Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Breads / Muffins *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 01-15-2009, 08:20 PM   #241
blossomnatalia

Default Re: BREAD REVOLUTION!!! (pic and link included)

Man, I am still waiting for mine!
Old 01-16-2009, 08:09 AM   #242
CakeLady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangababys Mom
I added herbs to my bread tonight
Did you just add them to the loaf you were making for supper or did you make a whole new batch with the herbs? What did you add.....
Old 01-16-2009, 11:57 AM   #243
Naked Camper
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Naked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond repute

i gently folded in Italian herbs and garlic powder to last night's specific loaf. it was yummy

Married to my best friend of 17 years
Mommy to:
baby Micheal ('03)
Malachi - 8
Corban - 5
Asher -4
Evangeline - 2

Fruit of Labor Placenta Encapsulation
Naked Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:06 PM   #244
DancingWithElves
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Blissed out in the January sun

DancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond repute

So, i thought that i'd finally chime in and tell you what i've been doing
I've been baking bread the regular way for years... but since the car wreck my right arm is partially paralyzed and i cannot knead very well so that sucks. So, when i saw this, it was a true blessing
i keep a sourdough starter going, and to the recipe, i put 1/2 c of starter plus 1/2 the amount of necessary yeast, or even less. it is wonderful.
i use white whole wheat and i like it a lot better than red whole wheat with this recipe.
i do not have a pizza peal or a stone circle thing. But, i had WONDERFUL results using my cast iron skillet instead of the stone. I put the loaves to rest right on the skillet, so i don't have to move them before putting in the oven... i know it's not 100% the same, but works great for me.
Instead of cornmeal I use wheat bran works beautifully.
When I do not feel like I can slash a loaf nicely (say, it's in a pan), i take a skinny knife and poke 5-6 vertical holes in it--great results.
Also, when I need something for sandwiches, I make white or wheat in a pan--less crust and more predictable shape too.
Out of this world, is 1/2 wheat 1/2 white My fav. so far. I use some molasses and honey to sweeten it and I cannot use dairy, so no milk.
So, thanks so much
my arm thanks you, my belly thanks you, my husband thanks you, and my little dude thanks you (butta mama, butta breatt!, butta )

my belongs to the babywearing 'Architect'
Dancing with my three Magical Elves Smiles the Stampede Sugar Plump & Double Dimples

Kissing each elf 1,000,000 times a day, and when there's time left tracking gnomes, singing folk songs on the porch, befriending dragonflies, and bopping sun-frosted 'fros through the dandelion fields.

DancingWithElves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:52 PM   #245
Blue Savannah
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Blue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond repute

I have a batch rising right now. Like a pp, I did two cups WW (I'm doing the recipe from the book which is half of the MEN recipe). We;re planning pizza and a crusty bread for greek salad this week.

What a perfect postpartum bread recipe!
Blue Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:29 PM   #246
Mert
Rose Garden

Mert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond repute

This thread has been sooooooo inspirational!! Thanks to blossomnatalia for getting this started and to everyone else who contributed pictures and shared their experiences. Here's my second loaf (like others the first was gobbled up too quickly for pictures) and an egg cup inspired by the official website... http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/?p=482 Mine don't look as good as theirs, but boy was it YUMMY!!

(clickable thumbs)
Mert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:39 PM   #247
blossomnatalia

Oh i am so sorry... .

I did not try the 100% ww loaf yet, so I can't really help you there. I hope you figure out what is going on SOON.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:40 PM   #248
blossomnatalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mert
This thread has been sooooooo inspirational!! Thanks to blossomnatalia for getting this started and to everyone else who contributed pictures and shared their experiences. Here's my second loaf (like others the first was gobbled up too quickly for pictures) and an egg cup inspired by the official website... http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/?p=482 Mine don't look as good as theirs, but boy was it YUMMY!!

(clickable thumbs)
beautiful loaf there!!!
Old 01-16-2009, 08:52 PM   #249
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

You ladies might want to look into sourdough crocks or pickling crocks, or any stoneware crocks. They're the original containers for sourdough bread. They come in appropriate sizes, are non-toxic, and let the dough breathe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneandbaby
I'm just going to presume this recipe does NOT work well at altitude and/or with freshly milled spelt. I mean, I follow the recipe and it's not rocket science so
Spelt definitely does not work the way regular wheat does.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:27 AM   #250
blossomnatalia

I just added a you tube video in OP. It is an interview and demonstration by the authors.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:20 PM   #251
blossomnatalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mert
(...) and an egg cup inspired by the official website... http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/?p=482 Mine don't look as good as theirs, but boy was it YUMMY!!

(clickable thumbs)
I just made those muffins thingies for breakfast,...humm brunch and Oh My WORD! it was YUMMY!!! and so much fun!!
Make sure you do use emmental cheese though, it really makes it with the egg.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:23 PM   #252
Mert
Rose Garden

Mert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blossomnatalia
I just made those muffins thingies for breakfast,...humm brunch and Oh My WORD! it was YUMMY!!! and so much fun!!
Make sure you do use emmental cheese though, it really makes it with the egg.
And really roll out the dough as thin as they say or your whole cup will be full of bread and there's no where for the egg to go.
Mert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:45 PM   #253
blossomnatalia

Default Re: BREAD REVOLUTION!!! (pic and link included) (Video added in OP)

I meant to post pic of them

Old 01-18-2009, 07:08 PM   #254
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

I made my first go at. No cornmeal. A plastic, textured cutting board instead of a pizza peel. A cookie sheet instead of a stone. A 2 gallon iced tea pitcher for storage.

My fridge is too cold at 33 degrees, but can't be changed. That does affect the loaves, especially when the kitchen is a tad chilly, too. I have to pick the bread up off the cutting board because nothing slides on it, no matter how much flour I put under it, which deflates it a bit. The cookie sheet doesn't allow for the perfect crust, but it's better than a bread machine and my usual challah bread. The bread does not sing. It takes up a chunk of the day with the oven, so I have to plan meals around the bread more carefully than I'd like.

It was both an amazing success and a stunning disappointment. The loaves taste great, but are super super tiny. A one pound loaf came out to four and a half slices. We've made three loaves today, and will freeze the fourth so that I can get another round into the pitcher for tomorrow.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:27 PM   #255
Blue Savannah
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Blue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond repute

Rene, I made two loaves this weekend (high altitude). Well, one pizza, one loaf. I'm wondering if it's not great at high altitude. It was OK bread--not great. I adjusted for high altitude.
Blue Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote