Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
OrangeHope
Rose Bouquet

OrangeHope has much to be proud ofOrangeHope has much to be proud ofOrangeHope has much to be proud ofOrangeHope has much to be proud ofOrangeHope has much to be proud ofOrangeHope has much to be proud ofOrangeHope has much to be proud ofOrangeHope has much to be proud ofOrangeHope has much to be proud ofOrangeHope has much to be proud ofOrangeHope has much to be proud of
Default Thinking of writing a letter to my pastor

I have known for a while now that our church is pro spanking but this is the first sermon that I have heard our pastor mention spanking.
I just looked at their website and today's video of the sermon isn't up yet so I can't address you guys to his exact words and I'm pretty tired right now but the pastor said something along the lines of:"...it's like spanking, some people say 'Oh, I'll never spank my child!' but you got to stand firm."
I'm not too sure if he said "but you got to stand firm." like I said I'm so tired right now and I'll be looking for the video when they put it online but it was pretty obvious he's encouraging parents to spank.

So I'm thinking of writing him a letter explaining to him why I don't think spanking is biblical, I'll be using Crystals website to guide me but I'm wondering what you guys think I should write in my letter?
And baby girl arriving March 2016
OrangeHope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OrangeHope For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (06-10-2012), CelticJourney (06-16-2012), dulce de leche (06-11-2012), SewingGreenMama (06-11-2012), Zooey (06-11-2012)
The Following 3 Users Say they are praying for OrangeHope:
dulce de leche (06-11-2012), Rugayatu (06-11-2012), Zooey (06-11-2012)
Old 06-10-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of writing a letter to my pastor

It depends on exactly what he said, exactly what you feel are the problems with it, and exactly what topic you want to address.

Like, if he just said, "spanking's cool" then I'd probably roll my eyes, sputter a lot, complain a bunch to DH, and let it go.

But if he said, "As Christians you *must* spank", then I would be addressing it. You know?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kiara.I For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (06-10-2012), dulce de leche (06-11-2012), OrangeHope (06-11-2012), Zooey (06-11-2012)
Old 06-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

if he did make a statement to that effect I might challenge him based on the idea that God could have stood firm about man and sin but instead he sacrificed himself to extend us grace--knowing that we couldn't handle the burden ourselves
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (06-10-2012), dulce de leche (06-11-2012), Elyse221 (06-12-2012), OrangeHope (06-11-2012), SewingGreenMama (06-11-2012), Zooey (06-11-2012)
Old 06-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #4
Shutterbug
Rose Bush

Shutterbug is a name known to allShutterbug is a name known to allShutterbug is a name known to allShutterbug is a name known to allShutterbug is a name known to allShutterbug is a name known to allShutterbug is a name known to all

*subbing because I'm going through a similar issue*

Sent from my mobile device. Forgive me for typos!
Old 06-11-2012, 02:48 AM   #5
Zooey
Rose Trellis

Zooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove View Post
if he did make a statement to that effect I might challenge him based on the idea that God could have stood firm about man and sin but instead he sacrificed himself to extend us grace--knowing that we couldn't handle the burden ourselves
What Crystal said.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:42 AM   #6
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

I am subbing because I am wrestling with something similar.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:41 AM   #7
dulce de leche
Climbing Rose

dulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond repute

We faced that same situation a few years ago and wrote to our pastor. Although he still believes that spanking is biblical, his response was very gracious and it sparked my blog. This is the letter that we sent.

13 years with Mi Amado
Dd ~ 1/04
Ds ~ 1/06
Dd ~ 6/08
Dd ~ 7/10
dulce de leche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dulce de leche For This Useful Post:
Hermana Linda (06-11-2012), OrangeHope (06-11-2012), Shutterbug (06-11-2012), Zooey (06-11-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #8
OrangeHope
Rose Bouquet

OrangeHope has much to be proud ofOrangeHope has much to be proud ofOrangeHope has much to be proud ofOrangeHope has much to be proud ofOrangeHope has much to be proud ofOrangeHope has much to be proud ofOrangeHope has much to be proud ofOrangeHope has much to be proud ofOrangeHope has much to be proud ofOrangeHope has much to be proud ofOrangeHope has much to be proud of

Thanks ladies!! I just checked their website and the sermon is up so I'm wondering if I'm allowed to post a link to the video?
Old 06-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #9
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Can you make it a non-clickable link? If it's a life link, I will edit it and make it not live (clickable). Post it in the advanced box and uncheck the box which says, "Parse links."

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:26 AM   #10
ruhama
Deactivated

Jumping off the hot tin roof.

ruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond repute

Link!
ruhama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #11
OrangeHope
Rose Bouquet

O.k here it is I hope I am posting this alright...

I broke the link up.

The spanking part is very short so if you'd like forward it to around 52 minute mark.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #12
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute

It's such a short comment, I'm not sure I'd bother addressing it.

If you wanted to, you might want to focus on the, "Hey, I've studied the scriptures and what I see there is liberty to parent without spanking (since the liberty thing is his topic) and the Proverbs are not straight-up commandments. So please, consider that you have thoughtful Christian parents in your audience who may have studied the scriptures carefully and come to a different conclusion about spanking."
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kiara.I For This Useful Post:
Llee (06-18-2012), OrangeHope (06-12-2012), Zooey (06-13-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 03:38 PM   #13
OrangeHope
Rose Bouquet

Thanks Kiara.I! I did think of letting it go since it was such a short comment but our church is a VERY big church and lots of parents were listening to this sermon and probably those who didn't spank before might consider starting since according to the pastor it's biblical to do so
Old 06-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #14
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Well the thing is, he's probably not going to preach a retraction. So, what are you hoping to accomplish? It can't be unsaid. He's not going to track down everyone there and tell them actually he was mistaken. You'd be lucky if he *admits* he was mistaken, frankly.

Mostly, I expect, what you want to accomplish is that he stops, thinks about it, checks his ideas, and then *in the future* maybe doesn't say that. But for this time? There's nothing to be done about it.

So whatever you decide to do, remember that you are trying to win him over so that next time doesn't happen. Going in with guns blazing to tell him he's wrong probably won't accomplish that, you know? Keep your end view in mind.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kiara.I For This Useful Post:
Hermana Linda (06-12-2012), rjy9343 (06-13-2012)