Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:19 AM   #1
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Does smoke smell come out of a boys' suit jacket?

I bought a boys' suit jacket on ebay and it smells like smoke. The dry cleaning place told me they could ozone it for $10 and that would work well. Does it really work well?

I bought the jacket for $14.99 with free shipping. I can return it if I pay shipping, but then I'll have to find a new one. The jacket I bought was to go with a matching pair of pants ds already has. It's from Target, and Target no longer makes the same suit, so if I were to buy a new one I'd have to buy a whole new suit for $50 (unless I can find a used one or something).

So the ozoning seems cheapest, but will it work???? Or is there something else I should do that works better? None of us are allergic to smoke, but I hate the idea of my child breathing that!

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day

Last edited by Aerynne; 02-24-2017 at 04:03 PM.
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:35 AM   #2
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does smoke smell come out of a boys' suit jacket?

Will the seller discount it at all to pay for the cleaning? I have had luck with baking soda and hanging outside. I am guessing it is for Easter? So you have a few weeks to hang it and see

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:43 AM   #3
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseforjoy View Post
Will the seller discount it at all to pay for the cleaning? I have had luck with baking soda and hanging outside. I am guessing it is for Easter? So you have a few weeks to hang it and see
I just decided to return it because I don't want to think it might be damaging his lungs even if I can't smell it (this is my son who had reactive airway disease as a baby and toddler).

I wrote her a message saying I am returning it and since it was a problem with the item I don't want to have to pay for return shipping. She refunded my money but didn't send a message. So now how does the return shipping work?

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

Old 02-24-2017, 01:59 PM   #4
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

I'm most definitely an INFJ. ;-)

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
I just decided to return it because I don't want to think it might be damaging his lungs even if I can't smell it (this is my son who had reactive airway disease as a baby and toddler).

I wrote her a message saying I am returning it and since it was a problem with the item I don't want to have to pay for return shipping. She refunded my money but didn't send a message. So now how does the return shipping work?
For an "item not as described" (which is what this is unless the seller described the smell) the seller is supposed to pay return shipping. Message the seller again and ask what they want to do from here since you will not be paying shipping. For inexpensive items, esp clothing, sellers often choose not to have you mail the item back but you need to get that in writing from the seller before you get rid of it. If you haven't heard from the seller after 24-48 hours, contact eBay customer service. EBay always seems to side with the customer.
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WaitPatientlyOnTheLord For This Useful Post:
Llee (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 02:03 PM   #5
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Default Re: Does smoke smell come out of a boys' suit jacket? ETA: now need ebay return help

Okay, now she says I don't need to mail it back.

Now what do I do with the jacket??? Now I feel if I really had to pay something to get it cleaned and I would know it was safe for my ds, I wouldn't be so far into the hole (since I just got the jacket for free). Is there a kind of cleaning that really makes things safe?

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

Old 02-24-2017, 02:08 PM   #6
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does smoke smell come out of a boys' suit jacket? ETA: now need ebay return help

I'd ask the dry cleaner if they just use ozone or if they "clean" it first and then ozone it. Because the fumes from dry cleaning are just as harmful as cigarette smoke.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Llee (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 03:08 PM   #7
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
I'd ask the dry cleaner if they just use ozone or if they "clean" it first and then ozone it. Because the fumes from dry cleaning are just as harmful as cigarette smoke.
Really? what's your source on that? I do dryclean his suit coat (infrequently, but I do). And dh dry cleans his suit as well (also infrequently). So if I'm going to dry clean it anyway, it makes no difference if it has smoke residue or not?

I also read an article that said that ozone plus cigarette smoke was worse for you than cigarette smoke, but that was mainly about using it in rooms, not in clothing. When they ozone clothing do the chemicals go away or do they stay there?

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

Old 02-24-2017, 03:40 PM   #8
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Dry cleaning fluids are organic solvents. Nasty stuff. I don't have sources but I'm sure they're easy to find. Having studied organic chemistry I don't buy things that need to be dry cleaned. I don't think wearing clothing that is dry cleaned infrequently is a cancer ticket but I put it in the same category as second & third hand cigarette smoke. Avoid whenever possible.

I'm not familiar with the ozone cigarette smoke mix.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (02-24-2017), tempus vernum (02-24-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 07:21 AM   #9
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

I would honestly not take the risk and just pass the coat along. (That said, my family is rather chemically sensitive.)
Is your son at a size where going up in size would not be too poor fitting so you could justify the increased expense a little bit?
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WanderingJuniper For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 09:15 AM   #10
KSL
Rose Bouquet

KSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant future

I often wash things in washer on delicate that are dry clean only. And it works fine. Since you have nothing to loose at this point with a free jacket, maybe you could just wash it on cold/delicate cycle and then air dry it outside to see if smell comes out?

---------- Post added at 10:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 AM ----------

My husband sometimes has to be in people's homes who smoke for work (medical home visits) and his clothes stink when he comes home but it always comes out with washing.

Married to the Haitian Sensation since 2007
Mom to S, DS since October 2009

and

E, DD born February 22nd, 2016

KSL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KSL For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (02-25-2017), ECingMama (02-25-2017), Llee (02-25-2017), Quiteria (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 10:08 AM   #11
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

I'm most definitely an INFJ. ;-)

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSL View Post
I often wash things in washer on delicate that are dry clean only. And it works fine. Since you have nothing to loose at this point with a free jacket, maybe you could just wash it on cold/delicate cycle and then air dry it outside to see if smell comes out?
I do this too. Lay flat to dry... Is it wool?
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:12 AM   #12
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitPatientlyOnTheLord View Post
I do this too. Lay flat to dry... Is it wool?
No. It's just from Target. I wash the pants in the washer all the time with no problem and it appears to be the same fabric.

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

Old 02-25-2017, 11:42 AM   #13
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

I'd probably wash, ozone if it still smells, and wash again.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 05:29 PM   #14
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

I agree. I don't dry clean anything. I didn't even realize the potential health damage involved, the cost itself deterred me.

I absolutely agree that at this point I'd wash on cold on a gentle cycle in the dryer and lay flat to dry and see if that helps. We have an ozone machine and it's done wonders for getting nasty pet and smoke smells out of rentals, so if you have access to one I would most definitely try it. Like the pp said, you're not out anything, it's worth a shot before giving up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (02-25-2017), Llee (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 05:47 PM   #15
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

I've washed so many things labeled "dry clean only." A suit jacket will probably need a good ironing but I'd try it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (02-25-2017), Aerynne (02-25-2017), Llee (02-25-2017)