Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 08-06-2017, 03:54 PM   #1
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute
Question Bosch Universal Mixer or ???

My parents gave us a KitchenAid Stand Mixer for our marriage, almost 21 years ago. I loved it. I grew up with one. It was the good one, not the Artisan model. I broke it. It didn't wear out, I broke it trying to force the bowl up when it was full of frozen cookie dough. We took it apart and it is, indeed, broken.

When we got married I rarely made bread and mostly used it for cookies, muffins, etc. Now I make sourdough bread pretty often and make cookies maybe once a month. I don't do muffins or anything hardly ever. So, the Bosch seems like the perfect choice, right?

There's also the Breville mixer which gets great reviews and is comparable to my old KitchenAid. And, I can get a professional model KitchenAid, 8 qt, for around $500 (retails for about $800.) The professional line is still made by Hobart.

Given that I make a lot of bread and would love to be able to mix more than 2 loaves, I think I'm leaning toward the Bosch. But this is an expensive purchase and I hope it's my last mixer.

Reviews? If you have a Bosch what attachments do you actually use?
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 04:33 PM   #2
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bosch Universal Mixer or ???

I have the Bosch compact. We got it in 2005 and it's still going strong! I use the food processor. Our blender attachment broke and I don't recommend that one. Also if you use it to make something hot (like mashed potatoes) it will freeze up and you have to wait for it to cool down to work again. But the universal has a different design so it might not do this.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (08-06-2017), Soliloquy (08-06-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 04:45 PM   #3
mommychem
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Butterfly on my face :)

mommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just here to mourn the loss of your Kitchenaid.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mommychem For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (08-06-2017), mommylove (01-07-2018), Soliloquy (08-06-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 06:26 PM   #4
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

My mom's Bosch mixer was 15 years old when she gave it to a friend and bought a new one. I've had my Bosch since 2009 and it's doing well. I got the cookie paddles for it and the blender. If I were to get it today (and it looks like Pleasant Hill Grain has a great sale right now!), I'd get the baker's package.

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Llee For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (08-06-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 07:23 PM   #5
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the reviews.

I always mash potatoes by hand. I did read that the Bosch isn't good for hot things like meringue and marshmallows. I make those things maybe once every other year (if ever) and I can use my handheld electric mixer. I don't make dessert very often and, when I do, I refuse to do anything complicated. Pie, brownies, birthday cake, and cookies are the extent of what I'm willing to do for a dessert. I have a food processor that I love.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:33 PM   #6
Lady Grey
Rose Garden

Lady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond repute

I've had a Bosch Universal for 2 years. I make 5 loaves of bread at a time. (it can make 6, depending on your recipe and bread pan size) It can also make a HUGE batch of cookie dough, which I do several times a year.

I have the cookie dough paddles and a food processor attachment, because that was the package Costco was selling at the time. I've never taken the processor out of the box, but the cookie dough paddles are nice. If you are making a full bowl of cookie dough they recommend you switch to the dough hook once you add flour - I just start with it and it's fine.
Soliloquy (08-06-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 09:50 AM   #7
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

im also here sad to see your kitchen aid broke

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (08-07-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 09:58 AM   #8
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

I'm curious to see what you get. My Kitchen Aid is also 21 years old. Whatever I choose, it will have a bigger bowl than what I currently have. The option of two bowl sizes appeals to me, too.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (08-07-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 10:52 AM   #9
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Here is the professional, 8 qt KitchenAid mixer. If you add to cart you can see the price.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/kit...KSM8990WH.html
Old 08-07-2017, 11:54 AM   #10
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not so sure about the orange cord.

Mine is the basic white Classic Series mixer. It's still working, but is starting to look a little ratty. Not enough of a reason to replace it, though. And...I love the white cord!
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.

Last edited by RiverRock; 08-07-2017 at 11:57 AM.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:54 PM   #11
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

An orange cord! . Yes, that eliminates it for me. . I wasn't leaning that way anyway.

What you have is the same model I had. It did a lot of hard work for me, over the years. My mom had the exact same one and she gave it away after my dad died. She didn't want it on the counter even though she has tons of counter space.

Now that I'm thinking of it, maybe she put it in her basement ... I'll have to ask her.
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (08-09-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 04:57 PM   #12
Lady Grey
Rose Garden

Lady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I would have to find some white duct tape or something for that cord.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:06 AM   #13
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

RIP, Kitchen Aid.

Subbing to see what you end up with!

Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:48 AM   #14
easygoinmomma
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Silence is golden unless you have boys. Then it means they're into something!

easygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Bosch and love it. Depending on how big I make the loaves I can make 3 or 4.
and momma to all boys
The Manatee
Lishy
Doodles
Goose
and Charlie the litter trained Chihuahua
easygoinmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to easygoinmomma For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (08-09-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 12:44 PM   #15
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Also mourning your loss! So sorry!

How does a Bosch do with cake and icing?

My Kitchen Aid was a gift from DH's grandmother when DH and I were going to be married. She was so excited to give it to me, and I was so excited to receive one!

I love to know that the one with the orange cord is still made by Hobart.
Mine is likely on it's way out. It works OK motor wise most of the time (sometimes if I double dough, it will get hot.) However, the beater is always needing adjustment before every use or it scrapes the bowl. I don't know how much longer it will last.
I have had the "Bosch or KA" debate, too. I think I have even posted about it here before.

MelsKitchenCafe.com had a blog post comparing, but I haven't read it.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote