Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Hobbies and Crafts *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Hobbies and Crafts *Public* The place to talk about crafts, sewing, crocheting, scrapbooking, etc.
A public forum.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
WildOlive

Default Should I dump without guilt, or is there something crafty I can do w/ these?

A year ago a friend gave me a TON of baby/toddler clothing her son had outgrown. The stuff that looked decent I took over to the orphanage, but there is still a boxful of stuff that is rather stained and/or just plain ugly. The thrift store doesn't want this stuff, trust me. I HAVE to get it out of my house like 6 months ago. I feel guilty throwing it out but since it's baby sizes, the pieces aren't really big enough to use as patchwork or strips for a rug or anything. *Is* there anything crafty I can do with it?

Part of the reason I feel guilty dumping it is b/c she expected me to donate it ALL to the orphanage. I felt like I couldn't tell her the stuff was too nasty.

Is there anything I can make with it besides rags?
Old 01-28-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I dump without guilt, or is there something crafty I can do w/ these?

If you do applique you could probably find non-stained pieces that were big enough to use. Or pieces for patchwork-type stuffed animals? Or pieces to make quiet books out of (though that's the same as applique, mostly.) And you could donate those to the orphanage, if you wanted.

HOWEVER. If you will not likely use it for those purposes, or if they'll become a "oh, I really should get to that..." project that will cause you guilt, then DUMP IT!
Kiara.I is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiara.I For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #3
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

Bar/Bat Mitzvah picture with husband Michael.

Location: Within sight and earshot of the Disneyland fireworks
Heather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I dump without guilt, or is there something crafty I can do w/ these?

Could you not donate them anyway? Let the orphanage know these are stained and great for days when kids want to play and get real dirty? Then let THEM toss them if they want

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Taylor Jordan11/15/04 SkyeDakota10/12/05
Life is a pile of good things & bad things The good things don't always soften the bad things but the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things
Heather Micaela is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Heather Micaela For This Useful Post:
prov31craftymom (01-28-2011)
Old 01-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
blessedwithboys
Rose Garden

blessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond repute

I would take them to your local non-profit thrift store. Ours gets paid by the pound for clothing that they sell to be made into rags. Do not feel guilty. It would be ridiculous to pay to haul rag-quality clothing all the way to Africa when there is plenty of good clothing that people will donate to take if you go again.
blessedwithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:56 PM   #5
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

Heather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post
I would take them to your local non-profit thrift store. Ours gets paid by the pound for clothing that they sell to be made into rags. Do not feel guilty. It would be ridiculous to pay to haul rag-quality clothing all the way to Africa when there is plenty of good clothing that people will donate to take if you go again.
I must have missed something the orphanage sounded local to me

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Life is a pile of good things & bad things The good things don't always soften the bad things but the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things
Old 01-28-2011, 05:50 PM   #6
WildOlive

No, it was the orphanage in Ethiopia, last year when we went to pick up Isaiah. I'm a firm believer in giving high quality donations, and we maxed out our luggage allotment with high quality donations, so I kept back the worst stuff. It was really important to me to take nice things over for the kids, they have so little, it was one way to let them know someone cares and thinks they are special.

Our thrift store has repeatedly posted announcements in the paper asking people not to give them un-sale-able items, so I don't think they collect them for rags.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:10 PM   #7
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

OK I understand now. You know, you may want to donate them to a preschool as spare clothes or just to a friend or church for that reason. Sometimes I appreciate having stained clothes to go for when I know the day will be messy. Or if there are parts that are cleaner and you have the skill a small quilt might be nice. However I would feel NO guilt just turning them into rags.

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Old 01-28-2011, 06:58 PM   #8
expatmom
Rose Garden

expatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond repute

If you have any animal rescue type places, they will often take things that are in poorer condition as bedding.

Also, I seem to recall you are Mennonite. Do you have an active MCC nearby? They might do things like rag rugs or whatnot. It might be worth calling them (not the thrift store but the charity).
Old 01-28-2011, 07:17 PM   #9
JustMandy
Deactivated

Location: Among the tall straight pines of the coastal plain.
JustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond repute

If they are really junky, just dump them. It is okay to throw things away that really are trash.
JustMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #10
Marsha
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Marsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond repute

I'd dump 'em. That's my vote.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #11
Autumn
Deactivated

Autumn has a reputation beyond reputeAutumn has a reputation beyond reputeAutumn has a reputation beyond reputeAutumn has a reputation beyond reputeAutumn has a reputation beyond reputeAutumn has a reputation beyond reputeAutumn has a reputation beyond reputeAutumn has a reputation beyond reputeAutumn has a reputation beyond reputeAutumn has a reputation beyond reputeAutumn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMandy View Post
If they are really junky, just dump them. It is okay to throw things away that really are trash.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:11 PM   #12
Starfox
Deactivated

Ain't nobody got time for perfection!

Starfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond repute

Call the recycling center before you trash them. Our recycling center just announced that they now take fabric for recycling.

But yeah, get rid of it. I always think of the show "hoarders" and how the people are saving things for "future projects". (That always helps me dump stuff!)
Starfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:50 PM   #13
Marielle
Rose Garden

Marielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond repute

I would go the bedding for animals or recycling route. although my kids had a beanbag that was going on in age so in order to revive it I added the old socks and shredded white undershirts from our family's laundry that were too old/stained for any other use. Definitely heavier than foam beans but still useful.

cook, sew, knit, crochet, repeat - my blog http://www.maricucu.blogspot.com

Married to T for 13 years and watching over the herd:
I 10.5 yo
R 8.25 yo
N 5.5 yo
M 3.75 yo

“Never put off till tomorrow what may be done day after tomorrow just as well.”

-Mark Twain
Marielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:57 PM   #14
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

Things we've done with stained torn outgrown clothes include:
bean bags/hacky sacks/ juggling balls
goodie bags for kids parties
doll blankets
doll slings
family cloth
I also tried a rag rug but it didn't turn out as I had hoped.
drawstring bags for my son's marble collection
busy bags for the car
sensory bags (my kids loved these. You fill them with different feeling sounding or smelling items)
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote