Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post] A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:43 PM   #1
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

I'm most definitely an INFJ. ;-)

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hit me up with your favorite gluten free/soy free VEGAN meal ideas.

The doctor says I need to go soy and gluten free. Help a sisterr out! I was told a week ago and have done nothing. I think I need to get at least two weeks worth of meals planned, shopped for and in the works to get a start on this.

Here's some vegan, gluten free, soy free meals we already enjoy:

Dinner:
Nachos (I think Diaya cheese is soy free gluten free?)
Hard Tacos (I make my own seasoning)
Chili (maybe i can find gf, sf corn bread recipe we like to go with it)
Veggie and bean soups (NOT EATING THIS IN THE SUMMER)
Dhal
Alloo palak
Channa masala
Spanish rice and beans
Maybe sushi (avocado rolls or sweet potato rolls) but idk if i'll like Braggs instead of actual soy sauce??)
Spring rolls, but again with the soy sauce....
Oh, I made curried eggplant with chickpeas the other day. That was good.

.... hmmm... I would say coconut curry and stir fry, but we always have tofu with those. It won't feel complete without the tofu.... also we like lentil pasta which is gluten free, but I need to get better about making a veggies and sauce topping for it rather than a field roast "sausage" with with sauce. (And not feeling deprived when DH eats the sausage in front of me!!)

Breakfast:
Uuuuuuuuuum, cheerios and then starve till lunch??? Seriously, I have (homemade) toasted bread with peanut butter almost every day. For crying out loud, I already had to 100% give up coffee. How much more unpleasant t does breakfast have to be?!?!?! I love oatmeal in the winter. Guess I'll just shell out the millions of dollars to buy gf oats rather than the .89 cents a pound regular ones. I've had gf pancakes. They are so so. smoothies are LOUD to make in the morning. anyone know if it's try that you can't use almond or coconut yogurt from one home made batch to the next? Up always make soy yogurt, using a starter from my last mm batch but hard you can ONLY do that soy out animal dairy yogurt. if I van make homemade yogurt then use could eat it with my million dollar gluten free oats as a parfait I'd I turn the oats into granola. oh, Idlis or dosa with rasam (an Indian food)

Lunch.
Air or left overs. oh, maybe hummus and raw veggies.

I love lots of Mexican, Chinese, Indian and Ethiopian foods. I haven't cooked many of them myself.... I mean, I cook more of them than the typical American, but not enough to sustain a family on....

HELP!!!

Last edited by WaitPatientlyOnTheLord; 07-26-2016 at 07:49 PM.
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:26 PM   #2
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hit me up with your favorite gluten free/soy free VEGAN meal ideas.

I love to make saag aloo with rice- so yummy! It's gfdfsf I use a bit of yum sauce (you know all about that, right?) instead of ghee.

Tonight we had black bean and peach enchilada casserole. Layer corn tortillas with black beans, diced peaches, and enchilada sauce made out of a can of green chilis blended with yum sauce.

If making sushi is too much work, sushi bowls are a great solution. Just throw all the sushi stuff into a bowl (cut up seaweed, avocado, rice, rice vinegar, cucumber, red bell pepper, mango, etc)

fried rice with mixed veggies

I make a Mexican fried rice (okay, it's probably not actually Mexican) with bell peppers, black beans, pinto beans, fresh cilantro (at the end) and lime juice. So good!

baked French fries (seriously I could just eat those for lunch every day. I just don't make them in the summer because they heat up the house).

Lentil/rice casserole - 3/4 c. lentils, 1/2 c. brown rice, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp basil, 1/4 tsp each oregano, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, 3 c. water. Cooks in about 4 hours on high in the crock pot.

I also make the lentil rice casserole into the yummiest veggie patties ever by adding some flour (could use gf flour) forming into patties and cooking them on the griddle! Veggie patties are usually a little dry (if they don't have oil, which as you know I don't use) so I learned a trick- don't use a bun. Just eat two patties with the veggies and stuff in between, or use lettuce as a bun. Dry veggie burger plus dry bread is not as good as not having so much dry.

split pea soup- just split peas, carrots, liquid smoke, and salt. I cook that in the crock pot, too. Yummy and filling comfort food!

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (07-26-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 09:51 PM   #3
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond repute

I've never heard of yum sauce!
Old 07-26-2016, 09:57 PM   #4
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitPatientlyOnTheLord View Post
I've never heard of yum sauce!
Oh, sorry, I assumed you had because I post about it all the time. It's my own made-up recipe, but I believe it was heaven-sent. Literally.

1 c. cashews
3 c. water
2 tbsp. cornstarch (or other starch)
1 tsp salt

Blend in a blender until very smooth. If your blender isn't awesome, strain it through a coffee filter. Cook over medium heat, stirring as constantly as you can while caring for children, answering the phone, talking to dh, etc. It should thicken in about 5 minutes or less.

Then you can serve it over noodles plain or mixed with fresh basil for a creamy pesto, use it as a base for creamy soups, mix it with green chilis for enchilada sauce, sweeten it up to use for a dessert, eat it with rice, use it as a base for creamy salad dressings (cilantro lime is my favorite), use it instead of sour cream or mayonnaise in any recipe, make a casserole out of it with other things like rice and vegetables, pour it on broccoli or cauliflower, etc. So many uses. One of the best comfort foods!

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (07-27-2016), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (07-27-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 11:38 PM   #5
SalH
Rose Trellis

SalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond repute

Coconut aminos is a soy sauce alternative I'm looking into.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to SalH For This Useful Post:
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 09:59 AM   #6
Dovenoir
Rose Garden

Dove - noir

Dovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond repute

We use tamari for GF soy sauce.

Aerynne's yum sauce is also a good base for vegan cream cheese (add lemon juice and strain)

Our GF bread is very dependent on eggs, so our recipe isn't helpful but I got a bread maker at a yard sale and have gotten a ton of mileage with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 01:19 PM   #7
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

Oh, I didn't know the name of your sauce, Erin, but I do know your recipe! Haven't made it yet cus cashews are expensive.

Buuuut! The discount grocery store near me has 25# bags of cashews for $25.00 this week. A girl friend and I are talking about splitting one. I think i can freeze it.

The trouble with the tamari is it still has soy. I have some brags liquid aminos in my fridge. I'll finally get around to trying it. I haven't been hopeful because my friend gave it to me cus she didn't like it. Are braggs liquid aminos coconut aminos?

I have a bread maker I adore. I read online they don't really work for gf bread cus it over kneads them, that hasn't been your experience, Lyz?

I picked up a couple things at Aldis today. I really don't want to get to info processed replacements but it might be a good crutch to get me started. I am noticing a lot of the gluten free processed food has eggs or milk in it.

Oh, so the limits gf baking I've done for friends or whatever, I've observed denser bread types tend to convert better than fluffy ones. So brownie have been ok for me. Anyone know of a good cornbread or dumplings (like in chicken and dumping soup) that is good?

Hoping to kick off next week with a two week meal plan...
Old 07-27-2016, 04:58 PM   #8
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

I've found that GF baked goods usually turn out better if I mix them much longer than traditional baked goods. That, and I often let batter rest for 30 minutes before baking. The Cook's Illustrated GF cookbook is fantastic, but I think most, if not all, of the bread recipes rely pretty heavily on eggs. I can't think offhand of a GF bread I've made recently that didn't have eggs.

We have a lot of kale coming in from the garden this year, so I've been making beans and greens - essentially kale sauteed in EVOO with a hefty amount of garlic, thyme, maybe a little crushed red pepper or rosemary and some canellini beans. I finish it with basil oil, pesto, or olive tapenade. Serve it in a bowl over rice - done!

My kids love garbanzo beans and carrot stew : Saute a finely chopped onion in olive oil, then add 3 cloves of minced garlic, 1/2 t turmeric, 1/4 t cinnamon, and cayenne pepper to taste. Bloom the spices, to bring out their flavor, then add 3-4 carrots and 2 1/2 cups of chick peas (about 2 cans) and a handful of cilantro, if you like cilantro. Cook until the carrots are tender (15-20 minutes?). I have kids that don't like cilantro, so I reserve it as a garnish and serve over couscous, but you could certainly use rice.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (07-28-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 09:41 PM   #9
Dovenoir
Rose Garden

Dove - noir

Dovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond repute

I believe Bragg's is soy as well. Coconut aminos work but I feel like i use almost twice as much.

Found this, it uses aguafaba as a binder.

http://alittleinsanity.com/soft-glut...-bread-recipe/

---------- Post added at 12:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 AM ----------

My GF bread is dense, but I don't feel like the bread maker makes it tough. I do activate the yeast and add a quarter teaspoon more than the original recipe. Also I use the extra rise option.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:41 PM   #10
SalH
Rose Trellis

SalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond repute

I can find a gf bread recipe that I use my thermomix for, so you could make that in a food processor.

Tonight we are having chickpea, pumpkin, sweet potato and spinach curry. Dh is in charge of the spices, and is making it, but it's my idea and I googled for a recipe, for ideas. He's just going to make it his way. This may be our first family vegan meal. I want to make sure we start having vegan meals as a regular thing but not 100%.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:21 PM   #11
SalH
Rose Trellis

This is my recipe. I've made it and thought it was way better than shop bought bread.

You need to read it and convert the method to your own mixer / vitamix. Doesn't need a bread maker.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:02 AM   #12
sweetpeas
Rose Trellis

sweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute

A gluten free/vegan friend came to visit for a long weekend last month. I kind of panicked at the thought of figuring out gluten free/vegan foods for a whole weekend, but here's what I served:

Dinner:
"haystacks" - basically a Chipotle "bowl" - beans, rice, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, salsa, cheese, sour cream (but most vegans I know just leave the cheese & sour cream off). You could do fajita veggies like Chipotle does too. Set everything up buffet style in separate bowls and each person "builds their haystack" they way they want.

Baked potatoes with salsa &/or marinara sauce and steamed broccoli (could include other steamed veggies, but dh is picky, so it's easier to just do broccoli since we all like it)

Crockpot red lentil curry over rice - http://pinchofyum.com/crockpot-red-lentil-curry

Grilled out one night - veggie kabobs, corn on the cob and pineapple (marinade pineapple chunks in lemon juice & honey, then grill on the kabobs or a separate kabob)

Breakfasts - I just did oatmeal. She had some gluten free English muffins she brought with her.

Lunch:

We took a picnic lunch the day we were "sight-seeing". I made "black bean salsa" (black beans, corn, chopped bell pepper &/or tomatoes, chopped onion, chopped cilantro, season with salt, pepper, jalapeno if you like things spicy, a little lemon or lime juice) served with tortilla chips, and then had raw veggies and some kind of fruit as sides.

Hummus platter - hummus, raw veggies, chopped olives, feta cheese (for the non-vegans). We usually eat it with tortilla triangles, but can just dip the raw veggies in the hummus if gluten-free.

Our 3rd lunch we ended up just doing leftovers because there were lots, but my plan was to do fried rice for that lunch

Honestly it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be (we're vegetarian, but not vegan or gluten free), and my biggest challenge was dh's pickiness

Busy Homeschooling Mom to 3 Sweetpeas:
Lexie & Ashlyn 16 yr old twins
and
Lina, 9
Virtual Accountant and Bookkeeper in my "spare time"
sweetpeas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeas For This Useful Post:
SalH (08-01-2016), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (08-01-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 12:08 PM   #13
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

I can post here now!

This is the soy sauce sub that we use. https://www.coconutsecret.com/aminos2.html
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
SalH (08-01-2016), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (08-01-2016)