Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
jenny_islander
Rose Trellis

jenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond repute
Default When to Get Help--Handwriting

Sophia still has trouble with two areas: hitting the target line exactly and keeping her lines perfectly vertical or horizontal. Her lines look, to be frank, snaggletoothed. At her age, should she be doing better than this? Do I need to get help from the homeschool office when they reopen on July 1?
Wife to John, December 18, 1999 ~ Mother to Sophia, March 13, 2004 ~ Mother to Eva, June 10, 2006 ~ Mother to Matthew, December 21, 2009 ~ Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will lift me up.
jenny_islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When to Get Help--Handwriting

How are her fine motor skills otherwise? How is her drawing?

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
NovelMama
Rose Garden

Our sweet family, 2017

NovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond repute

That would ping my radar as a teacher.
Inspirational Women's Fiction author
Children's storybook author
Homeschool coach
NovelMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
jenny_islander
Rose Trellis

jenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
How are her fine motor skills otherwise? How is her drawing?
She is currently at a level of "stick figures with expressive faces." She can also compose a picture from a description, such as a ship steaming past a smoking volcano on a moonlit night, and draw from memory, although the drawings are filled with symbols such as swirls for wind.

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovelMama View Post
That would ping my radar as a teacher.
Can I scan in some of her latest copywork and PM it to you?

FYI, her dad can imagine a piece of furniture in his head, freehand a diagram, and build it from the diagram, and he can draw cute little cats and faces with depth and shading, but his handwriting is about on her level. Actually I think hers may be slightly better now. He didn't get a formal diagnosis AFAIK, but seeing as how he had to have a nun standing behind him helping him point his Rs and Ks the right way with her hand over his on the pencil, I think he has dysgraphia. He also shows signs of dyslexia, and Sophia still mixes up b and d when reading if she feels tired.

Time to get her into the resource room? :/
Wife to John, December 18, 1999 ~ Mother to Sophia, March 13, 2004 ~ Mother to Eva, June 10, 2006 ~ Mother to Matthew, December 21, 2009 ~ Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will lift me up.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #5
NovelMama
Rose Garden

Our sweet family, 2017

NovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond repute

She's 9, right? So...finished 3rd, going into 4th? Stick figures at 4th grade would concern me, too. And sure, if you'd like to scan in some samples and PM, go for it. Did her teacher say anything about it last year? Is it the same if she prints or if she writes in cursive?
Inspirational Women's Fiction author
Children's storybook author
Homeschool coach
NovelMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #6
jenny_islander
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovelMama View Post
She's 9, right? So...finished 3rd, going into 4th? Stick figures at 4th grade would concern me, too. And sure, if you'd like to scan in some samples and PM, go for it. Did her teacher say anything about it last year? Is it the same if she prints or if she writes in cursive?
Homeschool director hasn't said anything one way or another although I submit writing samples with every report. Also, she's been doing things "my own style," as she puts it, when I'm not standing over her. This includes pushing up from the baseline when she's supposed to pull down from the headline, etc. She thinks she's ready to go on to cursive. I disagree.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
lenswyf
Rose Garden

lenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond repute

You might find it helpful to read some articles on http://www.diannecraft.org/ while you wait for feedback from the office or from Novelmama. That might help you assess where she should be and what the problem might be.
tempus vernum (06-21-2013)
Old 06-21-2013, 05:51 PM   #8
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenswyf View Post
You might find it helpful to read some articles on http://www.diannecraft.org/ while you wait for feedback from the office or from Novelmama. That might help you assess where she should be and what the problem might be.
I would totally look into Dianne Craft

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #9
jenny_islander
Rose Trellis

Thanks for the tips--I'm trying the midline exercise this week.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #10
jenny_islander
Rose Trellis

So today's exercise was to have Sophia look at arm's length through a hole poked in a piece of paper and focus on an object on the wall. I was to cover one of her eyes, then the other, and have Sophia report when the object disappeared. I tried it on myself and, yep, my dominant eye is on the same side as my dominant hand.

But Sophia can't even resolve the signal from both eyes at arm's length. She sees two holes with two images through them. If she wants to see just one hole, she has to close one eye! How did I never notice this?!

She reads well, occasionally skipping a line, and she can focus on objects farther away, but arm's length defeats her ability to focus. Any other mamas have kids with this problem? Does it affect their writing or other fine motor skills?