Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Salads & Vegetable Dishes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 06-27-2016, 02:13 PM   #1
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Prepping Salad? Time-Saving Tips?

I like to have salad most nights. Nothing fancy - romaine and maybe spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, any other random veggie we might have, a hard-boiled egg if we have one, fermented sauerkraut and olive oil. The thing that prevents me from doing salads daily is all the chopping. Lettuce is the only thing I think could be prepped for a few days and would stay fresh. Bagged salads are cost-prohibitive.

Any time saving tips on prepping salad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:28 PM   #2
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prepping Salad? Time-Saving Tips?

We definitely prep veggies when we get them and just keep them in tupperware. Broccoli, zucchini, cucumber, carrots, etc. I am not sure tomatoes would work well but other firmer veggies are fine. I like to chop them up when I get them, otherwise I never get to it. Then they are just in the fridge and easy to open and dump.

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

Peppers could be cut ahead too
Old 06-27-2016, 02:36 PM   #3
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

On the advice of one of my friends, I used to tear (not cut with a knife) a head of romaine and a head of leaf lettuce, dry it in a spinner and store for about five days in a good sealing Tupperware bowl in the fridge. The key is not to use any of the rib parts of the lettuce because they go bad so quickly, just use the leaf part.

Now it just seems easier for me to chop up a couple romaine hearts quickly and add the dressing ingredients and other salad ingredients on top and toss.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (06-27-2016), Vicki_T (03-07-2017)
Old 06-27-2016, 02:52 PM   #4
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes, salad spinners are nice! Cauliflower can also be cut ahead.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:22 PM   #5
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Yeah most salad veggies can be cut up ahead of time and stored effectively in an air tight container in the fridge.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:25 PM   #6
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...gnwaAgjz8P8HAQ

I have loved this product from the time I was in middle school when it was a start up in Houston. They really work. I can cut up veggies and keep them for a long time. Romaine lettus cut up with a knife will keep a week.
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
WanderingJuniper (03-07-2017)
Old 06-27-2016, 05:57 PM   #7
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

My MIL makes a ginormous bowl of greens every Sunday. I think she adds shredded carrot, celery & possibly peppers to her mix of greens. In individual containers, she preps wetter veggies like cucumbers, mushrooms, tomatoes, olives, etc. Every night, she sets everything out and people can make their own salads. When an ingredient is out, it's out for the rest of the week.

mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mommylove For This Useful Post:
bananacake (06-27-2016), JoannaV (03-08-2017)
Old 06-27-2016, 07:50 PM   #8
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Bagged salad is not as expensive at Costco. That being said, I usually don't buy it.

I do buy bags of shredded carrots. They're not expensive and SO much easier!

I also like to add things to salad that aren't produce and are easier to have on hand prepared- canned beans, craisins, canned mandarin oranges, etc.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
bananacake (06-28-2016)
Old 03-06-2017, 08:52 PM   #9
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried the salad in a jar idea?

I made four today. Ate two. (I ran out of greens, so the second one only had homemade dressing, tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado, and chicken.)
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
bananacake (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 02:55 AM   #10
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

I know this is an old thread, but since it popped back up just wondering if you found any solutions or if this was still something that you were struggling with?

My first thought when I read the OP again was to use child labour? Is that an option?
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 05:40 AM   #11
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

I definitely still need more help in this area. Jarred salads are a GREAT idea for me because I generally weigh and measure my food. Something that holds me back from eating enough veggies these days is I hate to measure all the little bits If I had a standard recipe I followed, or I did 3-4 jars at once, that would be a perfect solution!

My kids are really not great with knives But I definitely need to teach them to wash and prep in other ways without using 100 gallons of water each time. That said, my kids actually do a lot of chores already. But so do I, I guess!

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
Old 03-07-2017, 12:30 PM   #12
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Putting dry paper towels into chopped vegetables keeps them from going bad as fast (especially lettuce or anything else leafy). When the paper towel gets wet, take it out and put in a new one.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:03 PM   #13
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananacake View Post
I definitely still need more help in this area. Jarred salads are a GREAT idea for me because I generally weigh and measure my food. Something that holds me back from eating enough veggies these days is I hate to measure all the little bits If I had a standard recipe I followed, or I did 3-4 jars at once, that would be a perfect solution!

My kids are really not great with knives But I definitely need to teach them to wash and prep in other ways without using 100 gallons of water each time. That said, my kids actually do a lot of chores already. But so do I, I guess!
I tried 3 of the 4 THM salads in a jar, and they are fantastic! I will be making 10 every Sunday! (7 for me, 3 for hubby) Really wish I'd tried this last year!
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
bananacake (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 01:12 PM   #14
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
Putting dry paper towels into chopped vegetables keeps them from going bad as fast (especially lettuce or anything else leafy). When the paper towel gets wet, take it out and put in a new one.

I never would have thought of this because we do not buy paper towels. However at the last freezer meal day I hosted, I warned the ladies I did not have any paper towels and they brought me like 9 rolls I supposed you could use dish towels as well

---------- Post added at 03:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECingMama View Post
I tried 3 of the 4 THM salads in a jar, and they are fantastic! I will be making 10 every Sunday! (7 for me, 3 for hubby) Really wish I'd tried this last year!

Are some dairy free?

Old 03-07-2017, 01:29 PM   #15
ECingMama
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananacake View Post
I never would have thought of this because we do not buy paper towels. However at the last freezer meal day I hosted, I warned the ladies I did not have any paper towels and they brought me like 9 rolls I supposed you could use dish towels as well

---------- Post added at 03:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

Are some dairy free?

yep! all of them! I bought some sheep's cheese to use in mine as a garnish though. (Sam's sample)

Do you still have the cookbook? I know it was drama.

http://darciesdishes.blogspot.com/20...dressings.html

Looks like she has a big list here. It's not specific to make-ahead jars, though, so I'll keep looking.

I am doing simple dressing. Oil. Vinegar. Spices. I did do the slim belly jelly one, but I already had it made.

---------- Post added at 01:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

http://letslassothemoon.com/2014/12/...n-jar-recipes/

!!

just took out the THM in my searching