Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Breads / Muffins *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 07-12-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
JenLovie
Deactivated

You win when you choose health. MWWR

JenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bread Help

I'm having homemade bread issues. My finished loaf always loses it's pretty dome/curved top. During the second rise it looks fine, but at some point in the oven it collapses. Any tips?
JenLovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:44 PM   #2
abh5e8
Deactivated

abh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bread Help

my last batch did that too. would love to know how to fix it.
abh5e8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
Sundance
Rose Garden

Sundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond repute

Do you possibly leave it too long for the second rise?
How hot is the oven when you put it in?

Wife to my Lumberjack,

Mom to DD1 (May 2007), DS (April 2009) &
DD2 (July 2011), DD3 (October 2013)
Sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:02 AM   #4
JenLovie
Deactivated

JenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond repute

This last loaf I followed the directions and did the second rise for an hour and the oven was 325 (per the recipe).
Old 07-13-2010, 03:44 AM   #5
MomtoJGJ
Deactivated

MomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond repute

did anyone happen to open the oven door or run through the kitchen? Mine will fall if there's pretty much any movement to the oven at all.
MomtoJGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MomtoJGJ For This Useful Post:
abh5e8 (07-28-2010)
Old 07-13-2010, 04:33 AM   #6
JenLovie
Deactivated

It may have been something along those lines. I think I may have closed the oven door a bit hard.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:41 PM   #7
Garland
Rose Trellis

Garland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond repute

When I was growing up, my mom always said not to run around or rough-house when there was bread baking. She said it would make it fall.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:52 PM   #8
HindsFeet

I think it has to do with letting it rise too long. I only let my bread rise once, but generally the second rise goes faster than the first. It's really more about knowing how far over the top of the pan to let it rise; the time is only an estimate. It will rise faster or slower on different days. Anyway - I used to have that happen a lot, but now it usually stays up pretty well.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:35 AM   #9
abh5e8
Deactivated

abh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond repute

so how far do you let it rise up? maybe i'm letting mine rise too long then?

also, if it let it rise in a warm oven, should i take it out of the oven while it preheats? or can it jsut stay in there?
Old 07-28-2010, 08:37 AM   #10
MomtoJGJ
Deactivated

MomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond repute

I let mine rise in the oven, until it gets a little above the top of the pan... then I turn the oven on and let it bake until it's nicely browned and sounds hollow when I tap it.

I don't preheat the oven for anythign though... that's a foreign concept for me I've never understood wasting the heat and time.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:43 AM   #11
abh5e8
Deactivated

hmm...maybe thats not the right way to say it. my oven takes 6 minutes from when i turn it on until its at the temp i want...then it beeps. so i always wait the 6 mins to put the food in. you mean you put everything in a cold oven and then start it?

with my bread, i've been letting it rise in the oven then just turning the oven on when it looks ready...but i was wondering if the 6 mins of getting to the right temp was somehow making it fall.

also, how do you avoid preheating? it has to go from cold to hot...right? or do you count those 6 mins (or whatever) while its warming up as part of the total cooking time? and save the time and heat that way?
Old 07-28-2010, 08:52 AM   #12
MomtoJGJ
Deactivated

I start everything in a cold oven, except for the brief time I might let it heat a tiny bit to let something rise (bread or cinnamon rolls mainly... it is literally on long enough for me to get the dough in the pan)

I don't actually count time when I cook/bake... I just look at how the finished product looks and feels. but I do put whatever it is in a cold oven and turn it on then. I don't get the oven to a certain temp before I put something in there.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:38 AM   #13
HindsFeet

You'll have to experiment with how far over the top of the pan seems optimal; for me it's about an inch over the top.

And I do take my bread out of the oven while it preheats. I don't know whether it would work with it in there or not - I've been afraid to try. After so many bread failures, I'm firmly in the camp of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."