Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Hobbies and Crafts *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Hobbies and Crafts *Public* The place to talk about crafts, sewing, crocheting, scrapbooking, etc.
A public forum.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:26 AM   #1
TraceMama
Rose Garden

TraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default How long does it take you to fall in LOVE...?

With your new craft of choice?

Do you have to reach a certain skill level first or do you know right away if you're in love?

Any craft/hobby that slowly worked its magic on you and now you're head over heels?

Curious to see what you all say.

I am determined to be invincible until He has finished His purpose in me.
TraceMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:39 AM   #2
Marrae
Moderator in Tweens & Teens, Teens & Beyond, the Cookbook, Let's Talk, Drawing Closer, and Bible Study
I support GCM!

The presence of the Holy Spirit is the keystone of all our hopes

Marrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long does it take you to fall in LOVE...?

1. Generally it is love at first sight.

2. Then, breathless, I read up all about it and research it thoroughly.

3. I spend ages choosing the best, most suitable materials and until they arrive.

4. I open all the packages and touch all the lovely things.

5. The next day I realise that this is quite difficult and may actually be more stressful than relaxing for me.

6. I put everything back into the biggest box or envelope and shove in a dark corner and try to forget it.
But, I am learning from experience and usually cop out half-way through point 3 above. I just put them into the cart now.

Sorry, this is not what you are really looking for but it is what I am like. for others. I will not get sucked in to anything new though.

wife (dh A, *~ 33 ~ * years) mother (dd G 29, ds D 25)

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him,
who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8 : 28

Marrae is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Marrae For This Useful Post:
AdrienneQW (05-13-2011), Blue Savannah (04-26-2011), domesticzookeeper (05-13-2011), gardenfreshmama (04-27-2011), RubySlippers (04-26-2011), TraceMama (04-26-2011)
Old 04-26-2011, 11:17 AM   #3
allisonintx
Rose Garden

Some Cal/Mag will probably fix that.

allisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond repute

I wanted to knit more than I wanted it to be relaxing. It is the perfect combination of sensory input, manipulatives and brain work....the very best of puzzles.

Now, 19mos later, it IS relaxing when I'm knitting on something that is easy, challenging and a little scary when it's something new.

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen
Mother to Elizabeth 19, Andrew 17, Abigail 14 & Evelyn 12

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the world. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
. . . . . . .

allisonintx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allisonintx For This Useful Post:
Naked Camper (04-26-2011), TraceMama (04-26-2011)
Old 04-26-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
Two Little Birds
Deactivated

"Knitting is Mama's job"

Location: Where the wind blows, the snow flies and mere mortals can't breathe
Two Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonintx View Post
I wanted to knit more than I wanted it to be relaxing. It is the perfect combination of sensory input, manipulatives and brain work....the very best of puzzles.

Now, 19mos later, it IS relaxing when I'm knitting on something that is easy, challenging and a little scary when it's something new.
And sometimes I have to put said scary thing down and pick up something easier.
Two Little Birds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Two Little Birds For This Useful Post:
TraceMama (04-26-2011)
Old 04-26-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
AnotherNamedKate
Climbing Rose

AnotherNamedKate has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherNamedKate has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherNamedKate has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherNamedKate has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherNamedKate has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherNamedKate has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherNamedKate has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherNamedKate has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherNamedKate has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherNamedKate has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherNamedKate has a reputation beyond repute

It comes in waves for me. At first, there's probably the "lust" period when it's all new and exciting. Then it gets boring. I don't really fall in love until I've become competent enough to all least mater all the basic skills and have a decent understanding of the more difficult ones. This has been the case for both sewing and knitting.

Some thing I've never falling in love with. Although I love to draw and sketch things in charcoal, pen, and pastels, I never did love painting, though I tried again and again. I even took classes. I got fairly good... but still no love for painting.

ENTJ
AnotherNamedKate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AnotherNamedKate For This Useful Post:
RubySlippers (04-26-2011), TraceMama (04-26-2011)
Old 04-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #6
wisdomjourney

Ha! This question makes me think of my sister's comment when I mentioned waldorf homeschooling, with a basic description of it. Her comment, "Okay, starting now, I want you to write down all the new hobbies you pick up this year, while you're learning." I had never really thought about it, but really...?

I had to write down needle felting, knitting, embroidery, sewing, and watercolor. Right then. I suppose she's right--I am interested in almost everything! Sticking with something is the most difficult part for me. I can usually master something pretty quickly, not to an expert level, but enough to get what I want out of it, and then... well, I admit sometimes I put it aside for a loooooooooong time. In my defense, I generally pick it up again sometime in the future. An example: I wanted several needle felted dolls for my DC's schoolroom. So I researched it, purchased bags of dyed wool, and made the dolls I wanted. I haven't felted again since (that was for Christmas), but I will.

Right now I am finding that knitting and sewing are keeping me fascinated, since I can't figure them out as easily--they're whole realms of possibilities, KWIM?

Now that I read over this, maybe it doesn't answer your question at all.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
RubySlippers (04-26-2011), TraceMama (04-26-2011), Two Little Birds (04-26-2011)
Old 04-26-2011, 02:53 PM   #7
UltraMother
Rose Garden

UltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond repute

I try anything that interests me, but I usually know pretty quickly whether I like it or not. I also focus on one main hobby at a time, but keep materials for the others for when I come back to them. Right now I am unusually spread out, working on quilting, knitting, and spinning here and there during my days.

Babies-they just grow on you.
UltraMother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UltraMother For This Useful Post:
TraceMama (04-26-2011)
Old 04-26-2011, 02:55 PM   #8
allisonintx
Rose Garden

Some Cal/Mag will probably fix that.

allisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond repute

oh, spinning, it took me about a breath to fall in love with spinning. Getting the time to do it is tricky especially if I want to spin singles, because I want them to be done in a single session which means I need a whole day to spin at a chunk.

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen
Mother to Elizabeth 19, Andrew 17, Abigail 14 & Evelyn 12

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the world. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
. . . . . . .

allisonintx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to allisonintx For This Useful Post:
TraceMama (04-26-2011)
Old 04-27-2011, 11:40 AM   #9
gardenfreshmama
Rose Garden

Through my daughter's eyes...

gardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrae View Post
1. Generally it is love at first sight.

2. Then, breathless, I read up all about it and research it thoroughly.

3. I spend ages choosing the best, most suitable materials and until they arrive.

4. I open all the packages and touch all the lovely things.

5. The next day I realise that this is quite difficult and may actually be more stressful than relaxing for me.

6. I put everything back into the biggest box or envelope and shove in a dark corner and try to forget it.
But, I am learning from experience and usually cop out half-way through point 3 above. I just put them into the cart now.

Sorry, this is not what you are really looking for but it is what I am like. for others. I will not get sucked in to anything new though.
This is SOOOO me. I actually my coffee when I read it. Haha!

Knitting is the one thing I have actually kept up with and slowly am getting better and better. I would say I am much morel in love with knitting now that I'm better than I was at first. So maybe for me it is lust at first sight (sewing, spinning, soap-making, etc etc) but true love grows slowly, withstanding the test of time

I'm an INFP and I'm going to save the world! Well... maybe tomorrow. After I get some alone time and a cup of coffee... or maybe after ANNABEL (6.25), ASHER (3.5), and EMMELINE (1) are in school... once DEREK gets his culinary school loans paid off...
gardenfreshmama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gardenfreshmama For This Useful Post:
TraceMama (04-27-2011)
Old 04-27-2011, 01:09 PM   #10
Marielle
Rose Garden

Marielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond repute

Marrae you beat me too it. I don't fall in love with stuff slowly it's more of an obsessive cycle of new love that quickly dissipates with my ADD. However some things stick around and I cycle between them. So I always have a ton of WIP hanging around for that urge to do X, Y or Z. It's quite comical in that I tend to be quite the obsessive crafter yet the least prolific.

BTW Tracey I'm working on that reply just need a chance without the kids being on top of me (like right now).

cook, sew, knit, crochet, repeat - my blog http://www.maricucu.blogspot.com

Married to T for 13 years and watching over the herd:
I 10.5 yo
R 8.25 yo
N 5.5 yo
M 3.75 yo

“Never put off till tomorrow what may be done day after tomorrow just as well.”

-Mark Twain
Marielle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marielle For This Useful Post:
crunchymum (05-25-2011), TraceMama (04-27-2011)
Old 04-29-2011, 05:46 AM   #11
curlymopmom
Deactivated

curlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond repute

The only craft I can do is knit. I have wanted to learn to knit for as long as I can remember. I finally taught myself within this last year. It was love at first stitch.
curlymopmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to curlymopmom For This Useful Post:
TraceMama (04-29-2011)
Old 05-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #12
Wonder Woman
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Yep. I'm a 3.

Wonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond repute

needle tatting, believe it or not - that one took a while to grow on me And while I still love it, I rarely do it - I have enough doilies for my home, and neither my husband nor my son are real big into lace trim on their clothes
Knitting was a slow start for me too, even though I really wanted to do it At first i just made scarves and washcloths, and then it kind of exploded for me after a while
Wonder Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wonder Woman For This Useful Post:
TraceMama (05-02-2011)
Old 05-12-2011, 10:32 PM   #13
Angelpink
Seedling Rose

Angelpink is on a distinguished road

For me it only takes a few minutes!
Angelpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:59 AM   #14
1chick2sticks

most things i pick upon fairly quickly and i can tell right away if i love it or not. i have never really fell in love with sewing. i wish i would. i tend to obsess over things, crafts included.

tatting is on my to-learn list. it seems like a lost art.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:16 AM   #15
Wonder Woman
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Yep. I'm a 3.

Wonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond repute

http://intatters.com is a great resource for tatters - needle and shuttle both
Wonder Woman is offline   Reply With Quote