Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:09 PM   #31
jenny_islander
Rose Trellis

jenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet: how important is it?

I love the Internet for younger students mostly because of Starfall. For $35 per year I get a self-paced reading and math classroom that--well, it meant that when my little perfectionist was getting frustrated, she yelled at the computer, not at me! And the lessons Starfall teaches tend to stick. My 10- and 8-year-old learned how to read from Starfall. We'll see how my super active 4-year-old takes to it when he is finally mature enough to use a mouse as a mouse instead of a missile.

For older students, the Internet is handy for illustrative purposes IME. I read about the fine garments of Helen in The Iliad, then I pull up photos of cloth made from byssus to show the girls what she might have been wearing. I read Seabird, I can play a sea chanty from the same century in the background. That kind of thing. It's also good for historical maps. So far you could get the same info from books and CDs. However, we did something really awesome a few weeks ago. We were rereading The Lost Wreck of the Isis, which is about the 1988-89 expedition led by Bob Ballard that pioneered underwater archaeology using the Jason ROV. (The Titanic expedition was awesome, but more about proof of concept IMO.) There was a chapter about the then-pretty-shiny technique of renting time on a satellite so that people in selected locations could talk to the crew on the phone and watch what they were doing on live TV. I detoured from discussion of Imperial Roman culture to talk about how much worldwide communication has changed just in my adult lifetime. I showed them that Ballard now has a website. Lo and behold, live streaming video from an ongoing expedition in the Gulf of Mexico was right on the front page. So was an ask box. So I typed in a question about how shipboard communications had changed since the '80s, clicked Send . . . AND NOT 10 MINUTES LATER I HEARD BOB BALLARD HIMSELF ANSWER MY QUESTION LIVE IN FRONT OF MILLIONS.

My girls had eyes the size of golf balls. It was awesome.
Wife to John, December 18, 1999 ~ Mother to Sophia, March 13, 2004 ~ Mother to Eva, June 10, 2006 ~ Mother to Matthew, December 21, 2009 ~ Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will lift me up.

Last edited by jenny_islander; 07-22-2014 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Bracketitis.
jenny_islander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jenny_islander For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (07-22-2014), gerberadaisy (07-22-2014), Llee (07-22-2014), melliethepooh (07-22-2014), saturnfire16 (07-22-2014), teamommy (07-22-2014), The Tickle Momster (07-22-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 09:18 PM   #32
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by melliethepooh View Post
In the OP I explained that the question at hand is whether spending an extra $60/month on real internet over our mobile data is worth it.
Lol duh ignore
me
Old 07-24-2014, 07:00 AM   #33
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Im in the "whatever works for your child and family" camp But have found my older kids prefer online instruction (middle and high school)!

However I wondered if you've considered your phones as hot spots? My dh and dd have phones that turns into a hot spot. We have unlimited talk text and data through cricket (no contract)! I think it's $35 a month each phone.

It was nice for when we were on the road and I desperately want to download a new kindle book and my kids loved having their iPods and iPads able to access Netflix

I ready to get a new phone and will make sure it becomes a hot spot

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
melliethepooh (07-24-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 07:30 AM   #34
zak
Administrator

Friend of the Fellowship

zak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond repute

Posting BLIND:

We are UNABLE to get real internet at our home. IT IS AWFUL. First world problems and all but it truly truly makes life very stressful for me.

We have a HotSpot from AT&T and our cell phones are with AT&T. It's expensive as all get out and VERY limited data (30GB per month - we were at 20GB per month for a while but the new Family plans made it cheaper for us to get 30 over 20!).

I HATE it. My kids get virtually ZERO internet access (no playing, no schooling, nada) until the end of our billing cycle when we can "use up" what overage we may have of the 30 GBs.

I am trying to homeschool and have business to run and it's very very stressful not to have all the time I need to perfect my marketing/website.

Bringing my laptop to the library is awful - because kids.

At least we are all healthy, right? I seriously hate to complain about something so dumb. But it stinks.

---------- Post added at 10:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 AM ----------

In short: I would GLADLY pay $60 a month for internet.

Dedicated GCMer since 2003

Administrator and Moderating Cradled, Babes, Breastfeeding, Beautiful Mothers and Circumcision
zak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zak For This Useful Post:
deena (07-25-2014), melliethepooh (07-24-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 07:43 AM   #35
melliethepooh
Rose Garden

Dinosaurs are people too

melliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond repute

we have a hotspot with Cricket too, but it's unimpressive on a good day I have to be pretty desperate to use it.
melliethepooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:49 AM   #36
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Ugh! So sorry to hear that. I'm vowing to be grateful for my internet after this thread

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
deena (07-25-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 11:25 AM   #37
zak
Administrator

Friend of the Fellowship

zak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond repute

Cricket. Jodi, you may have given me hope!!

Dedicated GCMer since 2003

Administrator and Moderating Cradled, Babes, Breastfeeding, Beautiful Mothers and Circumcision
zak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zak For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (07-24-2014)
Old 07-25-2014, 06:20 AM   #38
momzilla76
Seedling Rose

Today is a gift that is why it is called the present

momzilla76 will become famous soon enoughmomzilla76 will become famous soon enough

Other than a few stretches where I was printing off my worksheet for the year from the net is not a have-to. We have satellite with limited usage allowance so we have to be careful with videos and music. Honestly we could live without it.
I guess the financial answer is how bad do you need the money the internet will cost?
ds 10
ds 9
ds 7
ds 5

Last edited by momzilla76; 07-25-2014 at 06:22 AM. Reason: spelling
momzilla76 is offline   Reply With Quote