Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Entrees / Main Dishes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 01-20-2009, 01:28 PM   #1
MamaPepper
Rose Garden

MamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Whole Fryer -- Do I have to take stuff out of it's B*tt?

It said something about "giblets" on the package and that totally freaks me out. . . Are these going to be loose or in some sort of bag??? How do I get them "out"?

I'm totally grossed out by the thought of this, but I HAVE to cook this tonight or it goes to waste (b/c I already froze and thawed it).

ALSO, how would I cook this? Can I just throw it in my deep covered baker and in the oven???

ANY input on both topics would be appreciated!!!

E-

Photographer & Designer

My PhotographyMy Webpage
MamaPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:29 PM   #2
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation
Default Re: Whole Fryer -- Do I have to take stuff out of it's B*tt?

Yep, the giblets are just inside the bird. When you wash the bird, just reach in and pull them out. It's really not that nasty.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:31 PM   #3
MamaPepper
Rose Garden

MamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond repute

I need to "wash" it??? Are they loose or in a bag??? (I just need to know what to prepare myself for )

Photographer & Designer

My PhotographyMy Webpage
Old 01-20-2009, 01:33 PM   #4
canadiyank
Deactivated
I support GCM!

canadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond repute

It's not it's butt, either, it's down the neck.

For cooking we usually use a rotisserie but it's easy to do in the oven, too. I'd google "cooking whole fryer" or something.
canadiyank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:33 PM   #5
jewelmcjem
Deactivated

I knew u were trouble when u walked in . . . Tribble, Tribble, Tribble

jewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond repute

They're usually in a bag, but not always. It's the neck you reach into and yes, you'll have to put your hand in there and get them out.

Rub some salt and poultry seasoning (sage, rosemary, thyme, whatever you like) inside the cavity, put it in your cooker and bake. I like to rub some butter under the skin or inside as well, but I don't mind dietary fat at all, if you're avoiding that then of course skip the butter. OH, an onion, chopped in large pieces and tucked inside flavors really well too as does garlic. I'm not sure the temp, I usually use my crockpot.

When you've taken the meat off to eat, stick the whole carcass back into a large pot of water with that onion, some chopped celery if you have it, and some more salt and herbs -- bring to a boil and simmer for a few hours and you'll have WONDERFUL broth to freeze for soups.

jewelmcjem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:34 PM   #6
canadiyank
Deactivated
I support GCM!

canadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes loose, more often in a bag. They're parts that some people like to eat, or feed to their animals, or make stock or gravy from, like the neck and liver and heart.
canadiyank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:37 PM   #7
MamaPepper
Rose Garden

I wonder if I could get Noah to do this. . . I have a weird phobia of sticking my hands inside of things If my garbage disposal clogs, just forget about it. . .

Any chance I could just shake them out???

jewelmcjem. . . that does sound really yummy!!!!

Photographer & Designer

My PhotographyMy Webpage
Old 01-20-2009, 01:47 PM   #8
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaPepper
I need to "wash" it??? Are they loose or in a bag??? (I just need to know what to prepare myself for )
Yep, you definitely want to wash the bird. You can just run it under the tap.

Whether they giblets are loose or in a bag will vary based on brand, etc. I've had them both ways.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:56 PM   #9
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

They're not always in the neck. Sometimes they're in the main cavity. You do have to open everything up and rinse all the nooks and crannies. Sometimes you'll even find bits of organ left sticking to the ribs, and will need to manually scrape it out, with your hand. Pat it dry with paper towels after you've rinsed it.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:09 PM   #10
schmamy
Rose Garden

schmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond repute

when I buy a whole chicken, if there are giblets, they're in a bag in the main cavity (the butt). I think I have seen bits of organ sticking in there, but I never bother to scrape them out I also never pat it dry.

I do them in the crockpot. I have a great spice rub recipe, or I'll cook it pretty plain and shred it up for use in other recipes, like soups or casseroles.
DS2 - 2010
DD - April 2017

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." - 2 Corinthians 12:9
schmamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:13 PM   #11
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmamy
I think I have seen bits of organ sticking in there, but I never bother to scrape them out
I am super sensitive to the taste, particularly liver, and it has ruined birds for me in the past to have little bits left. It can make the whole bird taste like liver to me.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:20 PM   #12
MamaPepper
Rose Garden

Hrm. . . I attempted this before I read the last three posts. . . So, I rinsed out the inside, but didn't necessarily get all the nooks and crannys and I definitely didn't do any scraping. . .

Noah wouldn't stick his hand in their either, so I used a pair of tongs to pull out what I could and then I melted butter and garlic together and put some Asian Seasoning on it. . .

would you say it is more important to wash the inside or the outside, because I just basically rinsed the bird but I didn't scrub under it's armpits or anything. . . Is that OK???

You know. . . I was raised on a farm and I have to say my mom would be ASHAMED of me for being such a "girl" and asking all of these questions I supposed I should have paid a bit more attention, eh?

Photographer & Designer

My PhotographyMy Webpage
Old 01-20-2009, 02:23 PM   #13
gentlemommy
Deactivated

gentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond repute

I never wash my chickens. I've read it's totally unnecessary and can lead to contamination (you then have potential salmonella/campylobacter all over your sink.) I'm interested to know why people wash the chickens, though, in case I'm missing something.
gentlemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:26 PM   #14
Proverbs31
Rose Garden

Proverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlemommy
I never wash my chickens. I've read it's totally unnecessary and can lead to contamination (you then have potential salmonella/campylobacter all over your sink.) I'm interested to know why people wash the chickens, though, in case I'm missing something.

op: if you wear nitrile gloves, or put your hand inside a bag to grab the giblets you can invert the bag around them after pulling them out and not actually touch them.
Longing to adopt #3+

Proverbs31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:28 PM   #15
Mama Bird
Rose Garden

Mama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I just basically rinsed the bird but I didn't scrub under it's armpits or anything.
ROFL! For some reason the idea of anyone scrubbing under a chicken's "armpits" has me in stitches.
Mama Bird is offline   Reply With Quote