Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Dessert *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 10-06-2008, 07:17 PM   #1
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute
Default tell me oh wise ones, this marshmallow fondant you speak of

recipe? tips? i've never done any kind of fondant.... i am a fondant virgin.

teach me the way!

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:30 PM   #2
Victorious
Rose Garden

Victorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tell me oh wise ones, this marshmallow fondant you speak of

It's super easy! Waaaaaay easier than I thought.

This is the site I used http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

Here's my result:

The only problem was my cake fell! I would definitely use it again! I will say that even though the claim is that it tastes better than the store-bought variety (which I've never tasted) a lot of people still didn't eat it. It was sweet, but wasn't exactly icing sweet kwim?

Amy (04/26/11)

Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:24 PM   #3
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

cool cake!!!

and the taste is precisely the reason i haven't tried it yet... i never met a fondant i liked. the buttercream i use gets raves, and i'm a little nervous about making this! but i'd like to try branching out, kwim?

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
Old 10-06-2008, 08:29 PM   #4
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

You can always just ice your cake with your regular buttercream (and I'd love tips on that! I can never get a meringue Buttercream to not just melt on my cake!) and then use the fondant to do accents. It is fun and easy to roll it out and cut the decorations and then you just plop them on. Then, if people don't want to eat it, they only have a tiny bit to peel off. But, in small amounts, it really is pretty tasty.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:36 PM   #5
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

hmmm, that's an idea...

afa the swiss meringue buttercream, i use martha stewart's recipe... do you live in a really warm climate? if it's too warm it will get melty... but i've never really had a problem. you need to make sure you beat the meringue for at least 10 min, and that it's totally cool before your add the butter.

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

Old 10-12-2008, 10:07 PM   #6
CapeTownMommy
Deactivated

CapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond repute

I was a fondant virgin until Saturday! I made a MM fondant cake as a practice round for dd's birthday 2 weeks from now - I'll try to come back and post a picture of how it came out. I used the same recipe that was already posted.

I had to adapt it because we don't get shortening here, so I used organic coconut oil and it worked like a charm! A few tips that I'll do next time:

- After microwaving the marshmallows, mix the mixture in a bowl before you dump it on the counter. Make sure the balance is right - I dumped the marshmallows and 3/4 of the icing on the counter and it was sticky as all get-out. It took a long time to get it to a rollable consistency. So next time I'm going to mix it in a bowl until it gets less sticky, and only then start kneading it.

- Have loads of coconut oil (or shortening) on hand to grease the counters and remove sticky bits.

- Have enough cornstarch for the rolling out (I was running low and ended up having to grease with CO again to make it rollable)

- Use a powder coloring instead of liquid, my fingers are still blue from the mix!

I am so happy I tried this! It looks gorgeous. I need help on the taste though, asked elsewhere too, as I didn't realise it would be so sickly sweet.

CapeTownMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:48 AM   #7
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeTownMommy
- Use a powder coloring instead of liquid, my fingers are still blue from the mix!

I am so happy I tried this! It looks gorgeous. I need help on the taste though, asked elsewhere too, as I didn't realise it would be so sickly sweet.

It is pretty sweet. It does not bother me, though, usually there is such a small amount on each piece of cake.

I add the color to the soupy marshmallow mixture instead of kneading it in if I know what color I need at that time.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:04 AM   #8
bostonsmama
Rose Garden

bostonsmama has a reputation beyond reputebostonsmama has a reputation beyond reputebostonsmama has a reputation beyond reputebostonsmama has a reputation beyond reputebostonsmama has a reputation beyond reputebostonsmama has a reputation beyond reputebostonsmama has a reputation beyond reputebostonsmama has a reputation beyond reputebostonsmama has a reputation beyond reputebostonsmama has a reputation beyond reputebostonsmama has a reputation beyond repute

I would definitely add the color to the soupy marshmallow mix. I tried it a few weeks ago with just white fondant, then kneaded in a little bit of black (ghosts and eyes) and it was easy to knead but was much messier than I think it would have been. I also think using the buttercream icing first is a great idea, because the fondant is super sweet and really not that great tasting Much better than store bought fondant mix, but still :/ I've never had a problem with buttercream icing melting... although I'm not sure what meringue buttercream is...so that could be the difference...
Old 10-13-2008, 07:10 AM   #9
CapeTownMommy
Deactivated

CapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond repute

Well for the cake I'm making I need loads of different colours, so I will probably do the liquid or powder colouring again. But if I make a one-colour cake I'll definitely remember this!
Old 10-13-2008, 07:48 AM   #10
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

oh! please do post a picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsmama
I've never had a problem with buttercream icing melting... although I'm not sure what meringue buttercream is...so that could be the difference...
it's different - there's no powdered sugar in it and it has LOTS of butter. you basically make a meringue by heating up egg whites while whisking with regular sugar, then beat it for about 10 - 15 minutes until it looks like marshmallow fluff. then you add the butter gradually that has been beaten really well. it makes a very delicate, buttery, not too sweet frosting. it doesn't "crust".

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

Old 10-14-2008, 05:59 AM   #11
CapeTownMommy
Deactivated

Can you make meringue buttercream without a thermometer to check the temperature of the eggs?
Old 10-14-2008, 07:16 AM   #12
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeTownMommy
Can you make meringue buttercream without a thermometer to check the temperature of the eggs?
i do. i heat them until all the sugar is completely dissolved, it gets pretty hot.

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

Old 10-14-2008, 10:18 AM   #13
bostonsmama
Rose Garden

bostonsmama has a reputation beyond reputebostonsmama has a reputation beyond reputebostonsmama has a reputation beyond reputebostonsmama has a reputation beyond reputebostonsmama has a reputation beyond reputebostonsmama has a reputation beyond reputebostonsmama has a reputation beyond reputebostonsmama has a reputation beyond reputebostonsmama has a reputation beyond reputebostonsmama has a reputation beyond reputebostonsmama has a reputation beyond repute

can I get a recipe for meringue buttercream? I REALLY like the icing we usually make, but I'd like to try this just for fun Does it pipe well?
Old 10-14-2008, 11:10 AM   #14
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

it pipes like a dream. you just need to make sure it's not in your hands too long or it melts - and of course it gets hard if too cold, like butter. some of the cakes i've piped with the buttercream:

one thing to think about is that it's best to use gel colors with this, and it doesn't get very dark - the colors will be on the pastel side. also, you can make this with a hand beater, but it is WAY easier with a stand mixer!

swiss meringue buttercream (makes about 9 cups)
2 1/2 c. sugar
10 large egg whites
4 c. (2 lbs) unsalted butter (i usually make one of the sticks salted, or add a pinch of salt-makes it a little sweeter) use GOOD butter, it will make a difference
2 t. pure vanilla

cut butter into pieces and beat well until fluffy. set aside in a cool place (not the fridge, tho)
place sugar and egg whites in a double boiler over simmering water, or in a heat proof stand mixer bowl over simmering water. whisk constantly until sugar is completely melted and hot to the touch - about 3+ minutes. the mixture should feel smooth between your fingers.
transfer to mixer stand. use the whisk attachment and beat on high speed until cooled COMPLETELY and is stiff and glossy (it really looks like marshmallow fluff to me!). this can take 10 - 15 minutes.
then add the butter, a few T. at a time, and beat until incorperated each time. don't worry if it curdles a bit, keep beating and it will smooth out. add vanilla.
switch to the paddle attachment and finish beating on lowest speed to get air pockets out, about 5 min.

if you are using in within several hours, you can put plastic wrap on it an leave at room temp. it will keep for 3 days in the fridge, wrapped tight, but you have to bring back to room temp and beat with the paddle attachment on low for about 5 minutes again. it will look scary and soupy, but keep beating and it comes together.

there you go! good luck, it's my favorite frosting!

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!