Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:08 PM   #46
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of upper elementary grades

The instructor manual gives you the theory and the framework for all four years. It gives you sample passages for each major stage, but expects you to select your own from your own literature for the majority of the time. It lists exactly which concepts are emphasized when, to guide you in choosing your passages and copywork sentences.

The student workbooks are the open-and-go option. The introductory pages summarize the theory from the manual, and the passages are provided for every single day all year, with scripting for how to prompt the students for narrations. There are also pre-printed answer pages where students may write their copywork, or you may sub notebook paper or typing. You could tape a pre-printed page up at eye-level for your ds to type from.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.

Last edited by Quiteria; 07-12-2015 at 05:11 PM.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (07-12-2015)
Old 07-12-2015, 05:24 PM   #47
ShangriLewis
Moderator in Vegetarianism & Veganism

Arrange whatever pieces come your way. ~VW~

ShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond repute

Get the student workbook. It will save you loads of time. They have a pdf on the Peace Hill Press website.

Heather
The Prophet 23yob, The Peacemaker 20yob, The Warrior 17, The Little Flower 11yog and The Surfer 9yob and our little birdie girl 4yo.

ShangriLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ShangriLewis For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (07-12-2015)
Old 07-12-2015, 05:43 PM   #48
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Ok. I'm for sure getting the student book probably in pdf form. The question is would the instructor manual help me or is it only if you do not get the student books you need the instructor book?

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”

Last edited by tempus vernum; 07-12-2015 at 05:46 PM.
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (07-12-2015), ShangriLewis (07-12-2015)
Old 07-12-2015, 06:03 PM   #49
ShangriLewis
Moderator in Vegetarianism & Veganism

Arrange whatever pieces come your way. ~VW~

ShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond repute

It just tells you what you would do if you made your own program and used your own books.

---------- Post added at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

We just use the student workbook.

Heather
The Prophet 23yob, The Peacemaker 20yob, The Warrior 17, The Little Flower 11yog and The Surfer 9yob and our little birdie girl 4yo.

ShangriLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShangriLewis For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (07-12-2015), tempus vernum (07-12-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 10:19 AM   #50
RoseOfGrace
Rose Bouquet

INTJ, Married 14 yrs to INTJ hubby, DS1 10, DD 7, DS2 3, DD2 born 1-19-16, and 3 waiting for me in heaven.

RoseOfGrace is a glorious beacon of lightRoseOfGrace is a glorious beacon of lightRoseOfGrace is a glorious beacon of lightRoseOfGrace is a glorious beacon of lightRoseOfGrace is a glorious beacon of lightRoseOfGrace is a glorious beacon of lightRoseOfGrace is a glorious beacon of light

You don't need to buy the teachers manual. However, if your local library has it (which mine did), I do recommend reading it because it has some great information to help you understand the why behind the what in the student books.
RoseOfGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RoseOfGrace For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (07-31-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 08:26 PM   #51
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

I got all the books for $278. I'm pretty happy about that. Thanks for the advice on the used book sites!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AngelaVA For This Useful Post:
ctab (08-03-2015), Quiteria (07-30-2015), RoseOfGrace (08-03-2015), ShangriLewis (07-31-2015), tempus vernum (08-03-2015)
Old 07-31-2015, 07:42 AM   #52
2TMama
Rose Garden

Flawed & Forgiven. Rescued, Redeemed & Restored. Image Bearer, Grace Embracer, Joy Seeker & Hope Stirrer.

2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute

Just chiming in-- we have used both jump-in and wwe & have been happy with both. This year, dd (7th) will be using writing essentials .

2TMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2TMama For This Useful Post:
ShangriLewis (07-31-2015), tempus vernum (08-03-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 04:58 AM   #53
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECingMama View Post
If you want to loan your collection out next year (not this coming school year, obviously), I'd be interested in paying you a borrow fee.

I'm color coding the books with dot stickers so I can keep track of which ones are for this year. If you still want to do this message me in the spring I'm sure we can figure it out. My girls are 3 years apart so it will be a long time until I use it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AngelaVA For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (08-16-2015)
Old 08-16-2015, 05:32 PM   #54
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

I hope it's okay to ask here. I am about to go buy WWE and realized I could purchase the main teacher manual for only $24 for all 4 levels.
http://peacehillpress.com/index.php?p=product&id=21 and then buy each level's pdf of the student pages for only $9.

Id that correct?

My ideal would be to have ME have a workbook and him have a PDF and this seems to be a reasonable way to do it.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
Old 08-16-2015, 06:26 PM   #55
Love_Is_Patient
Rose Trellis

Love_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond repute

I think those consummable workbook pages are really only the lined paper fromth student workbooks--the texts that you or the student is suppsed to read is not included.

If I were you, I would buy the four-year teacher guide. It has several weeks from each year outlined in full (with the texts included) so you can do them with your student and see what level you really need to start with.

Unless you need an overview of the program or want to make your own from different passage, you only need the complete student workbooks--the teacher notes for that whole level are included in the beginning.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:18 PM   #56
forty-two
Rose Garden

The Gospel is for Christians, too :).

forty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond repute

I have the WWE instructor text and the Level 2 workbook. The instructor text tells you how to use your own sources to do WWE - gives you a week's example of each step and describes what you are trying to accomplish in each step. The workbooks for each level have all the texts all picked out and ready to go, making it completely open-and-go. Half the workbook is the instructor pages, with all the passages to read aloud and narration questions and other information, and the other half is the student pages, which are basically blank handwriting-ruled pages for the student to write their narrations and copywork and dictations on. The student pages aren't worth much without the corresponding workbook (the instructor text only has about 4-6 weeks of sample lessons per level) - the reason she sells the PDFs are so multiple kids can use one workbook without having to make copies of the student pages (which is legal within a single family).

The instructor text alone can work - it equips you to select your own passages to teach from. Or a set of workbooks can work (with or without the extra PDFs - depends if it's easier for you to print or copy the student pages), if you want the passages all picked out for you. But the PDFs aren't really any use without the corresponding workbooks.

INTJ: introverted iNtuition with extraverted Thinking
DYT 4/2: connecting intellectually and emotionally
Enneagram 5w4: a need to perceive and to feel special

Wife to my pastor dh (INTP) since 2003

Mother to:
dd13, 'R'
dd10.5, 'A'
ds8, 'J'
and two in heaven: miscarried 10/29/04 and 01/01/05

Blog: Lutherama

What we want is just one thing, not the thing.
forty-two is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to forty-two For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (08-16-2015), RoseOfGrace (08-23-2015), tempus vernum (08-17-2015)
Old 08-17-2015, 06:46 AM   #57
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

that caused me to realize that was explained earlier in this thread It must be my concussion ...

for explaining that again

Old 01-22-2016, 07:59 AM   #58
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

This is old and not even on the original topic but for those that suggested WWE for my dyslexic son, do you recommend he do all 4 levels before moving into a new program? We are almost done w level 1 and TBH, we've not done it daily. We've done it twice a week and if I had done more we'd probably be almost done w level 2

He has breezed through it and I am VERY happy for the confidence boost it's given. The only problem that we've had towards the end is dictation. He has taken on all of the typing himself and he wants to write very short sentences because I'm not helping anymore. Starting today I will give him a choice between me doing the typing and him using the dragon dictation app.

I took the advice in this thread and after a few weeks of writing, we moved to typing at his request. It has made things a lot easier. His spelling is holding back his writing honestly (but we are remediating that in another curriculum) which is why we need to move to either me typing or him using dragon dictation. Maybe we will gently start with a little of each

I'm pretty sure we will finish level 1 today. At first, when we began, I was kicking myself because he was capable of starting level 1 a few years ago. BUT now that he's just breezing through it I am SO glad we waited. What would have been a challenge/struggle has been so easy and is making him feel like he can do this and do it well It's a balm to his soul and mine It's one of the reasons I've not pushed harder.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
mommylove (01-22-2016), Quiteria (01-22-2016)
Old 01-22-2016, 09:48 AM   #59
forty-two
Rose Garden

The Gospel is for Christians, too :).

forty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond repute

IDK about dyslexia in particular, but a lot of people of the Well-Trained Mind boards skip level 4 . (I'm really loving WWE2 with dd9 .)

INTJ: introverted iNtuition with extraverted Thinking
DYT 4/2: connecting intellectually and emotionally
Enneagram 5w4: a need to perceive and to feel special

Wife to my pastor dh (INTP) since 2003

Mother to:
dd13, 'R'
dd10.5, 'A'
ds8, 'J'
and two in heaven: miscarried 10/29/04 and 01/01/05

Blog: Lutherama

What we want is just one thing, not the thing.
forty-two is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to forty-two For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (01-22-2016)
Old 01-22-2016, 10:23 AM   #60
teamommy
Rose Garden

Spring!

teamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond repute

Level 4 is pretty much level 3, but with longer narration (and a little more complex) and dictation passages. From what I remember.

I do spend more time on narrations before moving on after WWS3, but I don't use the WW4 book to do so, anymore. I just have had them write narrations from their history, science, and literature readings, and then those gradually become two or three paragraphs rather than the short summary, as the readings get longer. And then we do WWS (we have also done some other things, but those are the main programs I have used with both boys and now dd. I just modify up or down a bit based on what they are able to do, and work up to summary narrations written independently, and then they write them across the curriculum). I can't speak to the dyslexia, though, and how that might change things for an older student.
teamommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teamommy For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (01-22-2016)