Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public* > Gardening *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gardening *Public* A public forum.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:52 AM   #16
PrincessAnika
Rose Garden

dreaming of purple butterflies & bravehearted seahorsies :)

PrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vegetable & Fruit Gardening, 2018

We have our seeds. Finally were able to rototill the other day. I'll do it again in a day or two then we'll plant this weekend. Corn, bush beans, peppers, tomatoes, I forget what else I have. I'm hoping to be able to jar/freeze some stuff this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
It snowed here but didn't accumilulate.

I am looking for some veggies I can grow in hanging pots in my porch. It is the only spot that gets enough sun once things leaf out in a few weeks. Any one have any ideas?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Lettuces, tomatoes, beans!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Angel m/c 6/12/07 @39d, 4/19/16 @6dpo, 8/3/16 @37d
DD1 - K (peanut) 7/26/09
DD2 - M (monkey) 4/19/11
DS1 - C (squishy) 3/23/13
DS2 - J (rascal) 2/4/15
DS3 - A 6/16/17
11/9/7/5/3

::Q:: I add a little excitement, a little spice, to your lives, and all you do is complain. Where is your adventurous spirit, your imagination?

add me on FB
ISFj/p - depends on the day of the week. type 2. i think.

PrincessAnika is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PrincessAnika For This Useful Post:
knitlove (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 05:48 PM   #17
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Dh randomly bought some seeds. We never plant from seeds, always from plants!! But for the fun of it we planted the seeds in anmegg carton. They're sprouting and looking good so far!
Old 04-28-2018, 09:57 AM   #18
tempestjewel
Climbing Rose

tempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant future

I've started

Snow peas and radishes went in first. Then I planted pac choi, winter/cold tolerant lettuce, and sugar snap peas.

Yesterday I planted seed for cauliflower (trying a romanesco variety this year), two types of kale, two types of cabbage, and a row half with orange carrots and half with red.

In another month I'll put out tomato and pepper transplants, and will start trying to grow cucumbers.

My garlic from last fall is all growing beautifully. I also tried planting french shallots, and it seems that all but maybe three clumps didn't come up Not sure what I did wrong or what got to them

The italian plum tree we planted three years ago bloomed for the first time this year, so I hope we have plums! It was growing really lopsided so we pruned severely last year, so I think that is why it didn't bloom. This year it looks so much better and bloomed! Our apple trees (also very young) are blooming too. We have a four-types of pear tree, but it's been hard to try to keep the varieties growing in a balanced way so it is just leafing this year and not blossoming at all (we pruned some of the varieties pretty severely this past winter). I got out and fertilized and weeded the raspberry patch. It's growing well! I also harvested 3 pounds of rhubarb with plenty more in promise.

This is the last year of just watching our asparagus patch grow. We might have been able to harvest the biggest spears this year, but decided to just wait until next year to harvest. I'm really looking forward to that

I told DH I really want to buy mulch this year for the flower beds and for around the raised beds. It would really help me concentrate on weeding the actual fruit/veggie beds instead of everywhere else!
Old 04-28-2018, 10:01 AM   #19
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I got so much done this week! All the seeds are in except the herbs.

Buying tomato plants today.

I ran out of room and I don't know where I'll put cucumbers.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:01 AM   #20
believer
Rose Garden

believer has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond repute

With my family situation, plus the dogs, I haven't done much. I did plant garlic this past fall, which is doing well, and the asparagus is back and I have pumpkin growing where I tossed my fall pumpkin into the garden. I also have a few other volunteers. Other than that, I am not doing a lot at this time in my garden. I would love to see photos of your gardens though!
mom to:
B. - 16 y.o. dd
J.-19yo ds
M.- 25
(MIL to) A - 24
2 white cats, 3 dogs
http://becauseisaidsothathswhy.blogspot.com/
believer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to believer For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 10:07 AM   #21
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by believer View Post
With my family situation, plus the dogs, I haven't done much. I did plant garlic this past fall, which is doing well, and the asparagus is back and I have pumpkin growing where I tossed my fall pumpkin into the garden. I also have a few other volunteers. Other than that, I am not doing a lot at this time in my garden. I would love to see photos of your gardens though!
Every fall we chuck our pumpkins into a field/brushy area and I always hope for volunteer pumpkin plants. So far, no luck. We have gotten volunteer gourds, though. One time, we were living in the city and gourds started growing out of the crack between our driveway and our house. Our driveway went right up to the very edge of the foundation and gourds FLOURISHED there! Crazy! I should've submitted photos to urban gardening websites.

I'll try to take some pictures later this week. Raining today.
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
believer (04-29-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 10:07 AM   #22
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

I planted tomatoes and jalapeno plants last week and this week the bunnies ate all the leaves off the stems. I want to replant, but I need to figure out how to keep the bunnies out.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:10 AM   #23
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by charla View Post
I planted tomatoes and jalapeno plants last week and this week the bunnies ate all the leaves off the stems. I want to replant, but I need to figure out how to keep the bunnies out.
Gah! Stakes and chicken wire? I use Liquid Fence on my flowers and it really works to keep the deer away. It's supposed to be just as effective on rabbits. You could use Liquid Fence on the plants up until the fruits appear.

I've also seen blood meal sold as a rabbit repellent. Never tried it, though.
charla (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 10:12 AM   #24
Lady Grey
Rose Garden

Lady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond repute

Something ate most of our okra and cucumber. The tomato leaves don't look terribly healthy but they are still growing well.

We have a big cluster of volunteer sunflowers!
Old 04-28-2018, 12:16 PM   #25
tempestjewel
Climbing Rose

tempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post

I ran out of room and I don't know where I'll put cucumbers.
There are some great mini varieties suited to containers. Patio snacker and mini munch come to mind. In our previous rental most things had to go into containers. I've been in heaven since we bought a house and can do things permanently!
knitlove (04-29-2018), Soliloquy (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 12:47 PM   #26
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempestjewel View Post
There are some great mini varieties suited to containers. Patio snacker and mini munch come to mind. In our previous rental most things had to go into containers. I've been in heaven since we bought a house and can do things permanently!
I will have to do a container until we can get a few more raised beds put in.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:53 PM   #27
PrincessAnika
Rose Garden

dreaming of purple butterflies & bravehearted seahorsies :)

PrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond repute

Wanted to get some stuff planted but that will have to wait another week.
Will do corn, 1st planting of peas, tomatoes, carrots, buttercrunch lettuce, and 1st beans. Need to rototill again first. After I get fuel.
Not sure which will get planted after that and/or when.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Angel m/c 6/12/07 @39d, 4/19/16 @6dpo, 8/3/16 @37d
DD1 - K (peanut) 7/26/09
DD2 - M (monkey) 4/19/11
DS1 - C (squishy) 3/23/13
DS2 - J (rascal) 2/4/15
DS3 - A 6/16/17
11/9/7/5/3

::Q:: I add a little excitement, a little spice, to your lives, and all you do is complain. Where is your adventurous spirit, your imagination?

add me on FB
ISFj/p - depends on the day of the week. type 2. i think.

PrincessAnika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:09 AM   #28
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

How are your gardens going?

So far we've gotten lettuce, spinach, kale, rhubarb, strawberries, and sugar snap peas.

We have a pocket gopher in the garden AGAIN this year but I just found one of it's holes and there's a trap in there tonight.

Everything is doing well, can't wait to get more veggies and raspberries! And I'm expecting lots of concord grapes this year.

I transplanted some wild black raspberries. I hope they're happy where I put them.
tempus vernum (06-29-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 05:25 AM   #29
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

We didn’t plant till Memorial Day and ended up doing

Lettuce
Bush beans
Peppers
Tomatoes

And we placed our orange tree in rememherance of my aunt in the garden this year since it’s small.

Our lettuce is starting to be ready and so far everything is looking really good

We’ve gotten tons and tons and tons of rain. It’s been dreary and not warm but now starting yesterday over 90 for the next few days so I’m sure everything will start really growing

Lisa, that’s so amazing how much you grow of your own food!!! So exciting. Do we get pics?

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:08 AM   #30
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama View Post

Lisa, that’s so amazing how much you grow of your own food!!! So exciting. Do we get pics?
I'll try! I did some weeding yesterday so it looks a lot better.
tempus vernum (06-30-2018)