Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 08-16-2008, 01:57 PM   #91
TraceMama
Rose Garden

TraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The official Cal Mag thread

Good thing to know about the iron and the calcium! Thanks!

I am determined to be invincible until He has finished His purpose in me.
TraceMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 05:02 PM   #92
kaismamma
Climbing Rose

kaismamma has a spectacular aura aboutkaismamma has a spectacular aura aboutkaismamma has a spectacular aura about

Are you talking about synthetic iron in your prenatal that makes the calcium useless? I don't believe natural (food source) iron and calcium behave this way at all....quite sure they don't in fact. But if you believe otherwise and can site your credible source, I'd be interested in looking into it further. I do know that synthetic iron (like what is in most prenatals) is nothing but trouble, so this might be yet another negative mark for it.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:33 PM   #93
klpmommy
Deactivated

Beware the gorgon, she's having a bad hair day

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute

So far as I know it is the iron in the prenatal, not natural iron sources. That is why I suggested taking the prenatal in the morning & the cal/mag at night.
klpmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:38 PM   #94
TraceMama
Rose Garden

TraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond repute

Another question for you: if I take 4 of the cal/mag to get my 1000 mg of calcium, then I'll also be getting something like 200% of my daily allowance of copper. This is combining the stuff in the cal/mag with the prenatal I'm taking. Is that much copper a problem?

There are probably other overlaps as well, but that's the one that struck me last night as I was reading the label.

I am determined to be invincible until He has finished His purpose in me.
TraceMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:29 AM   #95
klpmommy
Deactivated

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know anything about copper. I don't believe my vitamins have copper in them. You might try googling copper and see if there are any problems associated with taking double-- but honestly it usually takes a lot more than double DV to cause problems, I think.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:30 AM   #96
StrangeTraveller
Deactivated

StrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if this has been asked yet...but can I take more than one dose in a day for my after pains? Tylenol has done nothing. The CalMag I have is citrate and 1000 mg of each.
StrangeTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:18 PM   #97
klpmommy
Deactivated

Allison had me taking double cal/mag (2400/1000) for the end of my preg with S & for up to 12 weeks after.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:01 PM   #98
Praise

Two questions:

1) How does dolomite fare as a calcium/magnesium supplement? I've read such conflicting things about it?

2) What about Microcrystalline hydroxyapatite concentrate (MCHC)?

I currently have this type of calcium: http://www.drrons.com/calcium-magnesium.htm

The site claims:
Quote:
Microcrystalline hydroxyapatite concentrate (MCHC) is the best source of calcium, with the full spectrum of trace minerals that comprise healthy bone. Our MCHC is cold processed to preserve the protein matrix and organic factors, and its crystalline structure is verified by x-ray diffraction studies.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:24 PM   #99
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sally Fallon recommends dolomite..I don't know anything about it other than you can use it for plants..I haven't been able to find it for people..

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:27 PM   #100
Praise

Found out more about dolomite. According to a post in MDC, the WPF is phasing out dolomite since it isn't as easily absorbed as previously thought.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:00 PM   #101
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

interesting..that is good to know..thanks.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:55 AM   #102
Tuesdayschild
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Have I forgotten anyone?

Tuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone else feel hungover in the morning from cal / mag? I *know* that's what it is because I've experimented. What causes it? Any cures? I struggle with not being able to get going in the morning 'cos the kids need me...
Tuesdayschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:18 AM   #103
raquel

Don't think so but I'll try to take notice the next few days and see what happens. What amounts are you taking?
Old 03-04-2009, 06:18 AM   #104
thomer
Rose Garden

thomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesdayschild
Anyone else feel hungover in the morning from cal / mag? I *know* that's what it is because I've experimented. What causes it? Any cures? I struggle with not being able to get going in the morning 'cos the kids need me...
I did for a while - It was a combination of the brand I was using and taking too much. So I switched brantds and it helped a lot.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:15 AM   #105
Tuesdayschild
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Have I forgotten anyone?

Tuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond repute

800 calcium, 300 mag

Basiclaly I use that Cal because it's cheap. The 1000mg one is 5x as expensive
Tuesdayschild is offline   Reply With Quote