Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 06-13-2019, 04:34 AM   #16
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Women's World Cup - a bit of griping

Did you see the game? I will say again that I know few people who had issue with scoring. Even fewer with celebrating. But at some point, considering the vast imbalance of skills, many are uncomfortable with the kind of celebrating that happened towards the end of the second half. I have never felt this way before...ever.

And yes, we possibly disagree about the definition of sportsmanship and in the abstract that would be nothing. But taking this back to some of the politics (not Dem/Rep politics that I oppose being in sports, but the pay equity issues), the last thing the US Women's Soccer Team needs is even a faction of their own country men and women thinking they acted like entitled, spoiled brats on the world stage. As is often heard in this house, 'most things are cultural' and the if the argument is going to be 'you non-athletes just don't understand our culture' then the result is that parts of the bigger culture that it exists in is going to step back from firm support of their issues.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
Allison (06-15-2019), deena (06-14-2019), everybody's mother (06-16-2019), twoplustwo (06-13-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 04:57 AM   #17
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

I watched the highlights (all the goals and celebrations). I didn’t watch the entire game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (06-13-2019), everybody's mother (06-16-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 04:59 AM   #18
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticJourney View Post
Did you see the game?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticJourney View Post
So you are aware of the kind of politics Rapinoe is bringing to this?
I was coming back this morning to finish my thoughts from last night but when replies start like the above it becomes very clear that the intent of this thread was to vent not have discussion or share opinion. Starting replies with questions that assume the other participant doesn’t know is dismissive.

I hope you enjoy the rest of the tournament.
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WanderingJuniper For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (06-13-2019), everybody's mother (06-16-2019), Virginia (06-13-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 10:16 AM   #19
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

I know I said I wasn’t going to comment again but my son and I just talked about it and watched the celebrations after each goal. The only one he had an issue with was Rapinoe. He felt that was questionable but otherwise he vigorously defended them. So my lessons have obviously failed
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
Allison (06-15-2019), CelticJourney (06-13-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 10:17 AM   #20
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I asked both questions because they are part of my processing. I apologize if I came off as dismissive. I should have elaborated why I was asking rather than just left the questions.

As for watching the game, I think it might make a difference if someone sat through the entire run of play for an hour and a half and watched the domination and the clear imbalance between the two team. If she had watched the game, that idea wouldn't have been valid. Since she didn't, I'm still wondering if that is where a general (not just here) difference of opinion is based.

Rapinoe is bringing issues outside of soccer or athletics in general into this world cup. Many people think that she is trying to bring up pay inequality, etc and are not aware of the other considerations.

I am more than willing to agree to disagree. My opinion still stands that I found the reaction to such domination of an weak opponent in the name of sport to have crossed a line and is not something I would value as a life lesson for my kids. If others are able to find some value in it, I trust their judgment for themselves.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
Allison (06-15-2019), everybody's mother (06-16-2019), Mother of Sons (06-13-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 11:03 AM   #21
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

CJ, maybe I didn’t watch the game.

But every sports commentator I follow on social media did, and they also seem to disagree on whether the celebrations were acceptable or not. Former USWNT members watched the whole game, and some of them didn’t like the celebrations and some did. Many of my friends are avid soccer fans, coaches, and/or players. And yet again, some of them thought the celebrations are okay and some didn’t.

So I don’t necessarily think watching the entire game and how dominating it was would change my mind. Perhaps it would. But frankly, I doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (06-13-2019), everybody's mother (06-16-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 11:27 AM   #22
CelticJourney
Administrator

Ok, so that answers my question. But can you ever remember a time when this was even a question? I can't. I remember upset over Brandi and her shirt, but not domination.

Just watching Rapinoe saying the problem was not their reaction, but FIFA not investing enough so that teams are better and that since they played last, they were all pinned up and needed an energy release. Whatever.

I will also admit that I've found the US commercials arrogant as well, so I guess I'm biased (which is saying something from me....I kinda bleed red, white and blue).

The commercial I LOVE is the one with Mia Hamm and the Dr. Seuss. SO amazing. Have you seen that one? I think it's Nike. The Gatoraide commercial is pretty cool as well.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
Allison (06-15-2019), everybody's mother (06-16-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 05:33 PM   #23
deena
Rose Garden

deena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a soccer fan but a big NFL fan and in football it's pretty standard to put in your second string if the other team is losing embarrassingly- partly to preserve the health of your starters but also out of respect for the other team. I don't know how viably this transfers to soccer (maybe their backups are just as good?) But in principal, it seems to me that American football players handle this situation with more grace.

26, 23, 19, 15, 12, 8, 2, <1
deena is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deena For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 05:42 PM   #24
CelticJourney
Administrator

Well, to be fair, there are rules in the NFL about celebration, so that is a factor and shows it wasn't always so gracious. Soccer doesn't have those rules and hopefully won't get to the point of needing them.

The Following User Says Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (06-16-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 06:28 PM   #25
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by deena View Post
I'm not a soccer fan but a big NFL fan and in football it's pretty standard to put in your second string if the other team is losing embarrassingly- partly to preserve the health of your starters but also out of respect for the other team. I don't know how viably this transfers to soccer (maybe their backups are just as good?) But in principal, it seems to me that American football players handle this situation with more grace.
At this level, teams are only allowed 3 subs per game.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to The Tickle Momster For This Useful Post:
Allison (06-15-2019), deena (06-23-2019), everybody's mother (06-16-2019), knitlove (06-14-2019), twoplustwo (06-15-2019), Virginia (06-14-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 06:27 AM   #26
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Okay since my head has been in the sand and I know little about soccer , can u share a link explaining what’s happening politically behind the scenes? I am not a soccer fan but I’m intrigued.

Sorry if that derails the thread

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”

Last edited by tempus vernum; 06-15-2019 at 09:28 AM.
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (06-16-2019), twoplustwo (06-15-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 06:56 AM   #27
CelticJourney
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama View Post
Okay since my head has been in the sand and I know little about soccer , can u share a link explaining what’s happening politically behind the scenes? I am not a soccer fan but I’m intrigued.

Sorry if that details the thread
I'll look for links, but this has been going on for awhile, so... Rapinoe brought the kneeling during the national anthem issue to women's soccer. It was not well received. After she did it the first time during a league game, the owner of the next team they were playing at their home stadium had the anthem played before the players came onto the field so she couldn't use that opportunity to protest. US Soccer has made a rule against kneeling during the anthem. Currently, she says she will never sing the anthem nor put her hand on her heart so long as Trump is President, maybe not even after that. And she didn't - every other player did. If you do a google search of Megan Rapinoe, I'm sure you will see a lot on this.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...them/23749109/

https://www.dailywire.com/news/48320...-prestigiacomo

everybody's mother (06-16-2019), tempus vernum (06-15-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 07:34 AM   #28
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Okay that refreshed my memory. somehow I wasn’t connecting the dots.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (06-16-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 08:30 AM   #29
CelticJourney
Administrator

SOOO interesting.

They just showed a video featuring the US National team and it contained interviews with many of the players and showed current and former teams on the field. The players talked about how important it was to represent their country, what an honor it was, how standing hearing the national anthem gave them chills. How they liked to imagine they were a uniting force in a country that is so divided.

Rapinoe was not one of the players....she's a captain. There is even a short snip that has Rapinoe with her hand on her heart at a former game.

Looks like damage control. And it works to a degree for me. I want to cheer for these women who respect who and what they represent (flaws and all).

Old 06-15-2019, 09:02 AM   #30
Allison
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Allison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond repute

I watched the whole game with my oldest son, who was a competitive soccer player over a decade. My husband is a soccer coach. My youngest still plays competitively. In case it matters.

Admittedly, my son is not a huge fan of American soccer, but it was important to him to support our women, so we watched together. We supported them during the last world cup and saw many of these women play in person a couple of years ago. We love this team.

However.

My son was embarrassed by how the goals were celebrated. The celebration behavior of our women was not up to the international standards. I think it made us look like, "Oh. Those typical 'Muricans." Which, I presume is exactly what Rapinoe (who has been my fav on the national team for years - when I agreed with her politics and even now that I don't) would like to avoid.

I'm sad about their behavior and I hope they'll tone it down in future matches.

And, if the men's team was doing the same thing, my son and I would have been just as put off. Nope - correction. He just said, he'd be more upset if the men's team behaved that way.

Allison
Blessed mother of my three sons:
22, 20, 18

Grateful for GCM since 2004

Last edited by Allison; 06-15-2019 at 09:05 AM. Reason: correction
Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Allison For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (06-15-2019), everybody's mother (06-16-2019), HuggaBuggaMommy (06-15-2019), twoplustwo (06-15-2019)