Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post] > Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public* A public forum.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:30 PM   #46
BHope
Rose Garden

Finding the Good

BHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recipes and Pics of creations to keep me accountable in my vegan eating...

Those beets are fantastic! Makes me want to run out and plant some in my garden.

DD1 (8 years old)
DD2 (6 years old)
DD3 (4.5 years old)

Eternally missing DFS3 (stored safely in our hearts) and DFS1
Praying for Little R as she transitions into a new family.
May you always know God's love and His comfort.
BHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:32 PM   #47
HummusDip

Default Re: Recipes and Pics of creations to keep me accountable in my vegan eating...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeLady
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaTiger
Quote:
In one of your recipes, you mention making your own cashew milk....how do you do this?
I don't know how she makes hers exactly but I would soak the cashews over night, dump out the water in the morning and put the nuts in the blender. Add more water, as much as you want depending on how thick or thin you like yours. Then I'd blend them and strain it through a milk bag (keep the leftovers from the bag to dehydrate and make crackers or to put on ice cream or in yogurt) then I'd put the milk back in the blender, add honey/agave, vanilla, maybe some dates and a little bit of sea salt. Blend up and viola! Yummy. I usually make almond milk but you can use any nut or seed.
Interesting...so I assume you use raw nuts, right. Sorry for such a silly question...I never knew you could make your own.
correct, raw nuts
Old 06-10-2008, 04:34 PM   #48
HummusDip

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireshifter
Quote:
In one of your recipes, you mention making your own cashew milk....how do you do this?
I'm actually lazier than Mama Tiger. I just take a handful of raw cashews (about a 1/4 cup), throw them in a blender with a cup of water and blend until completely pureed and add a bit more water or cashews depending on how thick I want it. I don't add anything else 'cause I only use cashew milk for cooking or to put in stuff (pancakes, mashed potatoes, etc). It's much cheaper than soymilk and does a great job for that purpose. Also, I can alter the fat content to my liking (more cashews for more fat, if needed).

Jen D.
lol well if I was only using it for cooking or in stuff I wouldn't add the sweeteners and stuff either. But we use ours to drink or on cereal, so that's why we add it. And we soak the nuts because it blends easier in a cheapo blender we have and certain toxins are released in the water, that's why I dump that water out and use diff water. But hey, whatever works for you. It is much cheaper and healthier to make nut milk-any way you make it-than buying premade stuff.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:41 PM   #49
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

Location: High above a great and beautiful canyon in a Golden State city...
Firebird Rising has disabled reputation

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaTiger
Quote:
I don't know how she makes hers exactly but I would soak the cashews over night, dump out the water in the morning and put the nuts in the blender. Add more water, as much as you want depending on how thick or thin you like yours. Then I'd blend them and strain it through a milk bag (keep the leftovers from the bag to dehydrate and make crackers or to put on ice cream or in yogurt) then I'd put the milk back in the blender, add honey/agave, vanilla, maybe some dates and a little bit of sea salt. Blend up and viola! Yummy. I usually make almond milk but you can use any nut or seed.
Interesting...so I assume you use raw nuts, right. Sorry for such a silly question...I never knew you could make your own.
Well, they're called raw cashews, but technically, they've been steamed because there's a toxic substance in truly (just out of the shell) raw cashews. So, they're not truly "raw", but that's what they're called at any supermarket or bulk bin.

Jen D.

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks - Gandalf

Firebird Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:42 PM   #50
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Hope
Those beets are fantastic! Makes me want to run out and plant some in my garden.
I'm SO in love with them. I just planted more yesterday as we've eaten them all. I guess they're pretty as steamed ones too, but again, I don't eat those.

Jen D.

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks - Gandalf

Old 06-10-2008, 10:14 PM   #51
Atarah

we got some of the pink/white striped beets in our CSA share, and much of the color was lost into the streaming water. They are MUCH prettier raw.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:27 PM   #52
CakeLady

would you mind posting your fake cheese sauce for your enchiladas...please....
Old 06-10-2008, 10:43 PM   #53
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

Quote:
would you mind posting your fake cheese sauce for your enchiladas...please....
Yup, it's got cashews in it too. Here it is...

Cheese Sauce (modified from the 7 Secrets book)

1 cup raw cashews
2 cups water
1/2 large or 1 small red bellpepper or 1/4 cup pimientos or a handful of baby carrots or 1-2 medium carrots
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp onion powder
2 tbs food yeast flakes (optional, I leave it out 'cause I hate it in this recipe)
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Blend until smooth. Place in a sauce pan and bring to a boil, stirring until thick. Use for pizza, lasagna, burritoes, etc...

I usually make this every week and have it sitting in the fridge.

Jen D.

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

Old 06-11-2008, 10:32 PM   #54
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

Today was a good day BUT I started sliding at the end and really had a hard time eating only what was on my plate. I did end up getting seconds of supper and there were a few snacks in between that weren't really needed.

So for breakfast, lunch and dinner, here it goes:

Corn chex with blueberries and soy milk

Four corn tortilla tostadas with sloppy jo stuff on it

Macaroni and Cheese with a Tofu Patty with BBQ sauce

Not pictured, dried banana leather (about a 1/2 cup), Starbucks Venti Shaken Lemonade Iced Tea (with Passion tea) (I was SO hungry and thirsty, I feel really good about keeping myself from the really fatty stuff or the snacks at Starbucks), several more tofu patties as I was making them and after they were done.

Let me know what you want recipes for and I'll put them up on Thursday.

I desperately need to eat more veggies...

Jen D.

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

Old 06-12-2008, 05:14 AM   #55
BHope
Rose Garden

Finding the Good

BHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond repute

What do your calories come out to on a day like yesterday? Is it possible that you need a few more snacks?

DD1 (8 years old)
DD2 (6 years old)
DD3 (4.5 years old)

Eternally missing DFS3 (stored safely in our hearts) and DFS1
Praying for Little R as she transitions into a new family.
May you always know God's love and His comfort.
BHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:11 AM   #56
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Hope
What do your calories come out to on a day like yesterday? Is it possible that you need a few more snacks?
It's totally possible. I will spend a bit if time on fitday to find out. I really think it's a compulsivity w/ me, though. I'm not really hungry, just bored or doing my version of acting out I'm so bored and so desperate for peeps to talk to sometimes, I feel bad for myself and think, "one bit won't hurt" etc...

My mom's school gets out tomorrow so at least we can take some of the loneliness out of the equation starting next week.

Jen D

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

Old 06-12-2008, 10:46 AM   #57
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

corn tortillas w/ hashbrowns, tofu "eggs" and gravy (actually had 6 of these little tacos total)
I used the vegan omelette recipe for eggs

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

Old 06-15-2008, 04:40 PM   #58
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

Starting to get a menu ready to help me plan for the weak times that I don't have something ready to eat. I work SO much better when organized.

Here's the menu. Let's see how I do I'm only putting down the weekdays 'cause we tend to be a little more lenient on the weekends and there's a lot of left-overs.

Monday:
B - omelettes, roasted potatoes, muffins

L - spring rolls or sushi rolls (didn't happen 'cause we had a late brunch)
S - beans, rice, fajita-style veggies Kebobs, cole slaw and curry couscous salad

Curry Couscous Salad

1 cup water
2/3 cup couscous
1/4 olive oil (can be omitted if wanted)
3 TB lemon juice
1 1/3 cup frozen veggies (peas, corn, carrots)
2 1/2 TB curry powder (we use the extra spicy one)
1 can black beans

Boil water in small saucepan.

Remove from heat: add couscous. Cover: Let sit 5 minutes. Cool 10 min. at room temp. Combine oil, lemon juice, and seasoning in small bowl, stir well and let stand 10 min. Combing remaining ingredients in a large bowl with couscous and poor dressing over salad. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour to blend flavor.

Tuesday:
B - cereal (hot or cold, not sure)
L - potluck (we're bringing quinoa salad and lentil salad)
S - smoothies, spring rolls or sushi rolls

Wednesday:
B - pancakes
L - veggie wraps (picture showed it half eaten, 'cause I forgot to picture it at first)

S - hungarian goulash

Hungarian Goulash
1/3 cup water
1 1/2 onions, finely chopped
6 garlic cloves
1 red bell, finely chopped
1 green bell, finely chopped
1 lb gluten steaks (seitan), cut into 1 inch cubes (I've included a recipe for this below)
1/4 cup paprika
1 1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 cups water
1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
2 cups sauerkraut, drained
1 lb pasta (fettuccine or rigatoni preferred)

Garnish:
Sour cream (I used soy
chopped fresh dill

Water saute onion, garlic and peppers for 3-4 min, until soft. Add gluten and paprika and saute 1-2 min. Stir in salt and pepper, water, tomatoes and sauerkraut. Let simmer 25-30 min, partially covered.

Boil pasta according to directions. Drain and portion cooked pasta on plates, topped with goulash. Garnish and serve.

Gluten is an excellent meat sub. It does cause gas in some people, but for most, it's not a problem.

Gluten Steak

2 1/2 cups pure gluten powder (vital wheat gluten)
2 cups cold water

mix together until it forms a smooth firm dough. Knead briefly. Cut into pieces around 1-2 inches in diameter. You can either bake the pieces at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or boil them in a large pot of boiling water for 5 minutes.

I also added seasonings such as soy sauce, beef seasoning, onion powder, salt and pepper to the dough to flavor it.

Thursday:
B - smoothie, hashbrowns cold cereal w/ soy milk
L - leftovers
S - pasta w/ sauce to be determined

Friday:
B - cereal (hot or cold?)
L - leftovers
S - some kinda light soup

Saturday:
B - cereal (hot or cold?)
L - potluck for Elijah's party (not a shower, just a party to welcome him)
S - smoothies?

There ya go, stay tuned to see if I follow this. If I do it, it will be highlighted in red. If not, I will strike-out and type in red what I ate instead. I'm also logging on fitday as well so we'll see how that goes.

Jen D.

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

Old 06-15-2008, 04:43 PM   #59
erh384
Rose Trellis

erh384 is a splendid one to beholderh384 is a splendid one to beholderh384 is a splendid one to beholderh384 is a splendid one to beholderh384 is a splendid one to beholderh384 is a splendid one to beholderh384 is a splendid one to beholderh384 is a splendid one to beholderh384 is a splendid one to behold

I'm loving these ideas... keep 'em coming
one snuggly boy 8/10
erh384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:45 PM   #60
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by erh384
I'm loving these ideas... keep 'em coming
NO problem. Let me know if there's anything I've missed a recipe for that you'd like.

Jen D.

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!