Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:54 AM   #1
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gf df meal ideas for fussy eating kid

I need new ideas.. mostly for lunches her go to is pbj and fruit but she had been balking at that
I've googled ideas but what the internet considers kid friendly mine views as poison.
Ideas?
Quiteria (03-25-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 12:07 PM   #2
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gf df meal ideas for fussy eating kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmommy View Post
I need new ideas.. mostly for lunches her go to is pbj and fruit but she had been balking at that
I've googled ideas but what the internet considers kid friendly mine views as poison.
Ideas?
My kids absolutely love raw Thai spring rolls. They're a great take-along lunch with a little peanut sauce for dipping (or sunbutter sauce if she can't have peanuts). Noodles in Thai peanut sauce (or sun butter sauce) go over well with my kids, too. Also ds1 loves lemon rice. Fried rice without soy sauce is good, too- just rice fried in oil with salt, pepper, and whatever veggies she will eat.

A trail mix is a decent lunch, too- whatever nuts (candy-coated if necessary ) with dried fruit and even some dry cereal in there is good (the cereal makes it cheaper).

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 12:46 PM   #3
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
My kids absolutely love raw Thai spring rolls. They're a great take-along lunch with a little peanut sauce for dipping (or sunbutter sauce if she can't have peanuts). Noodles in Thai peanut sauce (or sun butter sauce) go over well with my kids, too. Also ds1 loves lemon rice. Fried rice without soy sauce is good, too- just rice fried in oil with salt, pepper, and whatever veggies she will eat.

A trail mix is a decent lunch, too- whatever nuts (candy-coated if necessary ) with dried fruit and even some dry cereal in there is good (the cereal makes it cheaper).
She wont do spring rolls she's eat it all separately except the wrap but not together. She hates pasta of any type but she does like rice. I struggle getting protein into her any ideas for that?
Old 03-18-2017, 02:23 PM   #4
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmommy View Post
She wont do spring rolls she's eat it all separately except the wrap but not together. She hates pasta of any type but she does like rice. I struggle getting protein into her any ideas for that?
Protein isn't something to be too worried about- really almost everything has protein and there's a lot of hype about protein lately but it's not worth worrying about in this country. If she doesn't want pbj in a sandwich will she dip apple slices or a banana in peanut butter? I like that but I do not like pbj sandwiches. Eggs are pretty versatile, too- tons of cute ideas on pinterest like baking them in muffin cups. You could send french toast triangles with syrup dip for lunch (I know you said gf but assuming you have some kind of gf bread) or you can make pancakes or crepes and roll them up with something on the inside (jelly, peanut butter, pb banana, etc). You could also try different kinds of "breads" for her pbj- like maybe she doesn't like it on regular bread but she'd eat it on a pita or a tortilla or a pancake. And instead of pbj you could do honey, banana, some kind of chocolate sauce, etc. You could also do tortilla chips with some kind of bean dip.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 04:09 PM   #5
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

she wont dip things, doesn't like "other breads" like tortillas etc however she loves when i make quick breads so any good recipies in that department welcomed. I calculated her food intake last week and she was easily under 500 calories a day. She'll eat like salad greens all day long likes munching on fruit I can maybe get a couple of eggs into her and if lucky a bite or two of what ever meat I've made but with her basically dropping the nutbutters shes barely getting in calories. She wont touch the veggies or fruit though if I add oils dressing or dips though.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:36 PM   #6
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Well, I have no idea what your picky kid will and won't eat, but i'll give you a list of our go to snacky and lunch pail things that we use for our gf kids and you can pick and choose if any work for you.

nuts (peanuts, cashews, pecans, almonds and whatever else we have on hand), mixed with whatever the individual kids prefers (raisins, other dried fruit, chocolate chips, shredded coconut, etc)

muffins. I pretty much make a batch of muffins daily of a wide variety. These are go to's for school snacks and lunches as well as after school snacks.

rice cakes, topped with peanut butter or something else that the child prefers.

raw veggies. My kids love red pepper, carrots, cucumber, sugar snap peas

cut up fresh fruit.

Applesauce.

Larabars or other gf/df snack type bars.

corn chips and guacamole.

This is all stuff that we use for packed lunches and school snacks. Meals prepped to be eaten at home obviously offer much more flexibility.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (03-18-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 11:20 AM   #7
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried nut butter muffins?

I buy Jarrow rice protein from Amazon. Very affordable. I add it to all baked goods to boost protein.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (03-19-2017), tempus vernum (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 11:32 AM   #8
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananacake View Post

I buy Jarrow rice protein from Amazon. Very affordable. I add it to all baked goods

Have a recipe for the nutbutter muffins?
Old 03-19-2017, 11:32 AM   #9
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananacake View Post

I buy Jarrow rice protein from Amazon. Very affordable. I add it to all baked goods to boost protein.

Yes and yes to both posts above me. Only caution is we developed a brown rice sensitivity from using too much rice protein when we were dairy and gluten free. I don't know what Jarrow uses but be cautious because rice bran can digest similarly to gluten. BROWN Rice protein should be approached w caution for anyone who cannot digest gluten. We can tolerate very small amts of brown rice now but primarily use Jasmine rice.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 11:52 AM   #10
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama View Post
Yes and yes to both posts above me. Only caution is we developed a brown rice sensitivity from using too much rice protein when we were dairy and gluten free. I don't know what Jarrow uses but be cautious because rice bran can digest similarly to gluten. BROWN Rice protein should be approached w caution for anyone who cannot digest gluten. We can tolerate very small amts of brown rice now but primarily use Jasmine rice.
I'm the only one here who can digest gluten, though I don't eat it anyway. We've been eating the Jarrow protein for years with no issues.

Nut butter muffins
1 cup nut butter
1 T vinegar
1/4 cup sweetener
1/2 t baking soda
2 eggs

This would make about 10 muffins. Honestly, I add a ton of stuff to them: flax seed meal, hemp seeds, chia seeds, oat bran, oats, chocolate chips, etc.

But in terms of protein, just using the basic recipe:
With PB and 2 eggs making 10 muffins, each muffin has 7.6 grams of protein without adding any protein powder

Here is the variation I make.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
Maleldil's daughter (03-19-2017), milkmommy (03-19-2017), tempus vernum (03-19-2017), ViolaMum (03-19-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 07:54 PM   #11
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

So do you think u get 2 C of it butter out of a 16 oz jar? I'm looking at my almond butter jar and calculating

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:06 AM   #12
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama View Post
So do you think u get 2 C of it butter out of a 16 oz jar? I'm looking at my almond butter jar and calculating

Yes. Because I hate the mess that measuring nut butters makes, I make a double batch of
Muffins and use the whole jar.

Last edited by bananacake; 03-23-2017 at 06:48 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
Dovenoir (03-23-2017), tempus vernum (03-23-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 11:47 AM   #13
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Looks like my moldy muffins might not have been... it could have just been a chemical reaction to the baking soda.. oops. I wouldn't Have gotten her to eat green carrot muffins anyways.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:12 AM   #14
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

If she will eat eggs those egg and banana pancakes are very good. You can also try making banana ice cream with a blender or food processor and yu can add peanut butter powder or whatever you like http://www.food.com/recipe/2-ingredi...ancakes-501408
https://blog.thatcleanlife.com/one-i...ana-ice-cream/

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (04-05-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 09:45 AM   #15
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds like an off batch.
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (03-24-2017)