Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Attachment and Natural Parenting

Old 07-31-2015, 08:56 AM   #1
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Every time they spill or drop something - they freeze

Otherwise entitled: things that make me want to scream.

My children are 6 and 9. We have always gently instructed them in cleaning up messes and spills. Nothing new here at all. But yet, whenever they spill something, they freeze, they look at it, mystified, as if trying to decided where it came from and what they should do about it. Furthermore if something they are holding is spilling, they do nothing to correct the situation, they just stand or sit there, continuing to spill whatever it is while watching it with an expression I can only describe as "deer in the headlights". Why, why can't they react? I do NOT get it.

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AngelaVA For This Useful Post:
bananacake (07-31-2015)
Old 07-31-2015, 10:35 AM   #2
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Every time they spill or drop something - they freeze

The onlt thing I can think oif which Im quite sure you are doing already is to give directions in midst of the spill - quick pick up cup or go get a clean up towel and wipe it up

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (07-31-2015)
Old 07-31-2015, 11:06 AM   #3
squiddles
Climbing Rose

squiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond repute

I remember from my ECE years, that chidren have a much slower reaction time than adults.. I don't know when that changes.. .but for example, I think a preschooler might react to something 8 seconds slower than a grown up. (It's been a decade since I read about it, so I hope I'm not too far off)

eta: your kids are older than that, but they still might have a delayed processing time... and mine do the same thing!!!
squiddles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to squiddles For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (07-31-2015), Quiteria (07-31-2015), rjy9343 (08-04-2015)
Old 07-31-2015, 12:03 PM   #4
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute

Mine just continue spilling it gleefully, then toss the container and skip away singing.

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Preschool teacher. Musician. Timelord.
Www.justicemercymayhem.wordpress.com

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Chaos Coordinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:18 PM   #5
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacat View Post
The onlt thing I can think oif which Im quite sure you are doing already is to give directions in midst of the spill - quick pick up cup or go get a clean up towel and wipe it up
I do this

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiddles View Post
I remember from my ECE years, that chidren have a much slower reaction time than adults.. I don't know when that changes.. .but for example, I think a preschooler might react to something 8 seconds slower than a grown up. (It's been a decade since I read about it, so I hope I'm not too far off)

eta: your kids are older than that, but they still might have a delayed processing time... and mine do the same thing!!!
One of my children has a disability that would give her delayed processing time but my other one...IDK...they both do it.

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Coordinator View Post
Mine just continue spilling it gleefully, then toss the container and skip away singing.
I'm sorry. So it could be worse.

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

Old 07-31-2015, 02:41 PM   #6
CJNeeley
Rose Bush

CJNeeley is a splendid one to beholdCJNeeley is a splendid one to beholdCJNeeley is a splendid one to beholdCJNeeley is a splendid one to beholdCJNeeley is a splendid one to beholdCJNeeley is a splendid one to beholdCJNeeley is a splendid one to beholdCJNeeley is a splendid one to beholdCJNeeley is a splendid one to behold

Just a quick side note from a different point of view... While I can't say I do this over spills, I do indeed have a freeze type response to sudden stressors. I might manage to say "Oh no!" but mostly am physically frozen while my brain (and sometimes my mouth) races through what I should be doing but I can't make myself move in response. In practical terms, I *usually* get off to a delayed start... so it ends up being much more akin to having slowed reflexes. I have no idea why I do this but it causes less impairment than my family thought it would when I was growing up. I have noticed the level of startling surprise is key to whether I freeze up. If I can predict/foresee it going wrong sooner, I don't stall out and can respond or adapt. But if not... well, I freeze and stare and likely seem blank as I try to will myself to move.
CJNeeley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJNeeley For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (07-31-2015), rjy9343 (08-04-2015)
Old 07-31-2015, 04:32 PM   #7
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

It might be a positive thing if spill ever involves broken glass

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:10 AM   #8
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute

I was just joking I mean I was telling the truth, but not meant in an "oh yeah, well..." Way.

I don't get it either. I've coached them a zillion times on what to do. They aren't that mature yet, I assume.

---------- Post added at 06:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJNeeley View Post
Just a quick side note from a different point of view... While I can't say I do this over spills, I do indeed have a freeze type response to sudden stressors. I might manage to say "Oh no!" but mostly am physically frozen while my brain (and sometimes my mouth) races through what I should be doing but I can't make myself move in response. In practical terms, I *usually* get off to a delayed start... so it ends up being much more akin to having slowed reflexes. I have no idea why I do this but it causes less impairment than my family thought it would when I was growing up. I have noticed the level of startling surprise is key to whether I freeze up. If I can predict/foresee it going wrong sooner, I don't stall out and can respond or adapt. But if not... well, I freeze and stare and likely seem blank as I try to will myself to move.

Yes, it reminds me of when my 6yo ran away at the farmers market as we were getting on a "covered wagon" ride. A total stranger chased him down for me because I just froze. I knew I needed to do all these things, but I couldn't parse out what order to do them in.

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Preschool teacher. Musician. Timelord.
Www.justicemercymayhem.wordpress.com

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Chaos Coordinator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaos Coordinator For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (08-04-2015)
Old 08-04-2015, 07:28 AM   #9
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

Ivy does that. I think it's that she knows to do something, she just can't get her brain and body to work together. It's beyond irritating, but I don't think she can help it. Or that she is even aware of what she is doing. It gets worse if James or I are already impatient and yell get a rag or whatever it is she needs to do. But if we help her with the mess, she snaps out of it.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (08-04-2015), CJNeeley (08-04-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 05:23 PM   #10
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

My kids do that, too. It drives me nuts! The only thing worse is when they scream at the same time.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (08-05-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 05:29 PM   #11
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

I'm sorry it happens to others but I'm relieved it's not just us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk