Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #1
wallflowermama
Rose Bouquet

wallflowermama is a name known to allwallflowermama is a name known to allwallflowermama is a name known to allwallflowermama is a name known to allwallflowermama is a name known to allwallflowermama is a name known to allwallflowermama is a name known to all
Default Out of the closet on no spanking...

I am in choir at my church and as we were all waiting backstage on Sunday to come out, somehow the topic of parenting came up and a fellow mommy, who also happens to be the lead female worship leader and who is also very much pro-spanking, asked me in front of everyone if we spank. I think she was expecting me to say yes, but when I said no she played it off pretty well. I could feel the stares from around the room...and just wanted to disappear.
I've never been asked straight out before, nor have I offered that information to anyone except for some rare one-on-one cases where I felt it would be well-received.
When we got home I told DH that now everyone is going to know and that we might be excommunicated *sarcasm* and his response was "Good! I'm glad they know now." I'm so thankful for a husband that is on the same page with how we raise our kids, but I don't know how he can NOT care what people think. I wish I could be more like that.
Anyway, now DH wants us to make a list of our reasoning as to why we do not believe in spanking so he can have an answer ready if anyone brings it up.

INxJ Type 4/2 Wife to DH since 2003
Homeschooling Mama to Munchkin #1 (M) - Sept/05, and Munchkin #2 (A) - Nov/10

wallflowermama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to wallflowermama For This Useful Post:
amydawn (06-05-2012), amyjoy (06-05-2012), AngelaVA (06-05-2012), blondie (06-05-2012), CelticJourney (06-16-2012), Little Forest (06-05-2012), Llee (06-05-2012), Quiteria (06-05-2012), SewingGreenMama (06-05-2012), sherry (06-06-2012), StoryOfGrace (06-05-2012), Teacher Mom (06-13-2012), TenderLovingWillow (06-05-2012), Zooey (06-06-2012)
The Following 6 Users Say they are praying for wallflowermama:
amyjoy (06-05-2012), Barefoot Bookworm (06-05-2012), Llee (06-05-2012), TenderLovingWillow (06-05-2012), Zooey (06-06-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
JustMandy
Deactivated

Location: Among the tall straight pines of the coastal plain.
JustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Out of the closet on no spanking...

Your dh sounds great!

(I mean that in a non-creepy way)

So, what are your reasons?
JustMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JustMandy For This Useful Post:
rjy9343 (06-05-2012), StoryOfGrace (06-05-2012), wallflowermama (06-13-2012), Zooey (06-06-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
amydawn
Rose Bouquet

amydawn has a reputation beyond reputeamydawn has a reputation beyond reputeamydawn has a reputation beyond reputeamydawn has a reputation beyond reputeamydawn has a reputation beyond reputeamydawn has a reputation beyond reputeamydawn has a reputation beyond reputeamydawn has a reputation beyond reputeamydawn has a reputation beyond reputeamydawn has a reputation beyond reputeamydawn has a reputation beyond repute

How awesome that your DH is so on board. Mine is as well. Doesn't it just make you shake your head though that *you* are the weird one because you don't hit your children? It's like we're living in some sort of backwards land or something. I just can't get over it.
a good book under a tree (06-13-2012), JoEllen (06-05-2012), JustMandy (06-05-2012), Niphredil (06-05-2012), ReadingMommy (06-05-2012), rjy9343 (06-05-2012), Teacher Mom (06-13-2012), wallflowermama (06-13-2012), Zooey (06-06-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
StoryOfGrace
Rose Garden

INFP...Don't mind me!

StoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond repute

for your DH (and you )!

Really, I think having a list of reasons is a great idea. Are you looking for help compiling some, or are you just sharing (which is totally awesome BTW )?

I have to say...that was a rather rude thing for that lady to come out and ask you in front of everyone. But I'm not a fan of being put on the spot at all...so that may be where that's coming from.

"Nobody knows what we're for only what we're against when we judge the wounded.
What if we put down our signs, crossed over the lines, and loved like You did?
"
~Casting Crowns

StoryOfGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to StoryOfGrace For This Useful Post:
a good book under a tree (06-13-2012), Teacher Mom (06-13-2012), wallflowermama (06-13-2012), Zooey (06-06-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #5
Glitterfish
Rose Garden

That's not grey in my hair, it's glitter growing from my head. Duh. (formerly of the sstarcake variety)

Glitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond repute

That's awesome! I'm jealous that your husband is in agreement w/ you on the no spanking thing.

I'd be interested in reading a list of reasons

Punky
Peanut
Stinker
two we never got to hold
and one due in May 2015

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!". ~Mythbusters
Glitterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Glitterfish For This Useful Post:
wallflowermama (06-13-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
TenderLovingWillow
Rose Garden

TenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond repute

After the fall out was finished, coming out of the no spanking closet was sooooo awesome. People say stuff to me now, and its so much easier to just disengage. I hope it goes smoothly for you.
TenderLovingWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TenderLovingWillow For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #7
SweetCaroline
Rose Garden

a little Attachment Parenting will fix that

SweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

yes..be so thankful ..
ISFP
SweetCaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SweetCaroline For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2012, 01:55 PM   #8
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflowermama View Post
Anyway, now DH wants us to make a list of our reasoning as to why we do not believe in spanking so he can have an answer ready if anyone brings it up.
Your DH rocks.

You might find this Letter to a Pastor About Spanking helpful.

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (06-13-2012), GraemesMomma (06-05-2012), rjy9343 (06-05-2012), wallflowermama (06-13-2012), Zooey (06-06-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #9
dukeofhazzard
Deactivated

dukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond repute

That seems really odd that she asked you outright . I think it's great that you and your hubby are united! You guys will be a great example to the other parents .
dukeofhazzard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dukeofhazzard For This Useful Post:
StoryOfGrace (06-05-2012), wallflowermama (06-13-2012), Zooey (06-06-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #10
J3K
Deactivated

Hi ! I'm Myrtle. I like to pretend I'm an R.O.U.S.

J3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond repute

Once I stepped up and admitted we don't spank , it became easier each time.
J3K is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to J3K For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (06-05-2012), Eowyn (06-05-2012), TenderLovingWillow (06-05-2012), wallflowermama (06-13-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #11
Eowyn
Deactivated
I support GCM!

I am no man!

Eowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3K View Post
Once I stepped up and admitted we don't spank , it became easier each time.
Almost 9 years in, and I'm still slowly coming out of the closet. It's definitely getting easier to be more vocal as I get older.
Eowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eowyn For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #12
Sonata

I haven't had this issue about spanking, but something very similar happened about TV a couple of years ago. I was at a playdate through a moms group, so I kind of knew the other moms but not really, and near the beginning another mom asked me directly if I ever let my son watch TV. I don't, so I said so, although I wouldn't bring it up because I know it can be so emotional.

Throughout the WHOLE rest of the playdate, the other moms kept bringing it up, and how useful they thought certain videos could be, or how they used to say "no TV" but then they realized that was unreasonable, or how I could only do it because I had one child, and as a mother of 3 there was no way..... on and on and on. If it had just been one conversation, I would have left, but it just kept being a sentence here or there peppered in. I felt very cornered.

What helped me, and I hope could help you, is realizing that they are only so defensive about it because they had doubts that they were right. My being different brought up fears that they were wrong, so they had to reiterate their position over and over, and list all their reasons. It wasn't really for me, it was for themselves; I just happened to be the catalyst.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
a good book under a tree (06-13-2012), Hermana Linda (06-05-2012), J3K (06-05-2012), StoryOfGrace (06-05-2012), SweetCaroline (06-06-2012), wallflowermama (06-13-2012), Zooey (06-06-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #13
J3K
Deactivated

Hi ! I'm Myrtle. I like to pretend I'm an R.O.U.S.

J3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond repute

I , too , have been the catalyst for several alternative things I do.

It helps when your kids grow to teenagers and a whole 'nother set of brand new parents find out you stopped/didn't spank(ing). "But your kids are so nice , so well behaved..."

The proof really is in the pudding.
J3K is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to J3K For This Useful Post:
allisonintx (06-05-2012), BarefootBetsy (06-05-2012), Damselfly (06-05-2012), JustMandy (06-06-2012), StoryOfGrace (06-05-2012), Teacher Mom (06-13-2012), The Tickle Momster (06-13-2012), wallflowermama (06-13-2012), Zooey (06-06-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #14
allisonintx
Rose Garden

Some Cal/Mag will probably fix that.

allisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond repute

It's easier to be "outed" when you have older kids

I kept quiet when they were small, because you can't spank a 3yo out of being 3 no matter how much relatives ALL just KNOW you can.

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen
Mother to Elizabeth 19, Andrew 17, Abigail 14 & Evelyn 12

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the world. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
. . . . . . .

allisonintx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to allisonintx For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (06-05-2012), Damselfly (06-05-2012), dukeofhazzard (06-06-2012), dulce de leche (06-13-2012), J3K (06-06-2012), ReadingMommy (06-05-2012), StoryOfGrace (06-06-2012), TenderLovingWillow (06-05-2012), wallflowermama (06-13-2012), Zooey (06-06-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #15
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

"You are on the path...exactly where you are meant to be."

BarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonintx View Post
It's easier to be "outed" when you have older kids

I kept quiet when they were small, because you can't spank a 3yo out of being 3 no matter how much relatives ALL just KNOW you can.
Thank you. I know those things in theory, but it helps so much to see the words written out sometimes!

It's nice to think that I'll probably be more comfortable being more vocal about our parenting as my children get older

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any views or opinions presented in the above posts are solely those of BarefootBetsy, the GCM member, and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of anyone else in the entire world.
BarefootBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BarefootBetsy For This Useful Post:
StoryOfGrace (06-06-2012), wallflowermama (06-13-2012)