Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 06:49 AM   #121
hsgbdmama
Deactivated

Yeah, it's winter here ...

hsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Death linked to Pearls' advice--sensitive

And I know they have used the word "whippings" more than once, and have advocated repeat punishments if they try to run away or continue crying after the initial switching/spanking/whipping.
Old 03-18-2006, 07:08 AM   #122
slingmamaof4
Rose Garden

slingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus2Momof4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JandSmama
Quote:

Actually, this part is on the Pearl's NGJ website, in the second part of their Biblical Chastisement article -- I looked it up and printed the articles to my disk. I am not going to directly quote but they do state:

* Use a section of 1/4" plumbers supply line for spankings
* That it will fit into your purse or around your neck
* That you can buy it for $1.00 or less at Home Depot or any other store of this kind
* That you get a better deal by purchasing them by the dozen
* That they can be distributed in every room of your home and you can keep one in each of your vehicles
This is so disgusting. Having one in everyroom of your house--easy access for a whipping. And that would be so easy to do when one is angry and hasn't had anytime to calm down. Thus making it much more dangerous.

Another thing that just sends off alarm bells that is mentioned in the article that the Pearls say--not to hit your kids in public or in front of others. If I had to hide the way I discipline then it is clear to me that my disciplining method is NOT okay. That is just scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadensmom
Quote:
I honestly believe that common sense does play a big role, though I also realize that some people do not seem to have much common sense, or cannot think on their own and will apply a book's methods to a T, instead of tailoring things to their family's needs
If a book should be tailored to each family's needs, as opposed to being followed to a T, because following the book to a T is dangerous - then that's not a book that should be advanced in Christian circles.

I know every person takes things from various sorces and meshes them together to make an individual family plan. I certainly do

But I refuse to use as a source any book that I couldn't safely follow exactly as written, even if I choose not to, KWIM?
Ditto!!!!!

Custom Photo Cards. PM me for details!

Old 03-18-2006, 07:10 AM   #123
Katherine

No Greater Joy, vol.2, pg 49-51 offers an extremely detailed account of stopping the car every 2-5 min. to spank a whining 2 or 3yr old boy. The reason for this discipline was that "late one night" the child wanted out of his carseat and repeated requests finally melted down into "brokenhearted crying." (MP's words in quotes) Pearl poo-poos the mother for considering that her child might be hungry, tired, or cold.

MP was riding in the car with the father and advised him to COMMAND the boy to stop crying, which the distraught child (MP calls him a brat) did not do. After each spanking, they resumed driving and the child was told to stop crying and spanked when he did not.

"I told the Father to stop the car and without recourse give him three to five licks with a switch.... the child only screamed a louder protest. At my instruction, without further rebuke, the father again stopped the car and spanked the child. Still screaming, we continued for two minutes until the father again commanded the child to be quiet. Again, no response, so the car was again stopped and the child spanked. This was repeated for about twenty miles down a lonesome highway at 11:00 on a winter night."

Titus, you seem to be suggesting that a family could follow the Pearl's teaching without being abusive if they would only use common sense or "tailor" it to fit their needs. I must disagree with you. A family would need to flatly REJECT and diverge from teachings/examples like the one I cited above in order to avoid abuse. (and there are other equally icky examples that could be listed... this one does not stand alone) I firmly believe there is NO WAY a family could follow the spirit or example of the Pearl's advice without becoming abusive. After all, the examples are given for the sole purpose of illustrating the concepts he's trying to teach. If we follow the concepts, but "tailor" them to our own situations, we will simply be creating "tailored" versions of abusing our own kids.

Strong words, I know. My wish is not to offend, but to speak plainly. I admit with horror that I mistreated my child when I was deceived by the advice of MP. No, I didn't smother him with a blanket, or beat him until he limped, or leave bruises on him, but I mistreated him all the same. I refuse to justify what I did by saying that it wasn't nearly as extreme as what someone else did. I refuse to put myself on a higher plane than Lynn Paddock. It is by God's mercy and grace alone that my heart was softened, my eyes were opened, and I was led to a different place.

I see this thread turning into a discussion/debate of the Pearl's methodology. If anyone wishes to continue that, please post in Intense Fellowship. Other comments about the newsstory itself or posting letters you have written is fine.

Old 03-18-2006, 08:02 AM   #124
This Busy Mom

Quote:
There is nothing, absolutely nothing, in their writing worthwhile that can't be learned from reasonable sources.
Thank you!!! Why sift through their garbage for little gems of how to build relationship with your children when you can find it in copious amounts from other sources that don't endorse adversarial styles of parenting??

Old 03-18-2006, 09:24 AM   #125
Marmee

I sent a letter to the reporter. Just wanted Quiltin'Grandma to know.

Old 03-18-2006, 12:05 PM   #126
QuiltinGramma
Rose Garden

QuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant future

Great ! Thanks to Lisa for the name of Dobson's book of him telling the dog story. (I really burn when I hear/see stories about animal cruelty. I should have written a loooooong time ago.

wife for 40 years to dear hubby-pastor and retired Navy chaplain
mom to DS & DD (Amber) now grown,
to Dixie Lee, a 3 yr old French Brittany,
Magnolia (Maggie), 4 month old French Brittany
and gramma to 4 wonderful grandBOYS and 1 foster granddaughter
Old 03-18-2006, 06:39 PM   #127
UltraMother
Rose Garden

UltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly don't know how far it would have gone if I had continued with the Pearl teachings and ignored my heart. I saw that the spankings would have to be much harder and much longer if I was going to try to live up to the Pearl ideal. Like someone said in a different thread, you have to keep "upgrading" your spanking implement because the child hardens himself when he sees no other way out. The "little sting" becomes ineffective, and so you have to find something more painful to get him to behave.

Babies-they just grow on you.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:08 PM   #128
slingmamaof4
Rose Garden

slingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiltinGramma
Great ! Thanks to Lisa for the name of Dobson's book of him telling the dog story. (I really burn when I hear/see stories about animal cruelty. I should have written a loooooong time ago.
Adn what furhter burns me is not only did he beat his dog, but he his using this beating as an analogy for how to treat "strong-willed" children.

Custom Photo Cards. PM me for details!

Old 03-18-2006, 08:58 PM   #129
QuiltinGramma
Rose Garden

QuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant future

Yes, I forgot to say that....but I meant too.

wife for 40 years to dear hubby-pastor and retired Navy chaplain
mom to DS & DD (Amber) now grown,
to Dixie Lee, a 3 yr old French Brittany,
Magnolia (Maggie), 4 month old French Brittany
and gramma to 4 wonderful grandBOYS and 1 foster granddaughter
Old 03-19-2006, 04:00 PM   #130
Knitted_in_the_womb

Quote:
Debra mentioned that
Quote:
Pearl advocates that you continue beating a child until his spirit is broken.
Do you have a reference for this Debra? I know that they are very big on tying strings, so that statement doesn't seem to blend with the tying strings, and to my knowledge Pearl doesn't recommend 'beating' a child.
I'm running into my limit on computer time use...but I'll just back up Debra without references. The Pearls are the master of euphamism--they use words that will not elicit negative responses from their target audience. It is not "desirable" to beat your child or crush his spirit, so they don't use those terms. No, they don't say to beat children, they say to "switch" them. No, they don't say to break a child's spirit, they say to break his will. The Pearls do not always reccommend use of plumbing supply line. I do know that I have read where the Pearls reccommend sizing the switch based on the size of the child, saying that a "branch the size of a tree limb" is appropriate for a teen. I don't know how you can hit a teen repeatedly with something this size and not consider it a "beating"--regardless of how the Pearls try to use "switching" as a euphamism. They also do state repeatedly in their materials that if you aren't getting results--that is, submission of the child's will--from implementing "switching," that you either aren't doing it hard enough or consistently enough--which translates into "beat until the spirit is broken."

Jenn

Old 03-19-2006, 04:46 PM   #131
TulipMama
Deactivated

TulipMama is on a distinguished road

Quote:
They also do state repeatedly in their materials that if you aren't getting results--that is, submission of the child's will--from implementing "switching," that you either aren't doing it hard enough or consistently enough--which translates into "beat until the spirit is broken."
Yes. And this is where I see many punitive materials, especially but not limited to the Pearls', lead parents to abuse. It is not a lack of "common sense" or abusive tendencies already in the parent. It is the complete confidence the Pearls have and state that if their ideas are not "working" that it is the parents' fault--and to really discipline children Bibically, keep using the rod of spanking harder or more frequently.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:07 PM   #132
DebraBaker

I just want to publicly thank Jen for being nice to me

I'm sort of feeling like crap and needed a kind word.

db

Old 03-19-2006, 09:25 PM   #133
Titus2Momof4
Rose Garden

Titus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to all

Quote:
Another thing that just sends off alarm bells that is mentioned in the article that the Pearls say--not to hit your kids in public or in front of others. If I had to hide the way I discipline then it is clear to me that my disciplining method is NOT okay. That is just scary.
Well, by now you have probably guessed that we are a spanking family. Just FYI, that is why I tend to lay low on this board; I know spanking is against your statement of belief, and that's fine. I can respect that, really I can I'm not a troublemaker LOL But anyway... I just wanted to say something to this comment. *I* have a rule, too, about not spanking in public. But, it is NOT because I am afraid or ashamed or worried or anything. My reason for not spanking in public is because that can be humiliating to a child (even spanking in front of sibs can be humiliating) and my intent when disciplining is not to humiliate. But when you spank in front of others, the focus shifts from what the spanking is about, to humiliation. Thus, I do not spank in public. I am not out to get attention, or humiliate my child ("Oh I'll spank you in front of everyone and let everyone see how bad you are!" ) To me, spankings are very personal and pertain to that particular child, and I will not spank in front of others (besides dh). JMO.

Abby (15) Lexi (15) Loralai (13) Noah (11)

Old 03-19-2006, 09:38 PM   #134
Titus2Momof4
Rose Garden

Titus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to all

Quote:
I'm running into my limit on computer time use...but I'll just back up Debra without references. The Pearls are the master of euphamism--they use words that will not elicit negative responses from their target audience. It is not "desirable" to beat your child or crush his spirit, so they don't use those terms. No, they don't say to beat children, they say to "switch" them. No, they don't say to break a child's spirit, they say to break his will.
Knitted...just so I understand: Are you saying that IYO there is no difference between beating a child and switching them....and that there is no difference in breaking a child's spirit and breaking his will?

Abby (15) Lexi (15) Loralai (13) Noah (11)

Old 03-19-2006, 10:40 PM   #135
TulipMama
Deactivated

TulipMama is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
Knitted...just so I understand: Are you saying that IYO there is no difference between beating a child and switching them....and that there is no difference in breaking a child's spirit and breaking his will?
I believe it is necessary to nip this in the bud. I want to remind all involved in this discussion the purpose of the UFP folder:

Quote:
The "Unprepared for Parenting" folder serves a dual function. The primary one is support and information for those affected by punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing. The second is helping one another understand/share with churches and friends who are misguided about the Bible's support for parenting as advocated by Ezzo, the Pearls, etc.

In dealing with leaving behind adversarial parenting methods, sometimes we do need to rant. Sometimes there is anger, frustration, sarcasm, mourning, bitterness, discouragement, regret. . . and forgiveness. De-Ezzoing, Re-attaching, Re-evaluating--these are messy things that bring to the surface strong feelings. This folder is a place to express these feelings and the thoughts we have about how God is working in our lives.
Also:

Quote:
* Need to debate: Go to the Intense Fellowship folder.

* Remember: Many of us have practiced punitive parenting. It's hard to come to terms with mistakes that have harmed our children. Please be gentle and patient with mothers--whether they have AP'd from the start, are just leaving behind punitive parenting, or are still looking into GBD. Many of us are still sensitive.
In case this is not clear to everyone, the UFP folder is NOT a place for a debate on spanking.

Closed Thread