Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 06-19-2008, 11:50 AM   #61
milkdud
Rose Trellis

milkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The official Cal Mag thread

Have you checked your local HFS?
Gobstopper 09/2009
Bit o' Honey 11/2012

11/2003 & 12/2011
milkdud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:01 PM   #62
Peaceful Meadows
Rose Garden

Peaceful Meadows has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkdud
Have you checked your local HFS?
Not recently. The last time that I was there I had all the boys and they were antsy so I just grabbed what I needed and got out. I need to go back without the boys so I am more free to look and not preoccupied.

Feel free to visit my little nook
Peaceful Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:21 PM   #63
QuiltinGramma
Rose Garden

QuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant future

adding this to my list of "keepers"

wife for 40 years to dear hubby-pastor and retired Navy chaplain
mom to DS & DD (Amber) now grown,
to Dixie Lee, a 3 yr old French Brittany,
Magnolia (Maggie), 4 month old French Brittany
and gramma to 4 wonderful grandBOYS and 1 foster granddaughter
QuiltinGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:20 PM   #64
kaismamma
Climbing Rose

kaismamma has a spectacular aura aboutkaismamma has a spectacular aura aboutkaismamma has a spectacular aura about

Shaklee Cal Mag took away my HORRIBLE menstrual cramps. (As in having a baby wasn't all that bad in comparison.) It was a 3-year process of being on the stuff and trippling the recommended dosage 3 days before my period would start before they were finally all gone. I had taken Cal/Mag from the healthfood store previously and would get little bits of relief, but the cramps were still pretty bad and I'd have to keep switching brands or the stuff would quit working. Now I understand that the reason I had to keep switching it up was because the health food store supplements were not true condensed food supplements but supplements that isolated their vitamins and thus my body was just being stimulated to a better response, but would soon get used to the stimulation and stop responding. Isolated vitamins even from food do not feed cells which is really what leads to long-term results and healing. Hope that all makes sense, as understanding this has rocked my world in more than one area of health!
Old 07-04-2008, 06:55 AM   #65
4MKfam
Rose Garden

4MKfam has a reputation beyond repute4MKfam has a reputation beyond repute4MKfam has a reputation beyond repute4MKfam has a reputation beyond repute4MKfam has a reputation beyond repute4MKfam has a reputation beyond repute4MKfam has a reputation beyond repute4MKfam has a reputation beyond repute4MKfam has a reputation beyond repute4MKfam has a reputation beyond repute4MKfam has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaismamma
Shaklee Cal Mag took away my HORRIBLE menstrual cramps.
I see a HUGE difference in both the cramps (like going from needing ibuprofen constantly the first 2 days to needing nothing) and i usually have much less of a struggle with PMS when I'm taking it all month.
4MKfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:58 AM   #66
4MKfam
Rose Garden

4MKfam has a reputation beyond repute4MKfam has a reputation beyond repute4MKfam has a reputation beyond repute4MKfam has a reputation beyond repute4MKfam has a reputation beyond repute4MKfam has a reputation beyond repute4MKfam has a reputation beyond repute4MKfam has a reputation beyond repute4MKfam has a reputation beyond repute4MKfam has a reputation beyond repute4MKfam has a reputation beyond repute

One more question ...
I'm taking mag-cal, 2:1 ratio, 800mg magnesium to 400mg calcium, and this seems to be working better for me than the 1000mg calcium/500mg magnesium I was taking previously . Any ideas as to why that might be? I am hypothyroid, on a low level of synthroid; and I've noticed that more magnesium is more effective in helping my tendency toward depression and anxiety. Just wondering what the reasoning might be, if anyone knows.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:34 AM   #67
illinoismommy
Rose Garden

illinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond repute

Sp here's my question. How do you find calcium and megnesium supplements that doesn't mean you need to take a million pills? I have to take 3 calcium pills for 1000, and 3 magnesium for 400.... so to get 1000/400 I have to take 6 pills .... 7 pills if I want closet to 1300/400

Mommy to: Ds (9.5), Dd (7), Ds2 (6), and Ds3 (4.5).

illinoismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:50 PM   #68
CindiAnne
Rose Bouquet

CindiAnne will become famous soon enoughCindiAnne will become famous soon enough

I'm interested in this, too.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:13 AM   #69
4MKfam
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoismommy
Sp here's my question. How do you find calcium and megnesium supplements that doesn't mean you need to take a million pills? I have to take 3 calcium pills for 1000, and 3 magnesium for 400.... so to get 1000/400 I have to take 6 pills .... 7 pills if I want closet to 1300/400

I haven't found one yet that's "one a day," but I have found some at the HFS that combine the right ratio (2:1 cal to mag), so you don't have to take separate calcium and magnesium pills. I usually take mine in three doses, one "set" with each meal . I know a lot of people say to take them all at once at bedtime, though. That just seems like a lot of magnesium all at once, and I know with me, that tends to have rather uncomfortable results the next morning (magnesium tends to have a laxative effect).
Old 07-05-2008, 08:44 AM   #70
kaismamma
Climbing Rose

kaismamma has a spectacular aura aboutkaismamma has a spectacular aura aboutkaismamma has a spectacular aura about

And your body can only absorb so much mineral content at one time, so it's always good to spread your minerals out throughout the day. Do take some at bedtime (as that is a great time for absorbtion), but definately don't take all your cal/mag then!
Old 07-21-2008, 07:47 AM   #71
JBEMom
Rosebud

JBEMom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
and here's one more...

http://www.bluebonnetnutrition.com/m...n_citrate.html

a liquid with 1000/400
This is the one I take. It really does help me sleep better at night. I had Restless Leg Syndrome very bad for years and this really is helping a lot!

Mom to:
J (25 yo - graduated college and living in NY)
B (almost eight years in Heaven...miss you B)
E, a.k.a. The Princess (6.5 yo)
JBEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:35 AM   #72
StewardofLOs
Rose Trellis

"What if Your blessings come through raindrops? What if Your healing comes through tears?"

StewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant future

several of you have mentioned cal/mag helping with your RLS....do you think it'd work the same in guys? DH probably has that, and is generally a poor sleeper, and it would be awesome if we could find a natural supplement to help

married 12 yrs to DH
ENFP, T1
currently battling hemeralopia-induced blindness and chronic pain for the 3rd time

mama to five:
10.5yo DS (my serious T4)
8yo DD (my sparkly T1)
3.5yo DD (my precious T2)
one I will hold in heaven

StewardofLOs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:36 AM   #73
klpmommy
Deactivated

Beware the gorgon, she's having a bad hair day

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute

cal/mag is good for men, too. I have the dosage info from Allison for men b/c I asked about my dh last year, let me dig it up for you. (My dh won't take it. :/ )
klpmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:37 AM   #74
klpmommy
Deactivated

Beware the gorgon, she's having a bad hair day

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute

for men: 1000 cal & 500 mag Like in women it can cause loose bm's in the beginning, but that will settle out in a couple of weeks.
klpmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:44 AM   #75
StewardofLOs
Rose Trellis

"What if Your blessings come through raindrops? What if Your healing comes through tears?"

StewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by klpmommy
for men: 1000 cal & 500 mag Like in women it can cause loose bm's in the beginning, but that will settle out in a couple of weeks.
thanks!

married 12 yrs to DH
ENFP, T1
currently battling hemeralopia-induced blindness and chronic pain for the 3rd time

mama to five:
10.5yo DS (my serious T4)
8yo DD (my sparkly T1)
3.5yo DD (my precious T2)
one I will hold in heaven

StewardofLOs is offline   Reply With Quote