Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] > Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public* A public forum.

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 08:41 PM   #46
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation
Default Re: Spin off: Home school vs. public school at home

Tasha, I answered that question above
Quote:
I would suggest that homeschoolers in states that do not allow pure homeschooling need to keep up the fight and not give in. Work to change laws; work to fight for rights to educate. I'm not faulting homeschoolers in those states; I'm faulting the laws of those states
In states with specific restrictions the those who desire pure homeschooling will take them as close to the edge as they can get. It *has* to because it's about doing your own thing OUTSIDE of the state's guidelines. That is why there are groups that have set up to give that umbrella of protection. In fact, when we incorporated years ago we included wording to allow that should we ever need it But I intend to fight tooth and nail to keep that from ever being necessary
Old 02-14-2008, 08:59 PM   #47
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

Bar/Bat Mitzvah picture with husband Michael.

Location: Within sight and earshot of the Disneyland fireworks
Heather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond repute

That makes sense. But what do those who are at home with their children but not "Homschoolers" call themselves then?

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Taylor Jordan11/15/04 SkyeDakota10/12/05
Life is a pile of good things & bad things The good things don't always soften the bad things but the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things
Old 02-14-2008, 09:14 PM   #48
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Micaela
That makes sense. But what do those who are at home with their children but not "Homschoolers" call themselves then?
all of this is opinion, mind you, but I think homeschoolers are those who are schooling as independantly as they are legally allowed to do. For me the issue is less whether someone is a "homeschooler" or is "homeschooling". Someone with the heart of a homeschooler can take a VA situation and make it as rewarding as it can possibly be--but they are limited by the "schooling" choice. Does that make sense?
Old 02-14-2008, 10:18 PM   #49
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

Heather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond repute

sure I was just pondering terms, what do we then call everyone else

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Life is a pile of good things & bad things The good things don't always soften the bad things but the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things
Old 02-14-2008, 10:42 PM   #50
Bonnie
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Bonnie has disabled reputation

Alternative Schoolers? Alt Schoolers? Parent Taught? Home-environment Private Schoolers? I think Alternative is the best catch-all.

Mauka & Makai 12/29/08

Occasional "Dorm Mom" to M the wonder student

Old 02-14-2008, 11:46 PM   #51
J3K
Deactivated

Hi ! I'm Myrtle. I like to pretend I'm an R.O.U.S.

J3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond repute

I knew a lady who identified herself as "a public school at homer." Her definition : I use the public school curricula , but I do it at home.

I think a homeschooler at heart is someone who wants to be as far away from government influence as possible. Being stranded by your state laws is something different. A mother who grits teeth and balks at sending in information , fights the system where she can (legally), regrets even having to give grades to her child , but does so to remain above the law , a woman who yearns for more privacy in educating her children and thinks ALL parents should be given the right to homeschool their children no matter what......I'd consider her a homeschooler.

Someone sitting happily in the land of "I'll do whatever the schools tell me to do , I'll just do it at home"or "I have no idea what my state laws are" ....I don't know that I'd consider that person a homeschooler. I'd consider her public schooler who enjoys her jammies.

It still boggles my mind that I don't need any criteria to be a mom , no one questions my ability (as far as the state is concerned) , no one checks up on me to see that I'm giving my kids a hot meal at least once a day , but mention that I want to teach my kid the ABC's , or the Civil War at HOME...and ohmyword....it's almost frightening how quick people are to judge , make assumptions and try to figure out ways to make that super difficult for you to accomplish. Either by state laws , or making your life hard emotionally....just boggles the mind.
The Following User Says Thank You to J3K For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2008, 02:03 AM   #52
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

Quote:
I think a homeschooler at heart is someone who wants to be as far away from government influence as possible.
Well, by that definition *I* would qualify, since honestly I *want* to do w/o the charter. So while I get what you are saying the desire alone is not enough.

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Old 02-15-2008, 04:59 AM   #53
Peaceful Meadows
Rose Garden

Peaceful Meadows has disabled reputation

You know this is why I hate labels. It get's way too confusing and they tend to put people/groups into boxes.

In PA we need to :
Keep a record of attendance - 180 days per year or 900 hours at the elementary level or 990 hours at the secondary level

Teach the following subjects - Elementary level: English spelling, reading, writing, arithmetic, U.S. and Pennsylvania history, civics, health and physiology, physical education, music, art, geography, science, safety and fire prevention Secondary level: English language, literature, speech and composition, science, geography, civics, world, U.S., and Pennsylvania history, algebra and geometry, art, music, physical education, health, safety, and fire prevention

"Teacher" qualifications: High school diploma or equivalent

Give notice - File a notarized affidavit with the local superintendent prior to start of home school and annually by August 1st thereafter

Keep records - Maintain a portfolio of materials used, work done, standardized test results in grades 3, 5, and 8, and a written evaluation completed by June 30 of each year

Testing - Administer standardized tests in grades 3, 5, and 8; submit results as part of portfolio

So we have lots of hoops to jump through but it doesn't mean I am any less a homeschooler than those in states with less strict laws and people manage to unschool here in PA. The strict laws don't mean nobody is fighting for less government regulation. We are fighting, fighting, fighting but the NEA is also fighting to keep the laws in place and it's hard to take on the NEA because they are one huge organizion with and the homeschoolers are many little groups coming together and unfortunately sometimes they have differeing opinions on certian wording etc and well at times that can cause disunity.

Edit to add:
When reporting, I just give the government/school district the bare min. I wish all homeschoolers did that. Over compliance can cause stricter laws. Giving the bare min. reduces the school district's expectation and makes reporting easier.

Feel free to visit my little nook
Old 02-15-2008, 05:48 AM   #54
Titus2Momof4
Rose Garden

Titus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove
Tasha, I answered that question above
Quote:
I would suggest that homeschoolers in states that do not allow pure homeschooling need to keep up the fight and not give in. Work to change laws; work to fight for rights to educate. I'm not faulting homeschoolers in those states; I'm faulting the laws of those states
In states with specific restrictions the those who desire pure homeschooling will take them as close to the edge as they can get. It *has* to because it's about doing your own thing OUTSIDE of the state's guidelines. That is why there are groups that have set up to give that umbrella of protection. In fact, when we incorporated years ago we included wording to allow that should we ever need it But I intend to fight tooth and nail to keep that from ever being necessary
I hadn't noticed where you'd answered that.

In reply:

Now you must realize that not *everyone* who homeschools has this "keep gov't out of my schooling as much as possible" mentality, though. Doesn't make them any less of a homeschooler.

Abby (15) Lexi (15) Loralai (13) Noah (11)

Old 02-15-2008, 07:47 AM   #55
Teribear
Deactivated

Teribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is Tasha the founders of the homeschool movement, the ones on whose shoulders we stand, DID have that mentality. That was the core of their argument and the laws that were written were based on a federal precedent of the fundamental rights of the family as the basic unit of society. To take what the movement was founded on and redefine it to suit those of us who benefit from it now in the variety of alternative schooling choices that grew out of it is what endangers the whole thing.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:15 AM   #56
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation

Like I said earlier, I completely understand wanting to keep the ideas distinct, however it's like so many other things...it seems there is an ideal definition and then a practical definition. For example in some places I wasn't really a "breastfeeding mother" because I had to supplement with formula, despite my deeply held ideals about exclusive breastfeeding. I'm a gentle mother but try as I might I'm not gentle every moment of every single day. Still I wouldn't want to be told I'm not included in those groups or that those labels don't fit me.

We'll have hoops to jump through (SueQ, I didn't know you were in PA, I'll probably be pming you if that's ok ) but I'll still try to make the best choice for the kids. I think that choice will be as little involvement with the SD as we can manage, but some people might find more involvement to be better for their kids overall and I think in the practical sense that is the point--what the parents decide is best for the kids being educated at home is homeschooling.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:08 AM   #57
Titus2Momof4
Rose Garden

Titus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to all

Quote:
I think that choice will be as little involvement with the SD as we can manage, but some people might find more involvement to be better for their kids overall and I think in the practical sense that is the point--what the parents decide is best for the kids being educated at home is homeschooling.

Particularly for those who, without ANY accountability, would literally end up doing nothing much, and later on end up worrying because their children aren't up to par with other children their age (and there are no learning disabilities). It doesn't make them ANY less of a homeschooler!

Abby (15) Lexi (15) Loralai (13) Noah (11)

Old 02-15-2008, 10:26 AM   #58
Peaceful Meadows
Rose Garden

Peaceful Meadows has disabled reputation

Quote:
(SueQ, I didn't know you were in PA, I'll probably be pming you if that's ok )
That's fine.

Feel free to visit my little nook
Old 02-15-2008, 10:48 AM   #59
J3K
Deactivated

Hi ! I'm Myrtle. I like to pretend I'm an R.O.U.S.

J3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond repute

Feeling frustrated at the definitions.

If I want to breastfeed , think it's a great idea for as long as possible , but am not breastfeeding (for whatever reason) am I breastfeeding ? Or am I a breastfeeding supporter ?

To open another can o worms.... If I think education on vaccines is important , and respect another's wishes , but still vaccinate my own children....does that make me an anti vaxer ? Or someone who is supportive to antivaxing ?

If you think homeschooling is a good idea , support others doing it , but voluntarily reach out to the public school system to teach your child (location aside)....does that make you a homeschooler ? Or someone who is open to the idea ?

Keeping your child home doesn't necessarily mean "homeschooler". Especially if voluntarily the government is in your home.

I am having some serious strong feelings and don't wish to hurt anyone...I'm trying to fledge thru this just like ya'll are.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:24 AM   #60
jujubnme
Rose Garden

Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness. (James 3:18)

jujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond repute

J3K, I don't see it so black and white. It seems to me with all those areas, there is a whole spectrum of possible levels of participation. With breastfeeding, you have exclusive breastfeeding on one end and no breastfeeding on the other... but is someone who breastfeeds and supplements with formula really a breastfeeder? What if she only breastfeeds once a day, and formula feeds the rest of the day?

With vaxing you have the spectrum between non-vax, selective vaxing and fully vaxing. In this area you wouldn't call someone who has done some or all vaxes a non-vaxer. This is one spectrum where the middle ground actually does have its own appropriate label. But selective vaxers do share some of the same concerns as non-vaxers.

With homeschooling there is a similar spectrum. As previous posters have suggested, there *is* a difference between a child attending public school and doing public school curriculum at home. Not a big one, but it is one step into the homeschooling spectrum IMO. Perhaps if the label weren't homeschooling, but child/parent-led schooling or something like that it would make sense to exclude the middle spectrum from that label, but it's not? Maybe, like with the autism spectrum, those in the middle should just say they're on the homeschooling spectrum?

While it may be important to advocate for the ideal on the far-end of the spectrum, there does need to be support and encouragement for those in the middle, however they get labeled.

wife to my awesome dh since 8/2000 - mom to my sweet jujube ds since 9/2001
all INFPs, living in harmonious chaos.

GLORY be to God for dappled things---
All things counter, original, spare, strange;
Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how?)
With swift, slow; sweet, sour; adazzle, dim;
He fathers-forth whose beauty is past change:
Praise him.

GERARD MANLY HOPKINS

Closed Thread