Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 05-19-2010, 12:07 PM   #76
me
Rose Garden

me has disabled reputation
Default Re: Anyone want to have our annual sunscreen discussion? LOL

Lol, I feel silly. I should have said burn. I have some native american blood (I don't burn but that would have best described it) so I was thinking along the lines of, if the oil doesn't sizzle my skin then ill start putting that on the kids to keep their skin from drying from the chlorine. Along with clay baths after, I absolutely hate that americans are so stuck on chlorine instead of salt. But that's another topic, right
me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to me For This Useful Post:
Lady TS (05-19-2010)
Old 05-19-2010, 12:20 PM   #77
Herbwifemama
Deactivated

dd running through the sprinkler last summer

Herbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant future

http://www.foodrenegade.com/should-you-use-sunscreen/

I'll say it again: I don't need sunscreen now that I take CLO on a regular basis. And I'm super fair and used to burn in 5 minutes. I DO wear a hat and am careful about keeping my shoulders covered, though.
Herbwifemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:26 PM   #78
cheri
Rose Garden

cheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond repute

We're pasty white. I am, dh is, and dd is. We burn and never tan. We do hats and sleeves and all of that, but if we're going to be out on a boat all day, at an amusement park, etc. I use sunscreen. I've been using Jason's Earth Best on my dd http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...66&catid=12101

The ingredients seem safer than a lot of others available. The skin deep website rates it at only a 2.

The only downside is that it's super thick and it makes you look like you slapped paste on your face if you don't really spread it in. (And you have to REALLY spread it- otherwise you look silly- you should see some of our Disney World pics from 2 years ago! )

cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:03 AM   #79
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Lady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheri View Post
We're pasty white. I am, dh is, and dd is. We burn and never tan. We do hats and sleeves and all of that, but if we're going to be out on a boat all day, at an amusement park, etc. I use sunscreen. I've been using Jason's Earth Best on my dd http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...66&catid=12101

The ingredients seem safer than a lot of others available. The skin deep website rates it at only a 2.

The only downside is that it's super thick and it makes you look like you slapped paste on your face if you don't really spread it in. (And you have to REALLY spread it- otherwise you look silly- you should see some of our Disney World pics from 2 years ago! )
Yeah, that's kinda like what the Badger Balm stuff is like. At least it smells good(I think--lavender-y)
and Avery, with the Lord September 2010

In essentials, Unity
In non-essentials, Liberty
In all things, Charity

My Blogs: Living Healthy in the Modern World and Wordy Musings
Lady TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:09 AM   #80
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

Which kind of CLO do you take Herbwifemama? Is it that fermented kind at the link?
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:30 AM   #81
Herbwifemama
Deactivated

Herbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant future

Nope, I just take Nordic Naturals Arctic-D.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:54 AM   #82
Auroras mom
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Bringing wacky back

Auroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond repute

Herbwifemomma, are you at the beach or pool in tropical climates all day frequently? I always wonder at the pale folks who say they don't need sunscreen and what their actual sun sexposure is. In FL, we need sunscreen - at least my family of blue euro-celtic americans do, LoL.

"You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of dust
You make beautiful things out of us
You make things new
You are making me new"
- Gungor
Auroras mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:21 PM   #83
curlymopmom
Deactivated

curlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond repute

curlymopmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:32 PM   #84
Herbwifemama
Deactivated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auroras mom View Post
Herbwifemomma, are you at the beach or pool in tropical climates all day frequently? I always wonder at the pale folks who say they don't need sunscreen and what their actual sun sexposure is. In FL, we need sunscreen - at least my family of blue euro-celtic americans do, LoL.
No, I'm in the midwest, and not outside all day every day. However, when we did go to the beach in FL, I still didn't wear sunscreen, still didn't burn.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:23 AM   #85
Country Bumpkin
Rose Bush

Country Bumpkin is a jewel in the roughCountry Bumpkin is a jewel in the roughCountry Bumpkin is a jewel in the roughCountry Bumpkin is a jewel in the rough

I take Nordic Naturals fish oil and I burn like a lobster after being in the sun for more than 5 to 10 minutes. I have red hair and ghostly skin. LOL
My dh's parents are in Florida and we spend a lot of time visiting there and hanging out in the pool. We need to use sunscreen because being shaded and only going out in low sun isn't always an option. My kids where rash guard swimsuits with long sleeves, so they only have sunscreen on their faces, hands and legs. We use Soleo and California Baby no frag.

Like this.
swim shirt
swim shorts

You can find good sunscreen at EWG.
http://www.ewg.org/2010sunscreen/bes...rt-sunscreens/
http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/bro...baby+sunscreen
DS
, (01/'09), DD (06/'11)...
and, OH DEAR, SURPRISE!...
Sweet little DD (08/23/2013)

Wifie to my "bestest" friend (07/99)

Country Bumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #86
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a link that came out this year...

http://www.ewg.org/2010sunscreen/bes...rt-sunscreens/

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:24 AM   #87
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.healthychild.com/first-ai...nscreens-safe/

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
Old 05-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #88
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

This is an old thread but thought I would bump it! Tis that time of year! I have a link for homemade sunscreen to add to our list!!

http://frugallysustainable.com/2012/...ade-sunscreen/

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

Old 05-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #89
blondie
Rose Garden

A little bit crunchy, a little bit rock n' roll!

blondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond repute

http://www. scarletsnaturals.com/shop/scarlets-sunblock-4/

We have this right now. I think it's pretty decent.

Lilla Rose Stylist
blondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #90
Amy
Rose Trellis

chocolate distraction

Amy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond repute

What would y'all recommend for kids who are in a pool for several hours? Wouldn't coconut come off in the water? I'm specifically thinking about my sons swim meets that are about 2 hours long. I won't have time for reapplying it because I'm incredibly busy getting the kids organized for each event. Would zinc oxide be better for that? I know the diaper cream zinc oxide typically stays on in water (at least ime having to scrub it off in the tub), but I don't know about the zo in sunscreen. I could use coconut for everything else and reapply it as needed.

Side note- I forgot to put sunscreen on ds1 last meet and he just browned didn't burn. I need to do more research, but does browning lead to cancer or just burning? I'm clueless as to how that works. I just use sunscreen around the pool and the kids typically play outside without any on
ds2 (4/11)
Married to (since 12/97)

No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of anyone who isn't trying." ~ unknown
Amy is offline   Reply With Quote