Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Breads / Muffins *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 02-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
Blue Savannah
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Blue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dave's Cracked Wheat Bread--IDNO similar recipe

My picky eater likes Dave's Cracked Wheat bread. I would love to duplicate it as closely as possible at home.

Ingredients: whole wheat (flour and cracked wheat), water, evaporated can juice, gluten, oat fiber, canola oil, molasses, yeast, sea salt, cultured wheat.

Blue Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dave's Cracked Wheat Bread--IDNO similar recipe

Is this from the same bakery as "Dave's Killer Bread"?
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
Blue Savannah
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Blue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond repute

That's right!
Old 02-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
RiverRock

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm....you have inspired me to try tweaking a recipe I have to see if I can get a nice soft, sweet, whole wheat bread. I'll come back with results, and hopefully have a recipe to share.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
The Following User Says Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
Blue Savannah (02-04-2012)
Old 02-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #5
Blue Savannah
Deactivated
I support GCM!

bump!
Old 02-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #7
RiverRock

I was hoping someone else had posted a recipe. I went to my local mill and bought the flours and wheat kernels I need. I couldn't find "cracked wheat" at the store, so I need to make my own.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #8
Blue Savannah
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Well. . . I'm out of bread, so I'll play around.

Wish me luck.

---------- Post added at 11:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------

This looks similar. I think I will use cracked wheat and oat bran instead of seeds/nuts?

But what do you think is the "cultured wheat"?
Old 02-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
RiverRock

Could it be similar to a sourdough starter? I wondered if letting the bread rise overnight would give it a bit of a "cultured" taste. I'm also wondering how important the "cracked wheat" is to the recipe, since the description on Dave's website if that it's a whole wheat bread without the seeds and crunchy bits.

quote from site:
"A Killer Bread for those who don't like all of the extra grains and seeds, but want a delicious 100 whole-wheat bread with 5 grams of fiber!"

Can you see or feel the texture from either the oats or the cracked wheat in the bread? It it soft and chewy bread? I've only had the original and 12 grain breads.

---------- Post added at 10:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 AM ----------

Blue Savannah, I checked your link and that recipe calls for a lot of yeast. A Tbsp. of instant yeast is more than my 5 loaf recipe of potato bread calls for (fresh in my memory because I made it a few days ago). It probably rises quickly.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #10
Blue Savannah
Deactivated
I support GCM!

I cut down the yeast. I used 1.5 teaspoons, but I'm at high altitude--I'm hoping it isn't too much.

The Dave's definitely has some noticeable pieces of cracked wheat. Other than that, it is soft and chewy. I never noticed "oat" until I read the ingredients.

I used the recipe linked, just reducing the yeast, using cracked wheat instead of sunflower seeds and oat bran instead of walnuts, 4 T evaporated cane juice and 1 T molasses and 2 T gluten (I left out the bread improver). There was not enough water, so I also used 1/4 c whey. Instant culture.

But I do think either an overnight rise or so sort of pre-ferment would work.

It's on the first rise now--it took a LOT of kneading (kitchen aid ).
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Savannah For This Useful Post:
RiverRock (02-13-2012)
Old 02-13-2012, 01:38 PM   #11
RiverRock

Here's what I have rising in pans at the moment. It made 4 small loaves. Time will tell if the recipe would be better suited for 3 larger loaves.

RiverRock's Killer Bread

-mix in a bowl:
4 c. whole wheat flour
1 Tbs. instant yeast

-in a seperate bowl mix:
1/4 c. molasses
1/4 cup sugar
3 c. warm water
1/2 c. oil
2 eggs

-add wet ingredients to flour/yeast mixture and thoroughly mix, then add:
4 c. unbleached flour
1 c. oatmeal (whirled in the Ninja until almost a flour)
1 tsp. salt

-knead until smooth
-let rise in warm place until doubled
-punch down then let rest a few minutes before forming into loaves
-let rise until doubled
-bake at about 350*C or until browned and sounds hollow when knocked on the bottom

My ww flour is freshly milled and has visible bran flakes so I didn't bother with cracking my own wheat. I wasn't sure if it would soften enough, but for an overnight rise I think it would soften enough. I used sugar because the ingredients said that "evaporated cane syrup (sugar)." I think 1/4 c. might be a bit too much molasses, but I will know better once the bread is ready to eat. I find Dave's bread to be very sweet so I think the overall amount of sugar and molasses will be fine. I'm not sure my bread will be as dense as Dave's so some tweaking on the amount of flour might need to be done. After the first rise, the bread seemed spongy.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Blue Savannah (02-13-2012)
Old 02-14-2012, 07:33 AM   #12
Blue Savannah
Deactivated
I support GCM!

What does your family think, RiverRock?

My son (who is the picky one who eats a total of 3 foods without complaint, Dave's Cracked Wheat being one of them) declared it "better than Dave's! We should tell Dave about this recipe!"

Everyone else really likes it, too.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blue Savannah For This Useful Post:
RiverRock (02-17-2012), The Tickle Momster (02-14-2012)
Old 02-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #13
RiverRock

Everyone loved the bread I made. I thought that it could have been more dense and might try adding an extra cup of flour next time. Sweetness was fine. My recipe would probably work well for buns as is.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Blue Savannah (02-17-2012)