Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Breakfast *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 01-07-2011, 11:09 AM   #1
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help me brainstorm some easy breakfast ideas, please

The catch is that they need to be egg-free, not sweet and easy preparation. I'm totally open to non-traditional breakfast items, too.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help me brainstorm some easy breakfast ideas, please

muffins? there are eggless recipes, and you control how sweet it is

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
charla (01-07-2011)
Old 01-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
mamaKristin
Rose Garden

parenting better than I garden

mamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond repute

I do steel cut oats in the crock pot a LOT these days. Warm, and easy to control added sugars.
mamaKristin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mamaKristin For This Useful Post:
Can'tTurnLeft (01-18-2011), charla (01-07-2011)
Old 01-08-2011, 11:50 AM   #4
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

for more ideas

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Old 01-18-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
mommy2abigail
Rose Trellis

mommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant future

My kids love the flatbread breakfast sandwiches at our local coffee shop, so I started making the same type of thing at home...I buy those flat, round sandwich bread things (kwim? I can't remember the name brand, but I can look it up in the am) a slice of cheese, two slices of bacon (we use the pre cooked stuff, it's WAY easier, not a fatty, and about the same price when I get it from Sams or Costco) and a slice of turkey. I stick it in the convection oven (could use a toaster oven or do it in a pan on the stove tip) just long enough to melt the cheese a bit and Voila! A home made breakfast flat bread sandwich! Sincenothing really needs to be cooked, it takes about 30 seconds to put together and a minute or two to heat. Alternately, you could make one with ham and cheese too.

---------- Post added at 02:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 AM ----------

Oh and cheesy grits have been a hit around here too. Yogurt with granola? Fresh fruit? Breakfast potatoes? (I've done these in a bigger batch, they reheat well, so you could do them the night before) Ham/turkey and cheese croissant rolls? Those are easy, just buy the tube of croissants, and roll the ham and cheese up inside and bake as directed. We've also been known to eat hummus and pita in the morning. I try to get some protien into them, and this is something I can get them while also holding the baby.

“Only the weak are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.”
Leo Buscaglia
mommy2abigail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mommy2abigail For This Useful Post:
charla (01-18-2011)
Old 01-18-2011, 07:37 PM   #6
charla
Administrator

Okay so I think I need some recipes.

We haven't eaten oatmeal. In fact, I don't know if any of us like it, but I'm willing to try it. I don't know the first thing about making it so please share your crockpot recipe. What do you top your oatmeal with?

I looked for some eggless muffin recipes and am coming up short. Do you have any recipes for eggless muffins?

The flatbread and croissant sandwiches would be lovely. Great ideas.

And again, I've never had grits, so could you share the recipe for that, please? Is it like polenta?

Are the breakfast potatoes you mentioned like hashbrowns?

I loooove hummus. Hummus and pita would be so easy and yummy.

Okay now it's confession time. These are ideas for me. My kids eat breakfast just fine. I, on the other hand, can't stand breakfast. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I don't tolerate sweet foods well, especially as the first meal of the day and I'm allergic to eggs.

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Old 01-18-2011, 07:42 PM   #7
PurpleButterfly
Rose Garden

PurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond repute

I usually eat soup and crackers or a sandwich for breakfast.

Fighting for my life against Carcinoid Lung Cancer
PurpleButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleButterfly For This Useful Post:
charla (01-18-2011)
Old 01-18-2011, 07:46 PM   #8
Mert
Rose Garden

Mert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond repute

Bagels and cream cheese might work for you guys (assuming you can find the bagels egg-free). I've did df for a couple of years and was able to find bread and such. I would think that ef would also be possible.

---------- Post added at 02:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 AM ----------

Ahhhhh, I just read your post saying these are for you. I second the soup or just a plain old sandwich. On days when I'm packing lunches and heading out the door, I just nibble on whatever I'm making for lunch or I'll make an extra one to eat as I go.
Mert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mert For This Useful Post:
charla (01-18-2011)
Old 01-18-2011, 07:49 PM   #9
mamaKristin
Rose Garden

mamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond repute

http://dinnerplanning.blogspot.com/2...reakfasts.html

This is my oatmeal recipe. I use all sorts of things as toppings - fresh fruit, dried fruit, nuts, seeds, applesauce. I love oatmeal, and so prefer homemade to the instant packages.
charla (01-18-2011), PurpleButterfly (01-18-2011)
Old 01-18-2011, 08:06 PM   #10
charla
Administrator

Soup! I never even thought of it. I adore soup. Did I say I love soup? I could make me a batch of soup (even one that I love and other people in my family don't ) and freeze it in individual portions for breakfast.

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Old 01-18-2011, 08:20 PM   #11
PurpleButterfly
Rose Garden

PurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaKristin View Post
http://dinnerplanning.blogspot.com/2...reakfasts.html

This is my oatmeal recipe. I use all sorts of things as toppings - fresh fruit, dried fruit, nuts, seeds, applesauce. I love oatmeal, and so prefer homemade to the instant packages.
YUM! I never thought to do overnight crockpot oatmeal but it's brilliant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charla View Post
Soup! I never even thought of it. I adore soup. Did I say I love soup? I could make me a batch of soup (even one that I love and other people in my family don't ) and freeze it in individual portions for breakfast.
I make soup every week and just keep it in the fridge to eat every day. Last week it was beef veggie noodle using leftover brisket and a handful of elbow mac. Tomorrow I'm making bean & turkey kielbasa soup. My standby fave is a simple veggie soup made hearty with the addition of tomato paste. I love making a pot of soup first thing in the morning while the kids are eating breakfast...it smells so good and makes me feel incredibly productive and inspired. I enjoy multiple bowls and almost always add 5 crumbled fat-free Saltines to turn it into comfort-food.

In a pinch, I looove the Lipton Instant Cup of Soup in Creamy Chicken flavor. Just add hot water and it's a 60-calorie treat. (I add my crackers as well.) Not sure if there are eggs, though.

If you have a Vita-Mix or good blender, it's sooo easy to whip up a fast creamy asparagus using canned asparagus, some chicken boullion, your favorite milk and a bit of cornstarch to thicken. Or sub the canned asparagus for cooked broc or cauliflower. I'm a soup girl, too!

Fighting for my life against Carcinoid Lung Cancer
PurpleButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleButterfly For This Useful Post:
charla (01-18-2011)
Old 01-18-2011, 08:31 PM   #12
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

Do you like peanut butter?

I do peanut butter on toast
Skillet breakfast with peppers, onions, potatoes and leftover chicken
Sausages rolled in tortillas or flattened bread dipped in butter and pan fried (easy to freeze and reheat)
Stuffed French toast with cream cheese and fruit
Cheese and tart apples
Lasagna. For some reason I like lasagna in the morning.
Yogurt parfait
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
charla (01-18-2011)
Old 01-18-2011, 08:43 PM   #13
charla
Administrator

Hmmm, cheese and apples. That sounds really good...and easy....and I always have it on hand.

You all are awesome with your ideas.

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Old 01-18-2011, 09:09 PM   #14
mamaKristin
Rose Garden

Other things I like for breakfast (this is me, my kids and DH are cereal junkies ):

-cottage cheese with chopped apple or pear, and some pumpkin or sunflower seeds
- peanut butter mixed with vanilla yogurt, and sliced apple for dipping
- cottage cheese mixed with fruit yogurt
- multi grain toast with peanut butter and sliced fruit
Can'tTurnLeft (01-18-2011), charla (01-18-2011)
Old 01-18-2011, 09:32 PM   #15
charla
Administrator

Wow, this has helped me a lot. I think I was stuck on traditional breakfast foods and yet knew that wouldn't work for me. So I'm formulating a list of ideas and I'm so excited about it.

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save