. "Don't be surprised if you can't track down the employee because I suspect she was an angel making a quick stop."

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ThreeKids For This Useful Post:
Damselfly (06-12-2010), J3K (06-12-2010), kwisie (06-13-2010), Lantern Light Mama (06-16-2010)
Old 06-14-2010, 06:20 PM   #74
Wonder Woman
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Yep. I'm a 3.

Wonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond repute

what an awesome story!

I think those are the kind of things Jesus was talking about when He said
Quote:
For whosoever shall give you a cup of water to drink in my name, because ye belong to Christ, verily I say unto you, he shall not lose his reward.
Wonder Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wonder Woman For This Useful Post:
CrunchySeaSalt (06-14-2010), Lantern Light Mama (06-16-2010), mountainash (07-07-2010), SortaCrunchy (07-22-2010)
Old 06-14-2010, 08:07 PM   #75
kwisie
Rose Garden

kwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond repute

That's exactly what I've been thinking, Wonder Woman.

Wielder of the Sparkly Pencil of Sneak-Attack Silliness.
Flowery Sunshine Power Woman
kwisie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kwisie For This Useful Post: