Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Attachment and Natural Parenting

Old 03-14-2017, 10:24 AM   #16
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: reintroducing gluten

Oh I am sorry, that sounds miserable for all of you. I agree that calling the Dr and seeing if you have options would be good.

This is why my dh will neaver get an official diagnosis. He wouldn't go to the Dr but eventually agreed to try being gluten free. He has had one major accidental exposure and he ended up in the hospital, on more meds that I had post c section, because of the pain.
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (03-14-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 01:43 AM   #17
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

doctor says unfortunately its still too soon if we want an official diagnosis. She can say she is gluten intolerant but not celiac without testing.. She will respect any decision I make.
I'm torn.. It seemed that she had zero reactions after multiple obvious exposure. Then boom she went from being happy and merry to not making it to the bathroom several times (like we were back to before she was PT) to her complaining that her tummies were too warm.. This is her explanation I have no idea exactly what warm means but it is enough to keep her up all night. Then today I a rash appeared on her hands so far no place else but too much of a coincidence..
Part of me thinks I dont need more.. We will keep her off gluten clearly she does react. At the same time why does it seem to need to build up. Is is all gluten or say just a wheat allergy? How careful do we need to be about say cross contamination? I dont want to just ignore things because she seemingly can handle some exposure as I know it could be doing more damage than we are currently seeing. As she gets older though it be nice to have a better idea of exactly what is going on.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:56 AM   #18
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Yes, it's a hard decision and one that only you and your dh (and she) can make right now.

Here is the big questions to consider. What would you do differently in light of a celiac or not diagnosis? Would it change anything about your day to day behaviour?

And how life interrupting right now are her reactions?

Is an official diagnosis something that you would eventually like to pursue even if not right now?s
Old 03-15-2017, 06:16 AM   #19
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

It may have taken this long for the villi in her intestine to be damaged again. I would be torn too, D. There wouldn't be any difference in daily life for me knowing or not, since the only treatment for Celiac is avoiding gluten, but there are issues that Celiac can bring on that it might be good to know about.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13

Last edited by Singingmom; 03-15-2017 at 06:18 AM.
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Singingmom For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (03-15-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 07:26 AM   #20
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
Yes, it's a hard decision and one that only you and your dh (and she) can make right now.

Here is the big questions to consider. What would you do differently in light of a celiac or not diagnosis? Would it change anything about your day to day behaviour?

And how life interrupting right now are her reactions?

Is an official diagnosis something that you would eventually like to pursue even if not right now?s
A non celiac diagnosis might allow us to relax a bit in some areas such as when it comes to cross contamination, we'd also like to know if its al gluten vs just wheat.

Right now her reactions are concerning and they "disrupt" the days but they are not earth shattering. No worry about needing hospitalization and overall we've been able to get school work done etc. She been gluten free since Friday. The rash is still there but her headaches have passed and stomach is better. She aches but she still has to be careful with getting to the bathroom. Its much better though.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:40 PM   #21
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

She may have both damaged villi that eventually leads to celiac (based on digestive symptoms) and a wheat allergy (rash indicates IgE reaction). You can ask for IgE blood work for wheat and other gluten containing grains as well as the IgA celiac blood work which may come up positive despite the short time she was on gluten. There is also genetic testing to see if you have certain genes associated with Celiac but that doesn't indicate that you actually have the disease.

C has an IgE allergy to wheat, all other gluten grains tested, and several genes associated with celiac. That was enough for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
bananacake (03-15-2017), ECingMama (03-15-2017), knitlove (03-15-2017), milkmommy (03-15-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 07:25 PM   #22
DahliaRW
Rose Garden

DahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond repute

When we did food intolerance testing with my middle child, my ND said that when you reintroduce you want to do a large amount at once to see if there is a reaction. She said it's less reliable and harder to tell when you do it little by little. In our case, ds ceased to react to anything (my theory is the 8 weeks off of gluten, dairy, and eggs caused his gut to heal). On the other hand, I did the diet with him and I reacted strongly to gluten (later found out I carry one copy of the celiac gene which makes you more likely to be reactive even if it's not truly celiac).
milkmommy (03-15-2017)