Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 07-16-2020, 11:56 AM   #1
arelyn
Rose Trellis

Soli deo Gloria

arelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond repute
Default The 4 yr old wants to do homeschool

My monsoon baby is 4 next week and wants to do homeschool like his brothers. Usually I don't put a lot of effort into preschool or kindergarten. We have so many toys, so many art supplies. He'll learn from what's around him. But he really wants to "do homeschool time" like his brothers and he does seem a bit bored and neglected (trapped inside so much and the big brothers being too crabby to play with him much). Still with all the crazy going on in our lives right now I just can't think of what to do with him that seems like homeschool. He already has daily art time (optional, he usually passes unless my middle son joins in) and reading time (3 books of his choice after breakfast cleanup, his favorite part of the day) and a bunch of pre-school apps.

So I'm looking for ideas for a tired mom who doesn't have access to a ton of resources or support. What did you love doing with your 4 yr old? Any good websites or programs you loved?

arelyn
World traveling mama to my star my sunshine and the monsoon baby
Wife to my crazy ethnomusicologist

This road that we travel, may it be the straight and narrow. God give us peace and grace from you all the day through.
arelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:40 PM   #2
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 4 yr old wants to do homeschool

I pulled out coloring sheets that were connected to the history.

Or I would just assign certain play to my youngest.

Like when we were doing math with early bird. I would tell wiggle worm that her math was to take the beans and out them in to piles of these or what ever. It honestly drove me crazy to even have to think of something specific to do but she enjoyed being involved so so much

I am certain there are offical curriculum that would lay all of the preschool things out but I ofwn just invented specific tasks of making different groups. ( By number, color, type ( blocks vs dolls) things that start with a certain sound almost anything I could think of.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
rdsmommy (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 02:47 PM   #3
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Art with or about letters. Letter of the Week books. A is for .......... (everything in the house you can find that starts with A)

Number recognition.

Endless sorting.

"Go Find........ (4 blue things.....something yellow.......something that starts with the sound /b/)"

Calendar Notebook

Oops! That was free when I had a preschooler, but isn't any more. Sorry. This one is free; I used some of the pages with my last preschooler.

My kids all loved dot-to-dot. These go with a Letter of the Week curriculum. (If you poke around her site there are plenty of free preschool worksheets to download imbedded in the blog posts.)
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
rdsmommy (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 02:56 PM   #4
forty-two
Rose Garden

The Gospel is for Christians, too :).

forty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond repute

My middle was like that. Mostly I'd write up a page of copywork for her (letters) when I wrote up a copywork page for her big sis, whenever she asked about "doing school". I also did a read-aloud time that everyone was a part of. And I had a lot of Cuisenaire rods, so I'd have her play with those while I did math with oldest. But mostly when she asked to "do school", I'd write her up a copywork page. (She's the only one of my kids that liked to copy things before she had the ability to read them - I ended up writing words and sentences from favorite books and hymns for her, all sorts of things.)

INTJ: introverted iNtuition with extraverted Thinking
DYT 4/2: connecting intellectually and emotionally
Enneagram 5w4: a need to perceive and to feel special

Wife to my pastor dh (INTP) since 2003

Mother to:
dd13, 'R'
dd10.5, 'A'
ds8, 'J'
and two in heaven: miscarried 10/29/04 and 01/01/05

Blog: Lutherama

What we want is just one thing, not the thing.
forty-two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 02:59 PM   #5
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

Some of these activities might be fun (I used the free versions when my oldest was 4 and they're still available on the website : https://weefolkart.com/homeschool-homepage/)

---------- Post added at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 PM ----------

The seasons might not correlate well with your location though.

https://weefolkart.com/homeschool-companion-guides/
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:31 PM   #6
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

I love the Good and the Beautiful primer level. It's a pretty inexpensive download you can print, or you can buy a hard copy. It starts with learning different letters (for example this is a A this is a T- which of the letters in the square are A? Which are T?). The pictures are really pretty, too, which is nice.

My 3yo will be doing our history coloring sheets along with us and participating in science whenever and however she wants to. That is Story of the World 1 (it has lots of coloring pages- one for each lesson) and the Good and the Beautiful science usually has ways I can include her, though her finished work looks different and if she doesn't want to, that is fine, too.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says they are praying for Aerynne:
Sweet Life (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 01:54 PM   #7
Vicki_T
Rose Garden

Vicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond repute

My youngest *loved* doing mazes and dot-to-dots. I’m trying to remember what else he enjoyed.... he liked playing with the MUS blocks (still does ). He had some dry-wipe books for practising numbers and numbers. I’d sometimes set up a sand tray and hide plastic letters in it for him to find and sort through. Sometimes I’d give him a task to do like completing a jigsaw, threading beads or ‘sewing’ onto card (with pre-punched holes). Or I’d ask him to build a tower with a certain number of Duplo blocks, or I’d make a (simple) Duplo model for him to copy. Playdoh was always popular too, and good for fine motor skills.
Vicki_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 05:39 PM   #8
Maleldil's daughter
Rose Bouquet

Maleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud of

With a 4yo some things I have done:
Letter of the week: tracing, coloring, painting, gluing things that start with that letter on big letters, finding things around the house that start with the letter
(This is what my current 4 yo did while older is doing writing/handwriting)
Rhyming and syllable games: Measured Mom website and This Reading Mama have free printables - some early 4yos are not going to be ready but some will
My 4 yo listens in on almost all read-alouds.
Hands on science - nature hunts, finding living v. non-living things, what things are made of, experiments with water, ice, etc.
Playdough
Cutting skills
Counting: counting small objects, putting # of stickers to match numbers, roll and move games
Sorting objects

Wifey to the Husby 9/6/2006
Mama to The Littlest Man in all the Land 5/31/2012
and The Littlest Girl in all the World 1/28/2016

Counseling is like cleaning out your fridge. Mostly it's rearranging things so they make more sense. Now and then you come across some really nasty thing that's been stuck in the back way too long.
Maleldil's daughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:59 PM   #9
Sweet Life
Rose Garden

Sweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond repute

we enjoyed Five In a Row with some of my preschoolers.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:18 PM   #10
Lady Grey
Rose Garden

Lady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond repute

When my kids have wanted this, I've noticed that it feels special when they have things that look as much like the older kids' school stuff. Giving him the same kind of notebook/binder or whatever can go a long way.

Tracing and maze books, or pages that you print are fun. If you can put the pages in page protectors they can be used again and again with dry erase markers.

My little ones have liked to do the history pages with their siblings too. I even print maps for them if they want.

Other things that have been popular here are pattern blocks with pattern pages, a bin of beans with scoops etc, magnets (ABC, animals etc), painting with water, playdough, any kind of fine motor lacing etc....
knitlove (07-17-2020), Vicki_T (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 10:22 PM   #11
arelyn
Rose Trellis

Soli deo Gloria

arelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond repute

So many good ideas everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Grey View Post
When my kids have wanted this, I've noticed that it feels special when they have things that look as much like the older kids' school stuff. Giving him the same kind of notebook/binder or whatever can go a long way.
I think this is what he really wants. I asked him yesterday what he would like to do for homeschool and he said draw things in a notebook like DS2.

Aerynne: Do you think TG&TB preschool will would print out ok in black and white? I know their 1st grade is very color dependent and some pages just don't come out in B&W (Color here is 50 cents a page).

Though I might just grab a blank notebook at the store and doodle a bunch of sorting/counting/coloring/tracing activities.

arelyn
World traveling mama to my star my sunshine and the monsoon baby
Wife to my crazy ethnomusicologist

This road that we travel, may it be the straight and narrow. God give us peace and grace from you all the day through.
arelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:36 PM   #12
MrsHutch
Rose Garden

An Enneagram 7 type 1/2 ENTP

MrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond repute

My 4yo does Reading Eggs and Mathseeds on the iPad. They are game-based learning that progress through the programs, and by the time he's done with those he's ready to move on from school-y things and play. I help him with some of the games that are more difficult, and he brings it to me when it gets to the book at the end of each lesson so we can read it together, but other than that he can do it on his own. I did the same with little J at this age and it worked great for him. He learned to read entirely from Reading Eggs.
Missing three I will meet in Heaven (Feb 2012), (Apr 2016) & (Jun 2020)

"Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't shoot their husbands, they just don't." -Legally Blonde
MrsHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsHutch For This Useful Post:
arelyn (07-21-2020)