Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 01-03-2008, 12:36 PM   #106
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Talk to me about coconut oil

This might be good. http://www.gonsi.com/products/produc...in_coconut_oil

You can buy their products at vitacost.com

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:37 PM   #107
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymum
i *personally* don't like tropical traditions. i think it's fermented (which maybe adds something to the health benefits? i'm not sure) but to me, it's gross. i got 2 jars and they were lumpy and just kind of ick tasting. i can take nutiva by the spoonful, but i can't with the TT or i feel ill.

i know people who swear by TT, though, so i guess you like it or you don't. i probably would get a smaller amount first to see if you like it. hth!
I didn't like it either.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
Old 01-03-2008, 12:50 PM   #108
BHope
Rose Garden

Finding the Good

BHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobluegirl
I am not sure what your question is?? sorry..

Sorry, I have the music up loud so that the baby doesn't wake up from my typing. As a result, all the noise interferes with my thought process.

My question really is two fold. Do you use TT and do you like it? And what is the difference between expeller-pressed coconut oil and virgin?

DD1 (8 years old)
DD2 (6 years old)
DD3 (4.5 years old)

Eternally missing DFS3 (stored safely in our hearts) and DFS1
Praying for Little R as she transitions into a new family.
May you always know God's love and His comfort.
BHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:11 PM   #109
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

i just looked at the nutiva, and it says expeller pressed AND virgin...

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:36 PM   #110
BHope
Rose Garden

Finding the Good

BHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond repute

I've been reading the TT site and they have a lot of interesting things to say about what they consider to be the myth of cold-pressed coconut oil. (Nutiva advertises that it's "cold-pressed below 113 degrees.")

This part jumped out at me:

Quote:
Some are claiming that there are "raw" Virgin Coconut oils that never see heat at temperatures above a certain temperature (usually slightly over 100 degrees F.) and therefore contain beneficial enzymes. However, unless one is purchasing a coconut oil that has been transported from the tropics in refrigerated containers, and is delivered to you in refrigerated delivery trucks, this is just simply not possible.
and

Quote:
Coconuts are native to the tropics, where temperatures are very hot. Any coconut oil distributed anywhere in North America has "seen heat." Shipping containers used to ship the coconut oil to the US by sea from the tropics reach temperatures of over 130 degrees. If you have a truck deliver coconut oil to your home in the summer time by any of the major carriers, temperatures inside that truck will reach up to 125 degrees. In the winter time coconut oil turns solid and MUST be heated in order to be repackaged into retail size containers from drums. Tropical Traditions uses large insulated containers that hold many drums and keep a steady temperature of between 90 to 100 degrees F. in the winter time to keep our stored oil liquid so it can be repackaged. It does take longer to liquefy 55 gallon drums this way (a few days) in the winter, but it more closely resembles ambiance air temperatures in the tropics. Many other repackagers use electric drum bands to melt the coconut oil more quickly, and temperatures inside the drum become much hotter, closer to boiling temperatures. So any coconut oil you buy will have "seen heat." But the good news is that coconuts are designed by our Maker to grow and thrive in hot climates, and the oil is not harmed in any way by these low-level heats.
The TT virgin (Green label) coconut oil is made by:
Quote:
First, coconut milk is expressed from the freshly harvested coconuts by using the pure water that is present inside the coconuts. The coconut milk is then allowed to sit for approximately half a day. During this time, the heavier water separates from the oil by sinking to the bottom, while the lighter coconut solids float to the top (curds). In between the coconut solids and the water is a crystal clear coconut oil that is completely unrefined. The oil is then slightly heated (less than boiling temperatures) for a short time (5 -15 minutes depending on air temperatures) to remove any remaining moisture, and then filtered. The result is a clear coconut oil that retains the distinct scent and taste of coconuts. This is a traditional method of coconut oil extraction that has been used in the Philippines for hundreds, if not thousands of years
But then, I was reading TT's information on their Gold Standard Virgin Coconut Oil and they do make a point of saying "The fresh coconut meat is shredded (wet milled), and then cold-pressed using the water from inside the coconuts to make coconut milk. The milk is then allowed to sit for about half a day, while the oil naturally separates from the heavier water. The oil is then filtered from the curds (coconut solids). "

And then for whatever it's worth, here is a link to the differences between the TT oils: http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/fa...r_coconut_oils

I'm still confused about the fact that the expeller pressed is considered "refined" but is still somehow superior to other coconut oils. Is it because it's not hydrogenated? Not from Copra?

DD1 (8 years old)
DD2 (6 years old)
DD3 (4.5 years old)

Eternally missing DFS3 (stored safely in our hearts) and DFS1
Praying for Little R as she transitions into a new family.
May you always know God's love and His comfort.
BHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:40 PM   #111
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

interesting...

oh, i just thought of something - i think there's a difference between the black and green labels.... i have the black label. maybe the green label is different?

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
Old 01-03-2008, 02:40 PM   #112
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

I don't know anything about Raw... but extra virgin can be expeller pressed and cold pressed.. both are good.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

Old 01-03-2008, 02:59 PM   #113
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting that you all are saying your nutiva scoops fine still - especially you Jen since you only live a few hours from me I use nutiva and it's not easy to scrape. Well, not as easy as my palm oil.

maybe it's because we keep our house so cool (between 66 and 68)

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:09 PM   #114
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

hmm... we keep our house pretty cool, too... 68 during the day and 66 at night... lol, the same as you! i keep mine in a cupboard near the fridge, do you think that makes a difference? it doesn't seem like a warm cupboard. but maybe the heat from the fridge motor?

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

Old 01-03-2008, 03:10 PM   #115
allisonintx
Rose Garden

Some Cal/Mag will probably fix that.

allisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond repute

yea, that might be it. 68degrees will have me with chattering teeth.

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen
Mother to Elizabeth 19, Andrew 17, Abigail 14 & Evelyn 12

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the world. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
. . . . . . .

allisonintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:23 PM   #116
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

yeah, but you're a tx girl, allison...

dh hates that i keep it so cool in here, but our gas bills are outrageous anyway. i feel like my mom, always saying stuff like "well, put on a sweater and some socks!" (our family seems to think we should be able to walk around in shorts and tank tops in the winter...)

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

Old 01-03-2008, 03:54 PM   #117
purstrength
Rose Garden

purstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud of

I just bought some Spectrum at Wild Oats. It definitely has some coconut taste, but it seems okay. Now I just need to remember all the places I want to use it.

I also have sensitivities to coconut, but I'm hoping that coconut oil won't cause me any problems.

Remembering Mary
purstrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:24 PM   #118
morninglory

i have pure planet xtra virgin, and it tastes soooooooo good, and is very smooth. it stays in a solid state, but scoops really easy......
Old 01-03-2008, 04:25 PM   #119
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymum
hmm... we keep our house pretty cool, too... 68 during the day and 66 at night... lol, the same as you! i keep mine in a cupboard near the fridge, do you think that makes a difference? it doesn't seem like a warm cupboard. but maybe the heat from the fridge motor?
66 to 68 is daytime. LOL it drops to about 55 at night I think. we have a timer thingy that lowers the temp at night - maybe that is it

Allison, 68 does have me shivering. I dress in layers. Born and raised in WI, I still freeze under 70 ANd yes, Jen, it's our gas bill that keeps it cool in here. BUT Alyssa always wants short sleeves and rarely wears socks. Yesterday she had on capris and it was 66 in here all day Luke's like me and gets cold easily.

But anyways, I digress . .. . .

Kat, I think Luke is allergic to coconut oil. I have our whole family off of it for a month (started this week when his rash flared up bad after getting coconut oil smeared on it) Then I'll add it back and see if that's the problem. Hope it works for you!! Is coconut in a lot of stuff? I have yet to read my labels.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:25 PM   #120
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

my nutiva has been hard hard before... right now it stays above my stove and that light is always on..so it is softer...

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1