Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:48 PM   #16
mummy2boys
Moderator in We'd Love to Meet You, Let's Talk, High Need/Spirited Children, Joyous Homekeeping, and The Cookbook

mummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Addicted to sugar, need accountability

Quote:
Originally Posted by satin.mama View Post
mummy2boys, do you still want to be my partner if I'm not 100%?
Yes I do. Any % is good I think.....says the person who may or may not be sitting here with a fizzy drink
Waiting to meet 3 in heaven 2/2005, 5/2007 & 8/2011
Striving, with God's help, to be a gentle mother each day
mummy2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mummy2boys For This Useful Post:
satin.mama (10-02-2014)
Old 10-02-2014, 07:13 AM   #17
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

So yesterday dh wanted something sweet to eat with the raw milk I bought. So I made brownies. And of course I had some. but before that I'd managed to only have one square of dark chocolate all day. Trying again today to stay mostly sugar free.
satin.mama (10-02-2014)
Old 10-02-2014, 10:29 AM   #18
satin.mama
Rose Bush

satin.mama is a name known to allsatin.mama is a name known to allsatin.mama is a name known to allsatin.mama is a name known to allsatin.mama is a name known to allsatin.mama is a name known to allsatin.mama is a name known to all

What is the best way to do the accountability thing - GCM threads? PMs? Email? Facebook?

Since I recovered from my sickness of last week, I have been sticking to max 2 GF-vegan (I forget the brand) chocolate chip cookies per day (9 g sugar total) - think I will go by grams daily, though then again EVERYTHING packaged seems to have sugar in it, not just the sweet stuff, so do I count the sugar in crackers, ketchup etc. as well?

I don't know what my own rules are yet, but so far I feel like I've been moderate enough to not feel guilty! I'll probably do some thinking about what my grams-of-sugar-per-day limit will be and whether I'm allowed every day or not. And I'm going to drink my almost-daily rooibos tea without honey from now on (instead of putting like a Tbsp of honey in every cup, ahem), or else the sweetened tea will count as my sweet thing.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:40 AM   #19
mummy2boys
Moderator in We'd Love to Meet You, Let's Talk, High Need/Spirited Children, Joyous Homekeeping, and The Cookbook

mummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond repute

I am happy to do PM's, email or Facebook. If I can work it out maybe I can start a Facebook page just for this purpose....depends on how many are interested
Waiting to meet 3 in heaven 2/2005, 5/2007 & 8/2011
Striving, with God's help, to be a gentle mother each day
mummy2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mummy2boys For This Useful Post:
bentlaj11 (10-04-2014), satin.mama (10-04-2014)
Old 10-25-2014, 03:09 PM   #20
Rose5000
Climbing Rose

Rose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud of

Quote:
I have been thinking. I'm addicted to sugar, mostly in the form of chocolately things, so maybe it's really chocolate. But I think it's both. It has to do with stress - that is when I want chocolate, when I am stressed. If the kids are screaming I go for my hidden chocolate stash. 8:30 a.m., 3:00 a.m., and all. If I have no chocolate I eat whatever sweet thing I'm able to eat (egg-free, gluten-free, without certain nuts and seeds). And I would really like to NOT be addicted to sugar because I do know how bad it is for me. I don't need to lose weight - in fact I should gain some, but I have trouble doing so. Anyway it's not about the weight for me, but about what is good for my body. My health isn't terrible, but it's a little fragile for sure, and whenever I get really sick or something like I did this past week I think, oh my goodness, I've got to take better care of my body, I'll never eat sugar and/or chocolate again! Which lasts about 3 days.

But I thought that maybe if I had some kind of accountability partner, I would stick to it. Anybody into that idea??

Thanks for reading!
wow i am like you in so many ways. esp the last part about 3 days. I am skinny too.

---------- Post added at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

Quote:
I have been sticking to max 2 GF-vegan (I forget the brand) chocolate chip cookies per day (9 g sugar total) -
I have been surprised at how the first ingredient on a lot of gluten free deserts like packaged cookies (Pamela's brand to be exact) is SUGAR! AFter I had 3 of those, I flushed the rest of the pkg down the toilet-all I felt like I was eating was gritty sugar in every bite. not enough flour for me!

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

I also notice that when I go on sugar binges, I get sick with a cold virus right away.

I need to avoid sugar for my health sake too, not to lose weight....I too, would like to gain weight.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:29 PM   #21
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

Deuteronomy 11:19

SewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond repute

Hey ladies. I hope it isn't too late to join.
My addiction is Dr Pepper.
When I'm stressed I impulse by candy and scarf it. But day to day I'm pretty good at staying away from most things besides DP.
I have successfully kicked the soda habit in the past with substitutes. Winter is easiest because I drink hot tea and coffee all day. But I'm not a fan of Iced teas. I enjoy flavored waters (home made a half cup of cantaloupe etc in the bottom of a jug of water) but forget to make it often and so when I want something other then strait water nothing is prepared. Oh and I can't stand juice.
I love kombucha but I'm so nervous I'll forget about it and leave it too long or something if I make it at home.
It doesn't help that there is a machine nearly right outside my door.
I do need to lose a bit of weight but it isn't my concern. I know how bad soda is and I want I treat my body better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"If punishment were necessarily reformative, and able to cure us all of those 'sins we have a mind to,' why, the world would be a very good world;" -Charlotte Mason, Parents and Children pg. 172

W&C 8/4/06; G 15yo , M 11yo , S 8/29/13 , V 8yo , Baby 2yo
SewingGreenMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:39 PM   #22
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

Ive been eating halloween candy for 3 days straight. Sometimes with breakfast. I am weak.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:51 PM   #23
ForHim
Rose Bush

ForHim has a brilliant futureForHim has a brilliant futureForHim has a brilliant futureForHim has a brilliant futureForHim has a brilliant futureForHim has a brilliant futureForHim has a brilliant futureForHim has a brilliant futureForHim has a brilliant futureForHim has a brilliant futureForHim has a brilliant future

Not sure if this is really helpful, but I see you drink rooibos tea. Make a jar, add two teaspoons of the honey, add lemon juice (lots of lemon juice) and fresh mint is optional. Store in the fridge. Delicously refreshing, and I know it has sugar in it, but it is less than the one per cup, and is very good for you. Hands down my favorite drink.

Hymnsong (April 2018)
ForHim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ForHim For This Useful Post:
SewingGreenMama (10-28-2014)
Old 11-01-2014, 09:33 PM   #24
Asha

I'd like to join in the accountability too, if it's not too late. I like how most of the posters so far have a nuanced approach rather than all or nothing - giving up one specific thing or giving up the OVERuse of sugar, rather than "let's never eat sugar again"!

I don't really want to give up sugar altogether. I've had eating disorders in the past and God set me free, miraculously - and I am free indeed, from all rigid restrictions. I have no interest in going back there again!

And yet, as someone said, there has to be balance and a healthy self control. I'm eating more sugar than I would like. My husband loves sweets and I want to join him in finishing dinner on a sweet note, but in the day when he's not home I don't want to keep going to the sweet stash! That's what I'd like to be accountable about.

Have we decided on a way to do this and check in? I know someone suggested Facebook, I'm not on there so would much prefer to keep it here...
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
SewingGreenMama (11-02-2014)