Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 07-23-2017, 04:45 PM   #1
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default High School Spanish or French

My DD must start her foreign language credits this year.
She really wants to learn French, but I am thinking Spanish.
We can't afford to take her to a class, time or money-wise, so she has to do it at home.

I took Spanish and while I can't really speak, I still remember quite a bit when I see it on paper, so I can help her. Where can I find a good homeschool Spanish curriculum for high school credit?

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 05:11 PM   #2
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute
Default High School Spanish or French

Just curious- why do you want her to take Spanish if she wants to take French?
Can she take it at a local community college?
ETA: sorry just saw that you need her to take it at home. I don't know if a good accredited homeschool curriculum but hope others can help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 05:25 PM   #3
FlyingBlueKiwi
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

FlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: High School Spanish or French

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
Just curious- why do you want her to take Spanish if she wants to take French?
I was forced to take Spanish, and I must admit to loathing it to this day.

Also, if someone is planning to attend college, it has the least economic benefit - generally the more common the language, the less $ worth (IOW it has great benefit if the objective is to manage the local McDonald's...far less if the objective is to get a job involving a second language in the corporate world..there Spanish has less value than Chinese or Urdu, for example) .

If you are going to do Rosetta Stone, for example, all languages are the same price, so why not explore the many choices available?

Muzzy is often available through libraries for free.

Go Team Lioness!!!
FlyingBlueKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlyingBlueKiwi For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (07-23-2017), Virginia (07-23-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 05:47 PM   #4
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

There are many foreign language threads around here. My children didn't like Rosetta Stone and didn't learn very much from the curriculum

I personally go with what holds interest for my children vs what is best language to pursue. Mine have done Italian, Spanish and sign language so far.

As far as economic value, I wish all my kids would do Spanish because here being bilingual in Spanish greatly improves your salary in many industries.

But I still go with what they are interested in.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
FlyingBlueKiwi (07-23-2017), Virginia (07-23-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 05:52 PM   #5
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

We don't have time to "explore" at this time. She has two more years left of High School, and she needs two years of language. We tried another language, and she couldn't finish it.
I can help her with Spanish. I can't help her with other languages. She is not going to pick up a language easily, so I really need something I know. I don't really have time to learn a new language. I have five kids I am homeschooling, a preschool age child at home, and a MIL that is staying with us that I need to help care for.

I am not really worried about her needing to have a second language to be marketable in any of the fields she is looking into. And honestly, knowing her, she is not going to pick it up enough in two high school years to really be able to use it in real life later anyway. She might be able to do French. She is a ballet dancer, and so she knows a little, but I don't.

I gave her the opportunity to learn French from some apps and a schoolhouse teachers.com class, but she didn't really do it, so now I need to just make sure she does it and gets her credits so she can graduate, KWIM?

Is Muzzy a high school class?? I remember seeing it when she was little.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13

Last edited by RealLifeMama; 07-23-2017 at 05:54 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
FlyingBlueKiwi (07-24-2017), Virginia (07-23-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 06:00 PM   #6
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

you sound frustrated and I apologize if my reply wasn't what u were hoping for.

Most homeschoolers I know who don't do outside classes for foreign languages use Rosetta Stone, mango languages, or apps. We have used mostly apps after hating Rosetta Stone but we have IRL support for our app usage.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:08 PM   #7
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama View Post
you sound frustrated and I apologize if my reply wasn't what u were hoping for.

Most homeschoolers I know who don't do outside classes for foreign languages use Rosetta Stone, mango languages, or apps. We have used mostly apps after hating Rosetta Stone but we have IRL support for our app usage.
Jodi, I did not even see your reply until I had finished replying to FlyingBlueKiwi. Also, I was responding to the question of why Spanish if she wanted to take something else.

How do you get high school credit for an app? Are they classes?

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13

Last edited by RealLifeMama; 07-23-2017 at 06:10 PM.