Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] > Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public* A public forum.

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 06:36 PM   #31
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation
Default Re: Spin off: Home school vs. public school at home

because GCM is just an amazing place

Old 02-14-2008, 06:38 PM   #32
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

Bar/Bat Mitzvah picture with husband Michael.

Location: Within sight and earshot of the Disneyland fireworks
Heather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove
because GCM is just an amazing place

:luvgcm

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Taylor Jordan11/15/04 SkyeDakota10/12/05
Life is a pile of good things & bad things The good things don't always soften the bad things but the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things
Old 02-14-2008, 06:41 PM   #33
Teribear
Deactivated

Teribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Micaela

Still, in many states you have to report to the govt in some fashion or other. Are parents in those states not truly homeschooling?
I could be wrong, as I really haven't researched any state other than my own. To be perfectly honest, I am not homeschooling under my state law. The only way to legally homeschool in TN is to go through the LEA (local education authority) which puts me right back under the jurisdiction of the public school. Or to homeschool through a church related school (CRS) that reports high schoolers to the LEA which AGAIN puts me right back under the jurisdiction of the public school. OR have my daughter "attend" a private CRS where I am considered faculty member and my home is considered a satellite campus of the private CRS where my daughter is enrolled. I therefore I fall under the requirements of that school not the requirements of the state schools. Ironically in TN this is the route that actually provides us the most educational freedom.

A large percentage of homeschoolers use the Jeter Memo option (which is the one I just described) because as a rule the cover schools let us do whatever we want in regards to our children's education and all they really do is keep our records for us. We pick curriculum, they approve it. We choose how to teach it. When she graduates she will have a diploma from Gateway Christian School. In order to "homeschool" the way our predecessors wanted us to have the freedom to homeschool I have to chose an option that makes me technically NOT a homeschooler in the eyes of the law. I understand the paradox, I really do.

I'd love to see "alternative schooling" become the catch-all term. I think it would bind us together in a way that simply homeschooling doesn't. But until that happens we need to be clear about what it is that we are actually doing. I homeschool but I'm not a homeschooler if that makes a lick of sense. Just as you homeschool but you're not a homeschooler either.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:46 PM   #34
Peaceful Meadows
Rose Garden

Peaceful Meadows has disabled reputation

Quote:
My biggest concern is when those who use "alternative school" are looked down upon or not included in HS circles as a result of how one labels it. There is a mom at my congregation who was open and friendlyto me when I talked about HSing my child. And she doesn't doesnt seem to mind those in private or public. But when she found out I was in a charter she pretty much turned on me And some groups seriously wont let you in.
That happens all, too, often.

That's why as much as I worry about government using VA's to take away homeschooling freedoms, that I make sure to let the VA parents know that I see them as homeschooling moms and accept them. I share many of the same feelings about VAs as those of you who refuse to call it homeschooling but not matter how much I personally dislike VAs, the parents using them are homeschooling in my mind because they are teaching their children at home and they never ever should be excluded from homeschooling support groups, gatherings, etc. They should be accepted and loved.

Feel free to visit my little nook
Old 02-14-2008, 06:52 PM   #35
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation

Quote:
Still, in many states you have to report to the govt in some fashion or other. Are parents in those states not truly homeschooling?
That's a good point. As I understand it for me to homeschool I will have to pay someone to evaluate the information I put together explaining our school work, so they can report back to the school district about what we're doing.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:58 PM   #36
J3K
Deactivated

Hi ! I'm Myrtle. I like to pretend I'm an R.O.U.S.

J3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond repute

wow Teri.... I had no idea you had to jump through so many hoops just to have your God given right...to keep your child at home. Wow.

I'm suddenly feeling very blessed to be hs'ing in Missouri....
Old 02-14-2008, 07:05 PM   #37
loveberry

One thing about the term "alternative school" is that it's already being used for institutional schooling situations that are alternatives to traditional situations.

I was in EOP - Educational Opportunities Program - in high school. It was basically an alternative to traditional high school, and was referred to as "alternative school" by some.

I took half my classes with EOP instructors, in one big area, with the same students. I took the other half of my classes at the regular high school but we also had the option of doing a kind of junior internship for credit at some job in town during those hours. EOP was a closed environment, you took your EOP classes in the morning or afternoon, all hours run together, and it was a very cool community feel and without it I might have quit school. It was absolutely alternative and absolutely unrelated to anything at home or parent directed.

So I am just wondering if these types of alternatives are included in the general idea of educational choice, or not, or if I am just muddying the waters further.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:08 PM   #38
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

add to that the fact that "charter" school means different things in different states and all sorts of other linguistic hoops

Dare I suggest that pure homeschooling go back to the original definition of Unschooling as being detached and unaffiliated with the state in any way?
Old 02-14-2008, 07:12 PM   #39
Teribear
Deactivated

Teribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond repute

WOW! I looked at Missouri's laws and I WISH it were that simple here. In reality it sounds a lot more complicated than it is. I send my registration paperwork to Gateway with a list of what I'm using as curriculum. I send grades twice yearly. Boom. Done. You learn to work within the system to accomplish what you need to.

I'm looking at possibly being the MHEA legislative liason next year and this has become something I'm super aware of the necessity for accurately stating what we're doing in the correct legalese now.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:14 PM   #40
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

Arizona we just let the superintendant of public schools know before we start (or after ) and then we never hear from the state again and a lot of our legislation was actually written by a homeschooling high schooler whose family got in with a state legislator who sponsored the bills
Old 02-14-2008, 07:19 PM   #41
loveberry

Yeah, Arizona rocks. The only issue with having this little amount of oversight is that I think there is backlash coming eventually. Hopefully after Alex is grown. :/

Old 02-14-2008, 07:20 PM   #42
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveberry
Yeah, Arizona rocks. The only issue with having this little amount of oversight is that I think there is backlash coming eventually. Hopefully after Alex is grown. :/
I don't expect that at all because the success of homeschoolers here is amazing And he can be considered for grade based scholarships at the state funded universities and lots of scholarship money is offered to graduating homeschoolers from here
Old 02-14-2008, 07:53 PM   #43
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

Bar/Bat Mitzvah picture with husband Michael.

Location: Within sight and earshot of the Disneyland fireworks
Heather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
add to that the fact that "charter" school means different things in different states and all sorts of other linguistic hoops

Dare I suggest that pure homeschooling go back to the original definition of Unschooling as being detached and unaffiliated with the state in any way?
If i understand you correctly, you are saying HS should be defined as is no strings whatsoever, but what if you are in a state like Terri's? CA actually has more freedom than that - you just declare yourself a private school and go your merry way. It seems like faulting a person for the state they live in?

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Taylor Jordan11/15/04 SkyeDakota10/12/05
Life is a pile of good things & bad things The good things don't always soften the bad things but the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things
Old 02-14-2008, 08:04 PM   #44
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

Quote:
Quote:

If i understand you correctly, you are saying HS should be defined as is no strings whatsoever, but what if you are in a state like Terri's? CA actually has more freedom than that - you just declare yourself a private school and go your merry way. It seems like faulting a person for the state they live in?
I would suggest that homeschoolers in states that do not allow pure homeschooling need to keep up the fight and not give in. Work to change laws; work to fight for rights to educate. I'm not faulting homeschoolers in those states; I'm faulting the laws of those states
Old 02-14-2008, 08:11 PM   #45
Titus2Momof4
Rose Garden

Titus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Savannah
But just TRY to put yourself in the place of a mama who may not be as confident as you are to just jump out on her own, or who may not be able to afford to buy materials to homeschool. Then how does "You're not REALLY a homeschooler" sound?
Awwwwwwww!

I'm going to tell you like I tell my kids: It doesn't matter what other people say- what matters is how YOU feel about yourself. If I say you're not REALLY a girl (because of my opinion that all girls xyz), does that make you any less a girl, in your mind? If you consider yourself a homeschooler, then you are a homeschooler. As someone else pointed out, the term "homeschooling" usually refers to the environment, not so much who is 'in charge'. You're a homeschooler, hon.

And by the way- what about those in states who DO have to report to the state, have annual evaluations, report progress and attendance, etc, but aren't in VCA's? Are we now going to say that they cannot possibly be homeschoolers because they have to answer to the state?

Abby (15) Lexi (15) Loralai (13) Noah (11)

Closed Thread