Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Entrees / Main Dishes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 06-05-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
racheepoo
Deactivated

Don't confuse what is with what is possible.

racheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default I have an entire bag of onions

Why, I don't know. I use onions a lot, but um, not that many. I don't like onion soup. Is there another entree that would allow me to use a lot of them in one fell swoop? Or maybe an onion soup that doesn't have great big strands of onions in it?
racheepoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
Can'tTurnLeft
Deactivated

Can'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I have an entire bag of onions

make a pot roast and put a couple of onions in the bottom.

But you can store them in cool dark closet in pantyhose for months at a time without them sprouting. Just knot the hose between each onion and cut off an onion as needed
Can'tTurnLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Can'tTurnLeft For This Useful Post:
PrincessAnika (06-05-2011), racheepoo (06-05-2011)
Old 06-05-2011, 03:31 PM   #3
Auroras mom
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Bringing wacky back

Auroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond repute

Pot roast, as CTL suggested is great, or a stir fry could use a lot. Also, you can chop and freeze them.

"You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of dust
You make beautiful things out of us
You make things new
You are making me new"
- Gungor
Auroras mom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Auroras mom For This Useful Post:
PrincessAnika (06-05-2011), racheepoo (06-05-2011)
Old 06-05-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

What she said. Any onion or pepper that makes its way into our house gets chopped up and frozen asap. Makes things much easier later on--omlettes are a breeze to put together now.

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Llee For This Useful Post:
Can'tTurnLeft (06-05-2011), racheepoo (06-05-2011)
Old 06-05-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
abbiroads
Rose Garden

abbiroads has disabled reputation

I have a peanut butter chicken recipe that uses 3-4 onions. I'll type it if you want it.
ds2: Eli 4/06
ds3: Judah 4/08
abbiroads is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to abbiroads For This Useful Post:
racheepoo (06-05-2011)
Old 06-05-2011, 05:41 PM   #6
Marsha
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Marsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond repute

I chop and freeze them. That way when you need chopped onions, you have them. Its AWESOME!
racheepoo (06-05-2011)
Old 06-05-2011, 05:41 PM   #7
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

This recipe was recommended here earlier in the week. I haven't tried it, but it meets your criteria.

mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mommylove For This Useful Post:
racheepoo (06-05-2011)
Old 06-06-2011, 09:27 AM   #8
Ajani
Rose Trellis

Learning what I'm called to believe

Ajani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond repute

I always pickle a few for the summer (great on burgers, sausages and hot dogs, as well as on salads).

For a quart jar (one or two onions) I bring a cup of vinegar (red or white wine, cider or even rice) a pinch of salt and a cup of sugar to a boil to dissolve the sugar. I pack the halved and thinly sliced onions into the jar (sometimes with some peppercorns, a bay leaf or other spices) and pour over the hot liquid. It's great after a few days in the fridge and lasts indefinitely.

Come share food with me.

~ Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow." ~

Ajani is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ajani For This Useful Post:
racheepoo (06-06-2011)
Old 06-06-2011, 09:34 AM   #9
Proverbs31
Rose Garden

Proverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond repute

google Zwiebelkuchen recipes.
Proverbs31 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Proverbs31 For This Useful Post:
racheepoo (06-06-2011)
Old 06-06-2011, 09:39 AM   #10
Macky
Deactivated

Macky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond repute

My chicken curry uses three, if I recall. Stews are great because the onions cook down and dissolve into the broth. Onions store for a long time, so I wouldn't make any special effort to use them up all at once. I second (third, whatev ) the chopping and freezing idea. I'm going to do that with some of my onion crop in the fall (100 seedlings planted). I can't imagine not buying onions by the (Costco-sized) bag. They're in at least half of everything I cook, in some way or another.
Macky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:
racheepoo (06-06-2011)
Old 06-06-2011, 09:40 AM   #11
racheepoo
Deactivated

racheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond repute

There's just me and pill, and pill eats cheese a bag would probably last me 6-9 months unless I"m cooking for someone else
Old 06-06-2011, 09:53 AM   #12
nadezhda
Deactivated

God's will cannot lead me where His grace will not keep me.

nadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond repute

Are they sweet onions, like Vadalia or Walla Walla? If so, you can make an onion salad (I'll scrounge up the recipe in a minute). If not, how about creamed onions?
nadezhda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nadezhda For This Useful Post:
racheepoo (06-06-2011)
Old 06-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #13
racheepoo
Deactivated

They are just regular old yellow onions
Old 06-06-2011, 09:57 AM   #14
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

I can go through a whole onion or two every single day, all by myself. I am such a sucker for sauteed onions in particular. I pile them high on everything! Scrambled eggs, burgers, spaghetti. I've even made sandwiches with no more ingredients than sauteed onions and bread.

They're a fantastic extender for just about every meal, too. I learned to mince them fine so that they don't bother the children, and I really don't like long strings of boiled onions, either.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rabbit For This Useful Post:
Auroras mom (06-06-2011), JustMandy (06-06-2011), racheepoo (06-06-2011)
Old 06-06-2011, 09:59 AM   #15
nadezhda
Deactivated

God's will cannot lead me where His grace will not keep me.

nadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, then I won't post my onion salad deal. Rabbit has an awesome idea, though. You could caramelize a bunch of them & use them as garnish on everything.

Man, now I'm wanting some caramelized onions on steak or something...
nadezhda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nadezhda For This Useful Post:
Auroras mom (06-06-2011), Llee (06-07-2011), racheepoo (06-06-2011)