Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Animal Companions (Pets) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* A public forum.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:41 PM   #1
thankfulheart
Climbing Rose

thankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud of
Default Cat urine in carpet

My family will be moving in with my grandmother to take care of her. She has had a cat that peed in the house. We want to have the carpet cleaned before we move in because we have a couple cats and I'm afraid if they smell the urine smell they might mark. Does anyone know if having the carpets cleaned commercially will take care of any smell that might be lingering in the carpets? It needs to be cleaned no matter what but just wondering if there is something special we should do or ask about when I call for quotes.
The Following User Says they are praying for thankfulheart:
Llee (09-02-2018)
Old 08-29-2017, 08:12 AM   #2
domesticzookeeper
Rose Garden

domesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cat urine in carpet

You'll want enzymatic cleaners to be used, ideally those formulated just for cat urine. Enzymes that *soak* the carpet will break up the smells that other cats will be able to scent (even under detergents and other commercial cleaners).
Llee (09-02-2018), mamacat (10-25-2018), Virginia (08-29-2017)
Old 09-02-2018, 01:35 PM   #3
thankfulheart
Climbing Rose

thankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud of
Default Re: Cat urine in carpet---update...help

So we moved in last September. Had new carpet put in upstairs and had the ones downstairs cleaned. We had no problem until a couple months ago. I found something downstairs in the play area that a cat had peed on. I at first thought one of Grams cats had gotten out and peed on it. But then I found some pee on something in the room where she keeps her cats in a cat cage/run. Then weeks later a cat peed on Grams newspapers in her little sitting room...twice. So we started keeping our cats locked upstairs in our living space. That was okay up until a few days ago. I found cat pee on a notebook that got knocked onto the floor...and a purse of mine fell out of the closet and was on the floor...at that point I still wasn't sure which of the two it was, but today...I was sitting on my bed and heard water...and looked at the foot and on the floor a dryer sheet had fallen and she peed on it...with me sitting right here. I am just so stressed out about it. I am cleaning the spots with Nature's Miracle enzyme cleaner but I'm afraid the odor will never really come out and the carpet up here is new. I keep their box very clean, same litter....the only thing I can think of is that it's just this living situation.
I bottle raised these cats and never once did they ever pee out of a box. It started months after we lived here...so I don't know what to think. I know they hate being up here away from us when we're downstairs..but the peeing started before they were locked up here. The urine isn't bloody or anything...and I've seen her going in the box ..so I don't know why she does sometimes and sometimes not. I know that Gram wants me to put her in a cage. I just can't do that , I think that would make it worse. But I'm so stressed she's going to ruin something we can't replace...and this new carpet! ugh. Gram has her two cats caged up because they peed on everything..her furniture, floors, clothes...they are old around 16. And I just hate that they are caged...it breaks my heart to see them in there..mostly because they just don't get the attention they should. She lets them out daily and brushes and pets them in that room...but it just seems sad.

I will call the vet tomorrow, but I honestly don't think she has a UTI. I think she's stressed about this situation here...and I don't know how to fix that. We are looking for a house now...but now that she's peed out of the box I'm afraid she always will because when we move again that will stress her out too.
She'll be 12 years old in December so I guess something *could maybe be going on with her health wise, but I really don't think so.
I can try adding litter boxes around, but her litter box is right there in the landing where she peed on the notebook the other day. So it may not make a difference.

Any advice at all would be helpful!

I just don't know what to do.

Last edited by thankfulheart; 09-02-2018 at 01:38 PM.
thankfulheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:04 PM   #4
domesticzookeeper
Rose Garden

domesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond repute

My older cat was weirdly inconsistent with her litter box usage: absent of health issues, she would start excessively peeing outside of her month roughly once a year It was a nightmare!

Ultimately I took a gamble that she just didn't love using litter. So I started putting puppy pads into empty litter boxes and she was suddenly, consistently faithful to her box Enzyme cleaners worked to make sure the old spots didn't attract her, and puppy pads were not quite as convenient (I flushed the poop and threw away the wet pads), but it was sooo worth not having to worry that she'd stray from her box again. Just something to consider

I agree that I would not see caging as a solution
thankfulheart (09-03-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 04:53 PM   #5
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

One of mine person on things she feel are out of place. So if my dd leaves out her backpack on the floor instead of hanging it up, it gets peed on. Not all the times, but enough so that they are motivated to put things away.

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Llee For This Useful Post:
thankfulheart (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 06:01 PM   #6
thankfulheart
Climbing Rose

I will try the puppy pads. It can't hurt!!

I've been making sure not one thing is on the floor up there...I hope once we move and she feels safe and less stressed this will stop.

We did find a house that we are going to try to buy. It's all hardwood, tile or laminate. No carpet. The family does have a cat and two little dogs...so I guess we'll clean that floor as best we can. How do I clean/sanitize hardwood floors? Only one room has that, the rest is tile or laminate.
The Following User Says Thank You to thankfulheart For This Useful Post:
mamacat (10-25-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 05:46 PM   #7
thankfulheart
Climbing Rose

UGh! We are packing to move. Weeks and weeks ago, probably around the time I posted on this thread last...we bagged up all Bug's stuffed animals and put them in garbage bags in her closet anticipating moving. There was an old baby blanket of hers thrown on top of them and half on her wooden toy horse stable. Tonight when we were packing we found cat urine on the blanket, dripping down the bags and on the floor. It was sticky and the stuff on the floor was still damp. It was on her wooden horse stable, on one of the horses...like the cat peed up there and it ran in different directions. The stuffed animals didn't have urine directly on them but the ones close to the pee on the outside of the bag had absorbed the cat urine smell. We put those in the wash with some nature's miracle, hoping that the smell will come out. It was faint mostly but there. Some of them were some of her favorites from her bed that we bagged up with the rest just to get them out of the way. She was crying so hard. I just hate this. And I hate that nothing seems to be safe from the cat. I haven't found any spots since last post...so I thought we were good. Now I'm so stressed about moving to our new house, we're not getting the one I mentioned above. There is carpet in the bedrooms, but the rest of the house is tile or laminate hardwood.
What do I use on laminate and tile to get urine off if she should pee on it?

Last edited by thankfulheart; 10-23-2018 at 05:48 PM.
The Following User Says they are praying for thankfulheart:
Llee (10-25-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 08:14 PM   #8
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so, so sorry.

In my experience, Bac-Out works better than Nature's Miracle. I buy it by the gallon from Amazon.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
thankfulheart (10-24-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 07:32 AM   #9
domesticzookeeper
Rose Garden

I was just having a conversation about this with my vet yesterday - our cats had a history of non-UTI urinary issues years ago and the research on why that is has discovered a lot over the years, but the understanding now is that the cortisol being released in the brain causes inflammation in the body, especially in the urinary system. She's a very, very low-intervention veterinarian but she said that honestly they will put a cat on a low dosage of Prozac if they are having problems with stress-related urination, at least until the environmental causes of the stress can be mitigated. I know a few people who have needed to do that and it really can make a difference

I recently moved cross-country with a 14yo cat, so I know how hard it can be to keep their world stable

---------- Post added at 08:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by thankfulheart View Post
What do I use on laminate and tile to get urine off if she should pee on it?
I honestly LOVE the Clorox urine cleaner for this specific medium (tile and laminate). It's hydrogen peroxide based and it was the only thing that really worked for us to get the odors out of semi-porous surfaces.
Llee (10-25-2018), Soliloquy (10-24-2018), thankfulheart (10-24-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 07:03 PM   #10
thankfulheart
Climbing Rose

I should take her to the vet. I'm not very confident he will help though. He's a rural farm vet and not sure how he'll feel about medicating her..but I will definitely find out! We have to figure out something. Bear came home tonight to pick up some of her things for her new apartment and found that the cat had peed in a laundry basket of her clothes that she's had in her room for awhile. Things she left last month when she moved out an didn't need until now. My dh is really, really not happy and wants to "do something" about it. I'm assuming he means confining her. Ugh..I never thought I'd be dealing with a cat that does this...I'm 45 and have had cats since childhood and this is the first.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:48 PM   #11
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

Not to be a debbie downer but would limit her to the rooms w/o carpet and laminate if you can. laminate is almost instantly damaged by animal urine IME. Unless maybe it is the newest waterproof kind?
Especially if it sits for any length of time even just overnight

---------- Post added at 12:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 AM ----------

Just had a ping that some cats need to change to another kind of food because some can cause urinary issues? Especially as they get older?

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (10-25-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 07:00 PM   #12
thankfulheart
Climbing Rose

I have no idea what kind it is...I will see if I can find out from the seller. Our closing got moved twice, now it is set for Monday afternoon. I am so stressed about this move with the cat. I raised her from day 1, so she's family, she stays...but oh man...we've been blessed to find a house that was flipped and has all new everything..it's so nice and I know that a cat peeing in there is not going to go over well with dh. I mean I hate it! But she's my cat...not his. :/
I want to take her to the vet....but we just had a vet visit this week with the dog, she ripped her entire nail off and was just hanging..I had to have it removed and she had to have pain meds..so it wasn't too bad, but wasn't cheap. We found out today we have to come up with another couple hundred by Monday for closing because of something that came up with some of the fees. So ugh.

What do you think about those plug ins with phermones that are supposed to be soothing to cats?

I plan on keeping her confined in our bedroom for several days after we move. I think part of her stress is that we moved from her home...into a chaotic house with a strange dog, and my grandma's cat smells in the house...and it was stressful. Then when she started peeing downstairs she was confined upstairs away from her people...which was MORE stress. So I'm really, really hoping that moving to this house, where there will be no smells from previous animals, and it's back to just us and our dogs and our things...and we're all on one floor together all the time, that she will calm down and be less stressed? Man I hope!!!

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

I ordered some of the Clorox cleaner on amazon...and I plan on getting some Bac Out next order.

Also, the stuffed animals I ran through the washer and dryer are fine! I think it saved them that they didn't have urine directly on them...I am so glad and Bug keeps thanking me for trying. I have the baby blanket that has urine on it in a plastic bag...is there any hope for it? Should I soak it in the clorox when it arrives to see if it takes it out?

Last edited by thankfulheart; 10-25-2018 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:07 PM   #13
domesticzookeeper
Rose Garden

Quote:
What do you think about those plug ins with phermones that are supposed to be soothing to cats?
I'm of the opinion that "it couldn't hurt" but, IME those were never particularly life-changing for our cats. They maaaybe took the edge off but they just weren't worth the expense for us. Maybe someone else might chime in with a different experience

Quote:
So I'm really, really hoping that moving to this house, where there will be no smells from previous animals, and it's back to just us and our dogs and our things...and we're all on one floor together all the time, that she will calm down and be less stressed? Man I hope!!!
Moving is so, so, SO stressful And I'm probably going to repeat stuff you already know, but I just went through this myself As much as is reasonably possible, definitely pick a room where she can have all of her stuff in one place, a place where you're not having a ton of traffic and constantly moving boxes, and a place for her get away from the moving madness if she wants to. I personally picked some boxes that I knew would remain packed for a long while and I just stacked them in a pyramid. Cats gain a lot of security from feeling like they can get off the ground and out of reach. You can even turn an empty box into a den that's just hers to hide in. Security and stability will go a long way to her feeling settled again

Quote:
Should I soak it in the clorox when it arrives to see if it takes it out?
I would read the label carefully, but I would think that'd be fine. So sorry that you're having to deal with that
Llee (10-26-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 08:24 PM   #14
thankfulheart
Climbing Rose

I told dh tonight that I want to get our room put together first...everything unpacked an in it's place before we take the cats over. Fortunately they can stay here at Grammy's until we get everything moved over for the bedroom and set up...then we don't have to worry about them escaping during the move.They have a big cat tree in our room here that they sleep on in front of the window. I will have it in there along with their litter box...I plan on putting treats around the room and hopefully that room will just be a calm room. She peed in the cardboard flat box that their canned food came in...it was sitting on the floor with cans still in it and she peed right on them. That was a month or two ago. We usually are so careful not to leave anything on the floor..just never thought she'd do that. So I probably shouldn't leave a box down for her. But the tree has two big hidey holes in it and several perches. So she will have a place to get in and hide if she wants.

The baby blanket was a handmade gift that I was given at her baby shower. I will probably just soak it...if it works, great...if not, I lost it anyway with the urine. :/

---------- Post added at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

I may get a plug in for the bedroom...it surely can't hurt. lol

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

I'm still just shocked that she got up on top of the stuff in Bug's closet and peed...and in Bears clothes basket. Before it was just things on the floor...so this is kind of scary.