Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:55 AM   #16
HadassahSukkot
Deactivated

being oppressed means the absence of choices - bell hooks

HadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: oatmeal cookies what did I do wrong?

This might help: http://www.faithfullyglutenfree.com/...ie-crisis.html
HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 12:16 PM   #17
HadassahSukkot
Deactivated

being oppressed means the absence of choices - bell hooks

HadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It does not replace the bulk or structure of sugar in a baking recipe, so volume will be less. If used in baking to replace sugar, you may have to add an additional dry ingredient such as ground/processed coconut, dates, raisins or nut meal to obtain the right texture, especially in cakes and cookies. Or try baking the recipe in a slightly smaller pan. Try using an 8x4-inch loaf pan rather than a 9x5-inch loaf pan, for instance.

Cooked powdered stevia can be bitter. To my taste buds, it leaves an unpleasant aftertaste in baked goods- so I would use it sparingly, and add extra vanilla or cinnamon.
http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.de...gar-blues.html

perhaps try some of these recipes that have been worked on in a test kitchen? http://elanaspantry.com/tag/stevia/
HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HadassahSukkot For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (10-03-2015)
Old 10-03-2015, 08:31 PM   #18
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, stevia.

I have been putting oatmeal in the blender to make oat flour and it's been a great, inexpensive way to bake gluten free treats.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (10-03-2015)
Old 10-12-2015, 09:27 PM   #19
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

update.. SO I baked these again. Just for experimental purposes I did the exact same recipe except I used actual baking approved stevia.
They still didn't spread any so the shape they went into the over was pretty much how they came out. SO I do think the stevia may affect that (its the cup to cup kind so the fillers might account for that).
it was this http://www6.netrition.com/pyure_stev...ble_blend.html
the flour used was this
http://www.pillsburybaking.com/produ...ree-flour-1553
regular brown sugar (only did 1/2 cup the rest was the stevia)
However despite the shape these did come out light and crispy on the outside and soft chewy inside. Taste was 1000xs better..
Its still not idea not sure if I'll do another stevia batch I was trying to lower the sugar content a little but not sure it was worth the finial results. They were still a bit dry for my taste maybe I'm expecting too much though? Not sure if I'll try this particular recipe with all real sugars or not.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:14 AM   #20
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I've never looked at that brand but the other "cup for cup" stevia blends state on the label that, in baked goods, you can only replace half of the sugar. Pure stevia extract requires such a miniscule amount to add sweetness that they have to bulk up the cup-for-cup formulas, usually with some kind of fiber or sugar alcohol.

Regular sugar melts and contributes to the chemical reactions of baking, the fillers neither melt nor react with the fat and leavening in the same way.

Baking with stevia is just a bust, IME. I even bought a stevia cookbook. Every single recipe has either date paste or some other concentrated form of fruit sugar as a main ingredient. If I wanted to bake with date paste, I'd bake with date paste, I wouldn't need stevia!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Maedchen (10-13-2015), milkmommy (10-13-2015), Quiteria (10-13-2015)
Old 10-13-2015, 10:55 AM   #21
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
I've never looked at that brand but the other "cup for cup" stevia blends state on the label that, in baked goods, you can only replace half of the sugar. Pure stevia extract requires such a miniscule amount to add sweetness that they have to bulk up the cup-for-cup formulas, usually with some kind of fiber or sugar alcohol.

Regular sugar melts and contributes to the chemical reactions of baking, the fillers neither melt nor react with the fat and leavening in the same way.

Baking with stevia is just a bust, IME. I even bought a stevia cookbook. Every single recipe has either date paste or some other concentrated form of fruit sugar as a main ingredient. If I wanted to bake with date paste, I'd bake with date paste, I wouldn't need stevia!
yea I think your right. Plus heck they are cookies we dont do a lot of sugar otherwise I might as well just make then tradtition style (but gluten free)
Old 10-13-2015, 12:55 PM   #22
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute

If you really want to cut down on the sugar, why not make a cracker with the oatmeal flour and then just dust it with sugar on the top.

The chemistry is just not going to work without the sugar called for in the recipes. Sorry.

Personally, I think it is probably healthier to do without than to use the cup for cup chemicals, but that is MHO.
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maedchen For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (10-13-2015)
Old 10-13-2015, 02:21 PM   #23
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedchen View Post
If you really want to cut down on the sugar, why not make a cracker with the oatmeal flour and then just dust it with sugar on the top.

The chemistry is just not going to work without the sugar called for in the recipes. Sorry.

Personally, I think it is probably healthier to do without than to use the cup for cup chemicals, but that is MHO.
I was just having a moment wondering if I could/ Honestly I don't need to make less sugary things we just don't eat enough sugary stuff to really worry about a single batch of cookies made every other month or so.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:24 PM   #24
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute

I meant no offense. I don't know if using the coconut sugar would work the same. It is lower on the glycemic scale. I would think next batch, cut down on it by 1/4 or 1/3 cup and see how that batch goes.

I would think a cracker just rolled in a dusting of sugar (similar to Mexican Wedding cookies) would work. Or add molasses, but it is going to take a lot of experimenting for the chemistry to workout.
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maedchen For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (10-13-2015)
Old 10-13-2015, 05:52 PM   #25
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Coconut sugar can be substituted in equal amounts, as can sucanat.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:04 PM   #26
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedchen View Post
I meant no offense. I don't know if using the coconut sugar would work the same. It is lower on the glycemic scale. I would think next batch, cut down on it by 1/4 or 1/3 cup and see how that batch goes.

I would think a cracker just rolled in a dusting of sugar (similar to Mexican Wedding cookies) would work. Or add molasses, but it is going to take a lot of experimenting for the chemistry to workout.
Oh no offense taken. I was more trying for a bit more diabetic friendly..for this though ill find ways to reduce in other ways.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:14 PM   #27
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

success! I made some simple peanut butter chocolate chip cookies. I basically followed the suggested recipe on the back on a Pillsbury gluten free all purpose flour mix.. So not oatmeal but The only changes was it called for shortening and I used coconut oil. I used a combo of traditional brown sugar and pure cane sugar (yea for insulin pumps ). I alos let the dough chill before baking... They came out sooooo good they came out looking great not thin and spread out not weird and grainy just delicious.
So well dessert guess I just need to use sugar and then control how much I eat at once.

Deanna
HadassahSukkot (11-25-2015), Quiteria (11-24-2015)