Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] > Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public* A public forum.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:16 PM   #46
MamaLovesDaddy

Default Re: Ideas for giving them a learning rich environment.. . . .

I Loooooooovvvvvvvvve it!!!!
Old 04-06-2008, 07:18 PM   #47
Momma2Luke
Rose Bouquet

Momma2Luke is a glorious beacon of lightMomma2Luke is a glorious beacon of lightMomma2Luke is a glorious beacon of lightMomma2Luke is a glorious beacon of lightMomma2Luke is a glorious beacon of lightMomma2Luke is a glorious beacon of light

oh my goodness - such amazing ideas!!!! I've printed them off! Thanks ladies!
Old 08-02-2008, 02:55 PM   #48
AngelBee
Climbing Rose

AngelBee is on a distinguished road

taking notes
Angela helpmeet to Rich= Joey 20 (adpoted 3/10)Dominick 13, Abigail 11, Angelo 8, Mylee 6, Delainey 4, Colton, 2, and twin girls due July 2013! Dog Jake and Kitty Sarah Quiverful, Homeschooling family www.bixbyblabs.blogspot.com
"Sometimes I'd like to ask God why He allows poverty, famine, and injustice in the world when He could do something about it...but I'm afraid God might ask me the same questions". ~Anonymous
AngelBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:24 PM   #49
HummusDip

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoismommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowingInGrace
I also love "wonder bottles" for the smaller dc. Filling up water bottles with different materials - water, food coloring and sequins/glitter/baby oil; food coloring and corn syrup; rice and a bunch of small toys or items found around the house (paper clip, penny,buttons, etc). I have bottles filled with colorful buttons in one, and dried beans of different types in another. Super glue the lids to the bottles and then just leave them at child height. They are great and inexpensive.
Those were great ideas, I want to make some of these when Maya is old enough
Me too!!!!! I love the color swatch idea too, and it's free which is fantastic!
Old 08-02-2009, 09:46 PM   #50
Autumn
Deactivated

Autumn has a reputation beyond reputeAutumn has a reputation beyond reputeAutumn has a reputation beyond reputeAutumn has a reputation beyond reputeAutumn has a reputation beyond reputeAutumn has a reputation beyond reputeAutumn has a reputation beyond reputeAutumn has a reputation beyond reputeAutumn has a reputation beyond reputeAutumn has a reputation beyond reputeAutumn has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome ideas!!

Last edited by Autumn; 02-11-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:15 AM   #51
tinyheaths

Back to the bookshelves (not to highjack) I use a kitty litter pan the cheap ones. The books stand up and my dd1 can put them back in even if they take them back out. The best part is you can get one from the dollar store. I am loving the "wonder bottles" have to make those
Old 03-30-2010, 02:31 PM   #52
Quiltingmama
Seedling Rose

Quiltingmama is on a distinguished road

This is such a cool thread! I definitely have to come back and read through it more carefully (and take notes!) when I don't have a fussy little one ...
Quiltingmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:11 AM   #53
Cat
Rose Garden

Cat has disabled reputation

bumping this so i remember to take notes-and in case anyone has more ideas!

Married to J

Mama to A born January 2010

and a kitty bear Sylvia
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:26 PM   #54
Gigi's Mommy

So many wonderful ideas and reminders ... I'll come back to this again and again!
Old 01-24-2011, 04:20 PM   #55
high speed wobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmom View Post
just wanted to add.....

We have a huge tablet of newsprint that we leave out near my sewing area/dh's desk area with a box of colored pencils and crayons. Many times we will get down and color with them. It's nice because if we are doing something on the computer or if I'm "crafting", they are right there with us and we don't have to make trips up and down the steps to check on them.

Play-doh (I think that was mentioned before)

Barbara Curtis has an awesome idea in "Mommy Manual" that I have been wanting to create/update for a year now, and haven't done it yet ....an "art gallery". A collection of famous pieces of art, displayed on their level, that rotates out every week or so. You can talk about who painted it, what they used to make it (also photos of sculptures or other works of art). I went to the poster website (what is it? allposters.com?) and saved a bunch of thumbnails to print out (<<<<ahem>>>>>it's only illegal if I sell them, right? ) and I'm going to make some little cardboard frames to slide the pictures in, and hang them in a little "gallery" at the foot of the stairs. <<<<sigh.>>>>add this to my list of "cool things to do for the kids before they graduate"

The kids love to "wash dishes". I let them pull chairs up to the kitchen sink, put a little water in each sink with some mild (method) detergent, and put all kinds of plastic/non-breakable items in there. Sometimes even the silverware/serving utensils from dinner. They will play like that for a loooooong time....pouring, wiping, squeezing water out of the rag, etc. I have to watch though for dd to run the water and she likes to pour the water *towards* her which is actually into the floor.

We sing/say nursery rhymes *a lot*. My mom got us started on this. She used to teach (assist actually) kindergarten and was amazed at how many children had never even *heard* some of the more popular nursery rhymes or fingerplays. She has a video and a CD and we have some nursery rhyme books. DD calls them "nurshy shrimes"

We do little silly songs often....I'll make up a random song about what we're doing, or sing a familiar song with each word having the same beginning letter (bary bad a bittle bamb....bittle bamb...) just to be silly, and I"ve noticed that ds will do that sometimes on his own. It's cute to watch him think through how to make each word start with the same letter.

I drive dh crazy with how much I talk, but I talk to the kids about *everything*. What I see as we drive down the road...the sounds we hear...how I'm feeling...what daddy is doing (school/homework/riding his bike/etc.), what grandma and pappaw are doing...what we're going to do tonight, tomorrow, stories about when they were babies. I also try to listen and respond in some way to everything they say or ask. I've done this since they were born....even when it was just me and newborn ds in the car, I would be chatting away about something (not incessantly, okay? but casually, like if there were another adult in the passenger seat, kwim?) I think this has helped both of them develop strong language skills and hopefully some strong social and critical thinking skills.

A few days ago dd and I were shopping at the Habitat Homestore and she found a little Mother Goose book and wanted to sit at all the old school desks and read it. SO CUTE!! I wish I had had my camera! It was just .25, so I had her take it to the counter and say "I'd like to buy this please" (she said "Buy dis pweez") I gave her the quarter and had her hand it to the lady, and then take the receipt and when the lady said "thank you" dd said "wekkum" and I told her to say "thank *you*" and she did. It seems easier for me to do "learning moments" when I'm just with one child. I just focus better that way and I'm not worried about what the other one is doing or getting into.

I have tried to be more conscious lately of what/how I can teach them at any given moment, depending on what they are doing/what they are interested in. I think ds has an interest in learning to make letters, so I might start that with him soon, as well as some basic phonics sounds.
the poster website was a crazy good idea! Just saved some of the pics to refer to w/my ds. I love the thought of having him make his interpretation of the classic art pieces or showing him all the diff. types to broaden his artistic ability. He loves to draw, and I think it's important to inspire. So excited about trying this out w/him. Of course since it's not math or history he'll love it!
Old 07-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #56
SarahH2
Rosebud

Living one day at a time

SarahH2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama View Post
I was discussing this with a relaxed homeschooler at the zoo on Tuesday and thought it might be fun to share ideas.

Here are some of the things we do to have a Learning rich environment -- I am sure I am skipping many of the obvious ones

*read lots of books and types of books (poetry, living books, encyclopedias, whatever they are interested in). Toss books on the couches or end tables regularly to catch their eye
*count everything in sight (from shoes to how long it takes water glasses to fill). COunt by 1s, 2s, 3s, 4s, 5s 10s, etc.
*Point out things to "catch their interest" in in an excited voice not your teacher voice "wow the buds are forming on the trees, next will be flowers. Spring is here!"
*study things yourself and share what you are learning with the entire family
*talk as you cook explaining measurements. Get kids involved in cooking
*leave school supply catalogues with bright pictures and fun "kits" lying around the house to spark interest.
*board games
*instruments
*play dress up
*use felt boards
*color, paint, modeling clay
*play the sound game regularly
*have toys pared down and organized into "centers"
*Play verbal games like I spy, how many people have blue on in the room, how many pairs of shoes do you see in the room (leading to how many shoes is that?)
*take them to the library
*zoo
*observe nature (get a bird feeder!)
*garden and teach them things about garden as you go
*carpentry skills
*montessori activities

SOME WRITTEN RESOURCES THAT HAVE BEEN VERY HELPFUL TO ME
*Games for Reading, Games for Writing, Games for Math (Peggy Katz
*the 3 R's (great suggestions for "living math" and for sounds games)
*Ready Set Read (Barbara Curtis) -- this is really a method for teaching reading in a relaxed way but has fun games

I can't think of any more right now

What is the sound game?

Blessed to be a...

Wife, mother of two, homeschooling mom

DS 12/24/01-Compassionate, adventurist, kind, and loving

DD 1/9/07- Spirited, adventurist, loving Diagnosed with Epilepsy 8/11 Praying for a cure

because of Him I am forever changed
SarahH2 is offline   Reply With Quote