Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post] > Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public* A public forum.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:56 PM   #1
HummusDip

Default Post 3 recipes, please!

Let's all post 3 vegetarian/vegan recipes. I need some ideas. I'll post mine tonight.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:51 AM   #2
Leen
Deactivated

Leen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post 3 recipes, please!

I'll post four. I went to find some on my computer and I found these...so I thought I'd just include them all. One isn't vegan (has cheese) and one can be vegan or veg. I got the lentil one from the Joy of Cooking's veg cookbook, the Channa Masala from this website, the black bean soup is my own creation, and the risotto is from the packaging on some sundried tomatoes I bought a while back.

Sesame Stir-Fried Lentils and Vegetables

• 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
  • 1 cup diagonally sliced peeled carrots (or small baby carrots)
  • 2 cups broccoli florets
  • 1 cup halved pattypan squash (or yellow squash, cut into rounds)
  • 1 cup trimmed snow peas
  • 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
  • ½ cup of ½-inch pieces of red bell peppers
  • 1 Tbsp finely chopped garlic
  • 1 Tbsp finely chopped, peeled, fresh ginger
  • Ό tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
  • 3 cups cooked brown or green lentils (about 1 cup dried)
  • ½ cup thinly sliced scallions
  • 3 Tbsp light or dark soy sauce
  • 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
Toast sesame seeds in a small skillet over medium heat for about 1 minute. Set aside. Place carrots, broccoli, squash, and snow peas in a vegetable steaming basket over boiling water. Cover and steam until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Rinse with cool water to stop the cooking. Set aside.

Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet. Add red bell peppers and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes. Add garlic and ginger, and red pepper flakes (if desired). Cook, stirring, until sizzling, about 30 seconds. Add the steamed vegetables, along with the cooked lentils, the scallions, the soy sauce, and the sesame oil. Cook, stirring, just until heated through, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle with the toasted sesame seeds, and serve hot.

I serve this with white rice, although you could do brown too, or no rice, since the lentils are kind of starchy.

Channa Masala

* 2 T olive oil
* about 1 tsp each of Cumin seeds and Onion seeds
* 2 16-oz cans of chickpeas rinsed in a colander
* 1 16-oz can of chopped tomatoes
* 1 large onion, chopped into long thin strips
* 3 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped into bite-sized chunks
* 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
* 1-2 T minced ginger
* 1 minced pepper (I usually use jalapeno or serrano, depending on how spicy I want it)
* 2 teaspoons of salt
* 2 teaspoons of ground coriander
* 2 teaspoons of garam masala
* 1.5 teaspoons of haldi (turmeric)
* water
* fresh cilantro, chopped

Heat the oil in the pot until hot. Add the onion and cumin seeds and watch them pop and fizzle for around 20 seconds. Then add the chopped onions and fry until they are lightly browned. Then add the ginger, garlic and chili. Stir fry on medium heat.

Then add the can of chopped tomato and stir-fry for about 5 mins on medium-to-high heat until the oil starts to separate from the onion/tomato mixture - and then add the salt, coriander, garam masala, and turmeric. Stir it all thoroughly on medium flame.

Then add the chunks of potato - stir until well coated in spices. Then add around 3 smallish glasses of water [Leen's note: I usually just eyeball this, so I can't give you an exact amount] into the pot - and put the lid on and bring to boil. Let it simmer on a very low flame for around 20 mins with the lid on. This will soften the potato.

After about 20 mins - check to see that the potato chunks are soft - and then add the drained (already-boiled) chickpeas. Stir it all up - and add another small glass of water to the pot. Bring to a fierce boil and then turn the flame down to simmer the pot for a while - with the lid partially on.

After about a further 15 mins of simmering - add some freshly chopped fresh cilantro and stir it all in. Keep it simmering for about 10 mins more. After that - turn off the heat - put the lid on tight - and let it it stand for around 15 mins while you make some basmati rice - or warm some pita bread etc.

Black Bean Soup
• olive oil — enough to cover bottom of soup pot
• 1 medium yellow onion, diced
• 4-5 garlic cloves, minced (more or less to taste)
• 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
• 4 medium size carrots, peeled and chopped into rounds
• 2 tsp cumin
• 1 tsp oregano
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1 cup frozen or one can of corn
• 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
• 1 can diced tomatoes in juice
• 32 oz (2 cans, one carton) vegetable broth
• 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
• 1/2 tsp black pepper (I think I usually add more of the cayenne and black pepper, but I don’t measure, plus, we like things spicy, so I tend to add more than not)

for garnishing:
• chopped green onions
• chopped cilantro
• grated cheddar

Heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, bell pepper, carrot, cumin, oregano, and salt. Saute over medium heat until onions start to caramelize and brown and carrots are soft, about 10 mins.

Add all other ingredients, bring to a boil, and let simmer until hot. Adjust spices to taste, adding more if desired.

Serve hot, and top with scallions, cilantro, and cheese.

Sundried Tomato Risotto
* 3 cups stock or broth
* 3 cups water
* 3 T olive oil
* 1 onion, chopped
* 2 cloves garlic
* 1 cup risotto
* 1/2 cup oil-packed sun dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
* 1 1/4 t salt
* 1/4 t pepper
* 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
* 1 T fresh parsley, chopped
* 1/4 cup grated parmesan

Combine three cups broth with three cups of water, set aside. Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, and saute until translucent, about five minutes. Add risotto and continue to saute for about two minutes, until rice is crackling and brown. Add 1 cup of liquid, salt, and pepper, stirring constantly until liquid is absorbed. Add the sundried tomatoes, basil, and parsley and continue adding the liquid 1 cup at a time until it has all been absorbed, stirring constantly. The risotto should be tender and slightly firm in the center with a creamy sauce. Stir in parmesan cheese and serve.

This one can get kind of salty, so definitely watch that. I add less than the recommended amount and still find it too salty. I think it also depends heavily on the stock/broth you use.
Leen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:39 AM   #3
Zipporah
Deactivated

Formerly NightingaleQueenofCrocs

Zipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud of

(and )
Zipporah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
HummusDip

Those sound great!! I still need to post mine, I've been so busy though!
Old 07-21-2009, 08:56 AM   #5
Aisling
Deactivated

Even artichokes have hearts!

Aisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond repute

can we post ovo-lacto recipes? I have quite a few good ones!
Aisling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:16 AM   #6
Cat
Rose Garden

Cat has disabled reputation

(I'm bored with everything I make.)

I say yes, post ovo-lacto. As a vegan, I can substitute pretty much anything and it works.

Married to J

Mama to A born January 2010

and a kitty bear Sylvia
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:28 AM   #7
Apple-Saucy
Deactivated

Apple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond repute

bean "stew" ? I dunno what to call this one LOL

preheat oven to 400deg F

chunked onion (bite sized chunks) equal to 2 cups
2-3 cloves garlic minced
2 cups grape tomatoes cut in half
salt and Pepper
enough olive oil to coat veggies.
And a shake or 3 of dried Italian herbs.

Roast veggies on a cookie sheet/shallow baking pan for 30 minutes at 400deg F.

On top of the stove

Heat a skillet with about 1tablespoon olive oil in it Pour 2 cans of drained white beans (or 2.5-3cups cooked white beans) and saute around a bit to heat add 1-2 cups veggie stock heat through dump roasted veggies into pan along with 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese. stir to combine. Serve with bread/Garlic Toast and top with more Parm if wanted.

zucchini bake

1 pound sausage style veggie crumbles
2-4 zucchini (depending on size and how much you want) sliced
1 large red bell pepper seeded and chopped
1 TB chopped green chillis
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 can diced tomatoes

saute peppers an onions together on the stove until just starting to soften. Toss all ingredients together into a glass baking dish bake covered for 35-45minutes or until zucchini is fork tender. Top with cheese if desired and bake uncovered 5-10minutes until cheese is bubbly

Last edited by Apple-Saucy; 07-21-2009 at 09:30 AM.
Apple-Saucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:58 AM   #8
Mama Calidad

Vegan Chorizo Bean Soup
Yep, vegan is the *only* way I'll touch chorizo. LOL

1 pkg soy chorizo
1 onion, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
a cup or two of beans - black or pinto
a can of corn, drained
a can of tomato sauce
Creole seasoning, to taste
Cilantro

Saute "chorizo", onion, and bell pepper. Season. Dump in beans, corn, tomato sauce and water - to the point that the soup is a bit thinner than you want it in the end. Simmer. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.

BLT Sandwiches
Not that this requires a recipe, but I had never thought about it before.

Toast bread. Add lettuce and sliced tomatoes. Spread mayo and sprinkle with imitation bacon bits.

Taco Salad
This is one of my kids favorites. It's vegetarian, but easily altered to vegan. Just leave out the * items.

Lettuce
Bell Pepper
Corn - either thawed or drained
Pinto beans - drained and rinsed
Avocado
Salsa - I use Red Gold's diced tomatoes "Mexican Fiesta".
Corn chips
*Cheddar cheese
*Ranch dressing, blue cheese dressing or sour cream

Toss. Yes, this is a "Laura recipe". Just throw the stuff together. LOL
Old 07-21-2009, 12:29 PM   #9
Cat
Rose Garden

We make a version of the taco salad or sometimes a Frito Pie.

We make BLTs with vegan bacon. It's delicious!

Married to J

and a kitty bear Sylvia
Old 07-21-2009, 02:17 PM   #10
momofmany
Climbing Rose

momofmany is a glorious beacon of lightmomofmany is a glorious beacon of lightmomofmany is a glorious beacon of lightmomofmany is a glorious beacon of lightmomofmany is a glorious beacon of lightmomofmany is a glorious beacon of light

We do the BLT's with the vegan bacon and use guacamole instead of the mayo.

Wife to an uncommon man living a common life
Mama to five angels- Four on earth and one in Heaven
Also one furbaby "Cats don't have owners, they have staff!"

Before you talk-listen
Before you react-think
Before you spend-earn
Before you criticise-wait
Before you pray-forgive
Before you quit-try

Ernest Hemingway
momofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:29 PM   #11
allisonintx
Rose Garden

Some Cal/Mag will probably fix that.

allisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond repute

Veggie Fried Rice

2 C. rice steamed or boiled ( I don't like brown rice for this b/c it is gooey)
2-3T miso paste
1T rice wine vinegar
1-3T oil of your choice (sesame is, naturally, best for stir fry )
1 small onion chopped fine
2 chopped squash
1-2 chopped carrots
3 chopped celery stalks
one package broccoli slaw
1C edamame beans (out of the shell!) or 1pkg snow peas (peas of any kind will work)
1/2 c. almonds (slivers/slices or chopped)
1 Egg if you're ovo/lacto (omit otherwise)

In a large skillet, cook the onion, squash carrots and celery until the onions are clear and tender (like mirepoix but with added squash, yum, smells divine)
Add miso paste generously
Add rice and fry it up until it's the consistency that you like
Add edamame and broccoli slaw, and toss around.
Turn off heat, put a lid on it and walk away for about 10-15 minutes
Scramble egg and incorporate (or not as you wish)
Place in serving bowl, Top with almonds

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen
Mother to Elizabeth 19, Andrew 17, Abigail 14 & Evelyn 12

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the world. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
. . . . . . .

allisonintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:14 PM   #12
NCmom

These are very simple recipes that are also gluten free.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal
I prepare a 1/4 cup of dry GF oatmeal. While it's good and hot, I mix in a spoonful of The Peanut Butter Company's "Dark Chocolate Dreams" peanut butter. I then add a 1/4 cup of walnuts and a 1/4 cup of dried cranberries and stir it up. Yum.

For a quick breakfast on the go, I mix equal parts:
Almonds
Raisins (or dried fruit of choice)
and Perky's Nutty Flax cereal

Tostadas
I use GF corn tostadas and top them with black and refried beans, an entire avacado, and salsa. If you have non-dairy sour cream, you could toss a little on. I don't do a lot of substitures like veggie cheese, etc, because they still tend to have milk in them in some way. You could also throw on lettuce, or whatever else you want.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:32 PM   #13
crunchyusmcluv
Rose Bouquet

crunchyusmcluv will become famous soon enoughcrunchyusmcluv will become famous soon enough

This is a great idea I tried to do this before but it never happend. I will post three as soon as i can. I promise!!! I have to get my cookbooks unpacked.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:19 PM   #14
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

Location: High above a great and beautiful canyon in a Golden State city...
Firebird Rising has disabled reputation

Crockpot Rice and Stir-Fry

I used Alton Brown's recipe from here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html and omitted the butter.

Then, I stir-fried veggies with marinated tofu, adding the marinade for a sauce. Here's the gist of what was in the sauce/marinade.

Orange Marinade/Sauce

about 2 TB grated ginger root (I buy ginger root at the store and freeze it and just use a knife to scrape skin off and grate with a very fine grater while it's frozen, works like a charm)
3-4 garlic cloves
a few glug-glugs of soy sauce
maybe 1-2 TB rice vinegar
1-2 TB honey or agave syrup or maple syrup
1 TB sesame oil (totally optional)
1/4-1/3 c orange juice
1 TB cornstarch

Put it all together and whisk well till cornstarch is dissolved. If marinating tofu, dry tofu well with a paper towel and cube, then submerse in marinade for 30-60 minutes. Fry tofu FIRST in a non-stick sprayed or sesame oiled pan and then add the veggies (I used frozen today), THEN add the marinade (obviously, you would have had to drain the tofu. I fry this on high to medium high and stir often.

Crockpot Lasagne (also can be cooked in oven at 350 for an hour)

Okay, I have no idea why, but for some reason, this recipe just has been so hard for me to type out. I think it's because I don't really measure and that throws some people off. I'm including a few recipes in this recipe because I make the sauce from scratch as well.

Vegan Lasagne

2 jars spaghetti sauce (or a batch of homemade sauce, recipe below)
1 lb water packed extra firm tofu
one package frozen spinach
oregano
basil
lemon juice
salt
2-3 medium zucchini or yellow squash or patty pans, whatever
no-boil lasagne noodles
one batch of cheese sauce (recipe below)

So, basically, hopefully you know how to kinda of make lasagne so I don't have to get too complicated. You'll want to slice the zucchini lengthwise in nice thin 1/4 or less slices. Then, throw the tofu in a processor, add oregano and basil and a few splashes of lemon juice. Thaw your spinach, squeeze out any extra water and add to the processor as well until all is mixed up and creamy. Next, get out your pan, spray it with non-stick, layer in the following order... spaghetti sauce, noodles with ricotta spread on them, zucchini, spaghetti sauce, noodles with ricotta....etc. When you reach the top, I recommend throwing one more noodle on there with ricotta for good measure. Then pour the cheese sauce on everything so it's all covered in liquid.

Now, here's the thing. This CAN'T BE BEAT if you freeze it before cooking it. Something to do with the zucchini becoming incredibly creamy and soft and almost cheesy. So, that is the preferred way. If you want to eat it that night, then I recommend throwing the zucchini in a frying pan with a bit of water to soften it.

I usually cook this for an hour at 350-375 depending on how hungry I am. I'm also experimenting with the same recipe putting it in a crockpot outside so I don't heat up my house.

Now for the other recipes...

Marinara sauce:

couple of carrots
couple stalks of celery
one onion
garlic (3 cloves to a whole bulb, skinned of it's paper)
2-3 cans (15 oz) of tomato sauce
1-2 cans (28 oz) of crushed tomatoes
1 large (10 oz?) can of tomato paste
sugar to taste
basil to taste
salt to taste
oregano to taste
Whiz up the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic in a processor until finely minced. Throw in a stock pot with a bit of water and cook till soft. Add all the rest of the tomato stuff, mix well, add more sugar than you think you need, then some salt and you have marinara. Freezes great and can be used for all sorts of things.

Vegan Cheese Sauce:
1 cup raw cashews
2 cups water
1/2 red bell pepper OR 1-2 carrots (I prefer the carrots)
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp onion powder
2 TB nutritional yeast (I use half because I don't like the taste of nut. yeast very much)
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Blend it all up (usually start with half the water and add after the cashews are ground) until it's smooth with no chunks AT ALL! Then put in a small pot and bring to a slow boil, stirring constantly. IF you're using this for lasagne, don't bother boiling it, it'll thicken in the oven. This is my favorite cheese sauce and can be used for anything, quesadillas, burritoes, mac and cheese, ANYTHING, even spread on bread for a sandwich sauce.

Crockpot Mac N Cheese

This is two recipes combined from the 7 Secrets book. It makes a large recipe of macncheese, filled half the huge crockpot we have.

1 can coconut milk
3 1/4 c water
1/4 nutritional yeast
3 tsp salt
1 1/2 c cashews
handful of carrots
2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 c cornstarch
3 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
lb of macaroni or more (I didn't really measure that part)

blend all but the macaroni, using only half the water until the cashews and carrots are creamily blended Pour the liquid into the crockpot and add enough macaroni until it's just under the surface of the liquid. Or, you can pour in however much macaroni you have and add until the liquid just covers the top of the pasta. Click your crockpot on high and let cook until liquid is no longer visible (maybe 2-3 hours).

You can use leftover cheese sauce for all sorts of things or freeze it for a quick meal later. If you want to use it, heat it on the stove until it's softly boiling and stir until thickened. This will scorch at the bottom fairly quickly.

Use What You Got Loaf

Adapted from the NewStart cookbook. Especially typed up here for Tiffany, who requested it 2 yrs ago and I don't know if I ever got it to her!

Select one item from each category and then add desired veggies and seasonings listed at the bottom.

Grains - 1-2 cups
bread crumbs
oats (rolled or quick)
cooked rice or millet
Grape-nuts
cracker crumbs
croutons/stuffing/dressing

Legumes - 2 cups
any type of cooked bean or up to 1 lb chinese tofu

Nuts - 1/2-1 c chopped
almonds
pecans
cashews
sunflower seads
sesame seeds
walnuts

Liquid - 1-11/2 cups
bean juice, veggie broth, non-dairy milk, tomato juice, V8

Binder - 1
2 TB soy flour
2 TB WW flour
2-3 TB gluten flour
3 TB potato flour
1/2 c cooked oatmeal
1/2 c cooked cream of wheat

Vegetables - 1 or more
onion, chopped
garlic, minced
red bell, chopped
celery, chopped

Seasonings - 1/2-1 tsp of one or several
cumin
basil
italian seasoning
oregano
parsley
rosemary
sage
nutritional yeast
braggs
chili powder

Mix all chosen ingredients together. Press into sprayed loaf pan or small casserole dish and bake for 45-60 minutes at 350 degrees. Great as a sandwich filling or with gravy
whatever you feel like...

Pineapple Upside Down Coffee Cake

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray or grease an 8X8 cake pan

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 c sugar
1 TB baking powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

1 can sliced pineapple, reserve juice
1/4 c brown sugar

1 1/4 c liquid **see note below**
1 TB and 1 tsp white vinegar

Put 2 TB of the reserved juice in the bottom of the pan and sprinkle the brown sugar evenly. Lay rings of pineapple to cover the bottom surface, cutting into halves if you need to.

When oven is at temp, stir the liquid ingredients into the dry. Mix quickly and do not over-mix. Spread into pan. Bake 30 minutes -- toothpick test for doneness. Cool in pan on rack for 15 minutes before inverting onto plate to expose pineapple. If any pineapple rings fall off, just place them back in place. Any extra gooey goodness can be spread back on the cake or eaten off the utensil...

**liquid** can be leftover pineapple juice, up to 1 1/4 cups, with soymilk, rice milk or water added to make the amount.

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks - Gandalf

Firebird Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:34 AM   #15
Cat
Rose Garden

Jen, that's a great tip about freezing the ginger. How do you store it?

And...are you going back to your 'preparing for baby and postpartum' thread...???

Married to J

and a kitty bear Sylvia