Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:47 PM   #196
MTmomma
Rose Trellis

MTmomma has a reputation beyond reputeMTmomma has a reputation beyond reputeMTmomma has a reputation beyond reputeMTmomma has a reputation beyond reputeMTmomma has a reputation beyond reputeMTmomma has a reputation beyond reputeMTmomma has a reputation beyond reputeMTmomma has a reputation beyond reputeMTmomma has a reputation beyond reputeMTmomma has a reputation beyond reputeMTmomma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fermentation support thread :D

I love soups with kraut. My mom makes a dill potato soup that is just delicious!

Speaking of kraut, I checked on my crock today, and I think my 6 gallons is perfectly ready! Now I'm debating on what I want to do with it. My grandma always canned hers, but I don't really want to lose the super powers that is has right now. On the other hand, I don't have cold storage for it, and I don't want it to go bad. Thoughts?
Little man A (5/08)
Crazy man P (4/10)
MTmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:49 PM   #197
abbiroads
Rose Garden

abbiroads has disabled reputation

If I put ferments in my crockpot on warm would that be to high of a temperature? I have three jars of dilly carrots that are ready but my saukraut I started weeks ago is still no where close and my salsa isn't ready either.
ds2: Eli 4/06
ds3: Judah 4/08
abbiroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:43 PM   #198
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbiroads View Post
If I put ferments in my crockpot on warm would that be to high of a temperature? I have three jars of dilly carrots that are ready but my saukraut I started weeks ago is still no where close and my salsa isn't ready either.
It would be too warm in mine. Mt "warm" setting is very warm.

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:13 PM   #199
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbiroads View Post
I wonder if you put them on warm and left the cover open what temp it would be? Do you have a heating pad? Maybe you could place it in the cupboard with the ferments for a couple hours and then keep the cupboard closed to trap the warmth?

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTmomma View Post
I love soups with kraut. My mom makes a dill potato soup that is just delicious!

Speaking of kraut, I checked on my crock today, and I think my 6 gallons is perfectly ready! Now I'm debating on what I want to do with it. My grandma always canned hers, but I don't really want to lose the super powers that is has right now. On the other hand, I don't have cold storage for it, and I don't want it to go bad. Thoughts?
I think it will still be nutritious and yummy if you can it, it just won't have the probiotics in it I don't think. Otherwise maybe you can put it in smaller jars and use space in the door of your fridge if you don't have too many condiments?

We are going through sauerkraut really fast here now, I need to find a way to make larger batches - what kind of crock do you have?

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:52 PM   #200
MTmomma
Rose Trellis

MTmomma has a reputation beyond reputeMTmomma has a reputation beyond reputeMTmomma has a reputation beyond reputeMTmomma has a reputation beyond reputeMTmomma has a reputation beyond reputeMTmomma has a reputation beyond reputeMTmomma has a reputation beyond reputeMTmomma has a reputation beyond reputeMTmomma has a reputation beyond reputeMTmomma has a reputation beyond reputeMTmomma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaVA View Post

I think it will still be nutritious and yummy if you can it, it just won't have the probiotics in it I don't think. Otherwise maybe you can put it in smaller jars and use space in the door of your fridge if you don't have too many condiments?

We are going through sauerkraut really fast here now, I need to find a way to make larger batches - what kind of crock do you have?
I have a 6 gallon red wing crock that my great grandmother used.
Little man A (5/08)
Crazy man P (4/10)
MTmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:42 PM   #201
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute

okay what do you put in them to get them to ferment? i didn't add anythign extra to my pickles, the online recipe i foudn said you could just do it with extra salt, but i dont think they're actually doing anything.

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Preschool teacher. Musician. Timelord.
Www.justicemercymayhem.wordpress.com

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Chaos Coordinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:41 PM   #202
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Do any of you save your ferment juice and use it for something? Like with pickles, green beans or carrots that have a lot of juice leftover? Like make salad dressing? Or just drink it?

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
Old 10-24-2011, 06:33 PM   #203
Blue-EyedLady
Rose Garden

The Lion Cub

Blue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond repute

I've been using it with olive oil for salad dressing. On the GAPS diet you're supposed to drink it, but I haven't quite gone that far with it yet...

Sister to BlessedBlue forever

Co-Founder and Lead Writer at Food Allergies On Ice

Blue-EyedLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:39 PM   #204
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananacake View Post
Do any of you save your ferment juice and use it for something? Like with pickles, green beans or carrots that have a lot of juice leftover? Like make salad dressing? Or just drink it?
I took the garlic and dill and some of the liquid from my dilly carrots and made tarter sauce, it was pretty good.

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Coordinator View Post
okay what do you put in them to get them to ferment? i didn't add anythign extra to my pickles, the online recipe i foudn said you could just do it with extra salt, but i dont think they're actually doing anything.
Yep that's it. There is naturally good bacteria on the veggies. How long have they been going, have you tasted them? I let my first pickles go waaaaaay too long, they pretty much dissolved.

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AngelaVA For This Useful Post:
Chaos Coordinator (10-25-2011)
Old 10-24-2011, 07:12 PM   #205
Blue-EyedLady
Rose Garden

The Lion Cub

Blue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond repute

Tarter sauce! I tarter sauce, and I haven't had it in so long! Off to google...

Sister to BlessedBlue forever

Co-Founder and Lead Writer at Food Allergies On Ice

Blue-EyedLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:37 AM   #206
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

Another question: during the summer, I was leaving my dilly carrots for a week. It was likely 80-90 degrees. It's 65-70 now. Should I just add an extra day?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-25-2011, 07:13 PM   #207
2Cor1:8-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananacake View Post
Another question: during the summer, I was leaving my dilly carrots for a week. It was likely 80-90 degrees. It's 65-70 now. Should I just add an extra day?
Posted via Mobile Device
I just keep checking mine everyday to see if they are done - smell and taste test.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:25 PM   #208
abbiroads
Rose Garden

abbiroads has disabled reputation

I just realized that my only ferment that has been ready in any reasonable amout of time since it started getting cool was the dilly carrots I put whey in and my sour cream. So I added whey to everything else tonight and I hope I will have some new ferments ready soon!
ds2: Eli 4/06
ds3: Judah 4/08
abbiroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:52 PM   #209
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaVA View Post

Yep that's it. There is naturally good bacteria on the veggies. How long have they been going, have you tasted them? I let my first pickles go waaaaaay too long, they pretty much dissolved.

they were out for 2 days per the recipe i used, and been in the fridge a few months. i havent tasted one recently, but when i did they were just salty.

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Preschool teacher. Musician. Timelord.
Www.justicemercymayhem.wordpress.com

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Chaos Coordinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:39 PM   #210
rebecuna
Rose Trellis

rebecuna has much to be proud ofrebecuna has much to be proud ofrebecuna has much to be proud ofrebecuna has much to be proud ofrebecuna has much to be proud ofrebecuna has much to be proud ofrebecuna has much to be proud ofrebecuna has much to be proud ofrebecuna has much to be proud ofrebecuna has much to be proud of

and you know dilly carrots are done when...??? I don't know what they're supposed to taste like. They taste great right now, kind of like carrot-flavored pickles, but are still crunchy... does that mean they're not done yet? How would I know if they're underdone?
DS2- Turtle, VBAC baby. 4 (October 09)
Healing rheumatoid arthritis through GAPS since October 2011
Remembering Little Bean- January 2009
rebecuna is offline   Reply With Quote