Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 05-22-2006, 03:28 PM   #1
SouthPaw
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

SouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default anti-Dobson page; very interesting

This may be posted here somewhere or maybe you already know about it But I just stumbled across it today and thought it deserved to be posted for those who may have not seen it. It is a chart comparing Dobson's teachings to the advice of experts in the fields of domestic violence and child-sexual-abuse prevention.

I never thought Dobson was "That bad" even though i know his confrontational views are But this really brings out some of his worst points... in case anyone ever needs ammunition, or needs to know how what he says contradicts current knowledge about emotional and physical abuse.

http://nospank.net/perlin2.htm
SouthPaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 03:37 PM   #2
Naked Camper
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Naked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anti-Dobson page; very interesting

wow, that makes me sad I use to really like Dobson. Who would have known some of his stuff sounds so abusive. Taken out of context, that could be very scary.

Married to my best friend of 17 years
Mommy to:
baby Micheal ('03)
Malachi - 8
Corban - 5
Asher -4
Evangeline - 2

Fruit of Labor Placenta Encapsulation
Naked Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 04:35 PM   #3
greenemama
Deactivated

greenemama is on a distinguished road

Quote:
James Dobson: "Minor pain can...provide excellent motivation for the child... There is a muscle, lying snugly against the base of the neck... When firmly squeezed, it sends little messengers to the brain saying, 'This hurts; avoid recurrence at all costs'
that's so abusive!
greenemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 04:36 PM   #4
Jilly
Rose Bouquet

Jilly will become famous soon enough

Well this is an instance where I still like Dobson but I don't agree with him on his disipline stance.

Jilly
Old 05-22-2006, 05:12 PM   #5
Sara

Old 05-22-2006, 05:23 PM   #6
AmyDoll
Deactivated

AmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond repute

I knew that Dobson had some issues when I heard him on a Morning Radio program and he and his guest advocated physically sitting on your strong willed child to get them under your control.
As a former "strong willed" child I can attest that Dobson's tactics do nothing but create anger, resentment, and hostility and I'm still dealing with that anger today.
AmyDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 05:26 PM   #7
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

Bar/Bat Mitzvah picture with husband Michael.

Location: Within sight and earshot of the Disneyland fireworks
Heather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyDoll
I knew that Dobson had some issues when I heard him on a Morning Radio program and he and his guest advocated physically sitting on your strong willed child to get them under your control.
I rememer this program from when I still followed Dobsin and thought it was extreme

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Taylor Jordan11/15/04 SkyeDakota10/12/05
Life is a pile of good things & bad things The good things don't always soften the bad things but the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things
Heather Micaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 05:27 PM   #8
blessedwithboys
Rose Garden

blessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenemama
Quote:
James Dobson: "Minor pain can...provide excellent motivation for the child... There is a muscle, lying snugly against the base of the neck... When firmly squeezed, it sends little messengers to the brain saying, 'This hurts; avoid recurrence at all costs'
This was my mom's favorite. I'm sure she got it from Dobson- was very into everything he had to say. I think it was such a favored punishment because unlike smacking or spanking you can do it in a public area and nobody seems to even notice. Ecspecially b/c as kids we were mortified by it and tried to pretend it didn't hurt while she was doing it.
blessedwithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 05:43 PM   #9
MarynMunchkins
Deactivated

MarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond repute

I've been known to sit on Doug. Of course, I don't classify him as strong willed. He's classfied as having a mood disorder, and on pyschotrophic drugs for it.

The strange thing to me is that Focus on Your Child (parenting division of FOTF) actually has some great info. It's Dobson himself that seems to be generating the bulk of this garbage. At times, they even contradict each other.
MarynMunchkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 05:51 PM   #10
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

Bar/Bat Mitzvah picture with husband Michael.

Location: Within sight and earshot of the Disneyland fireworks
Heather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarynMunchkins
I've been known to sit on Doug. Of course, I don't classify him as strong willed. He's classfied as having a mood disorder, and on pyschotrophic drugs for it.
Well I have had to restrain my high needs dd and bear hug her just to keep her from attacking me. In those situtations the force is for safety of both. But if I remember this instance was more about the parent getting thier way, not protecting parent and child.

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Taylor Jordan11/15/04 SkyeDakota10/12/05
Life is a pile of good things & bad things The good things don't always soften the bad things but the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things
Heather Micaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 09:43 PM   #11
Eowyn
Deactivated
I support GCM!

I am no man!

Eowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyDoll

As a former "strong willed" child I can attest that Dobson's tactics do nothing but create anger, resentment, and hostility and I'm still dealing with that anger today.
Amen.

Signed,
Another Poster Child for the Strong Willed
Eowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:36 PM   #12
Knitted_in_the_womb

The worst "Dobson advice" I think I ever heard was on the radio on a call-in parenting program. A mother called in about a problem she was having getting her 6 year old daughter to wear dresses to church. The little girl had been sexually abused by a neighbor or friend--I forget who, not really important. Anyway, she clearly identified that the problem with dresses started when the abuse occurred. "But it was a year ago!"

Dobson's advice to the mother was to force the issue, and if the girl refused to wear dresses, it was something she should be spanked for.

I have to wonder if he would have the same attitude with a woman who was raped, and worked for an employer that required female employees to wear dresses--would he tell the employer to enforce disciplinary action on the woman, or would he encourage the employer to have sympathy for the woman's feeling of vulnerability?

Jenn
Old 05-23-2006, 07:54 PM   #13
Winkie
Rose Bouquet

Winkie is on a distinguished road

Jenn--

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarynMunchkins
The strange thing to me is that Focus on Your Child (parenting division of FOTF) actually has some great info. It's Dobson himself that seems to be generating the bulk of this garbage. At times, they even contradict each other.
I agree!! I used to get that newsletter & the advice fit very well with GBD. Made me wonder if Dr. Dobson ever read it himself.
~Wendy<br />Married to my best friend for 15+ years<br />Privileged to be raising Ethan 6/19/00, Asher 6/11/02, Isaac 11/6/04, Judah 5/10/07, &amp; Georgia Rose 4/7/09<br />Remembering two in heaven: Jordan 5/15-18/97 and Baby H. 9/1/98
Winkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 11:18 PM   #14
RubySlippers
Deactivated

There's no place like home.

RubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knitted_in_the_womb
The worst "Dobson advice" I think I ever heard was on the radio on a call-in parenting program. A mother called in about a problem she was having getting her 6 year old daughter to wear dresses to church. The little girl had been sexually abused by a neighbor or friend--I forget who, not really important. Anyway, she clearly identified that the problem with dresses started when the abuse occurred. "But it was a year ago!"

Dobson's advice to the mother was to force the issue, and if the girl refused to wear dresses, it was something she should be spanked for.
Unbelievable
RubySlippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:02 AM   #15
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

MaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! I didn't know all this.

I've always loved listening to Focus on the Family, and though I know they do various parenting books, it never occured to me to get any of them. Didn't have a clue there were things like that in them.
MaySunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote