Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Breads / Muffins *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 01-20-2009, 01:52 PM   #271
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BREAD REVOLUTION!!! (pic and link included) (Video added in OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blossomnatalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit
I found a set on Amazon for $20 with Amazon Prime shipping that includes the peel and the stone, and also a pizza cutter. I'm assuming it can't be the very greatest quality, but it's the right diameter stone. I'm so eying it.

I think that is what I bought years ago at Bed Bath and Beyond. The whole set. At first I thought like you, that it might not be very good quality because it was so cheap and not Pampered chef, but it has been the best stone. It seasoned very well and works amazing. I cook/bake everything on it.
Most of the reviews are good. Some people were mad that they could break it by dropping it on the counter or setting a cast iron skillet on it.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:00 PM   #272
RooMama
Rose Garden

Who am I?

RooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit
Some people were mad that they could break it by dropping it on the counter or setting a cast iron skillet on it.

The whole wheat turned out great. My loaf pan is bigger than they said to use, so my loaf is kinda short. I should have used more dough, I think. The kids are munching away at it quite happily.

RooMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:06 PM   #273
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

I've got the whole wheat sandwich bread recipe sitting in the fridge right now, to try for the first time with dinner tonight. I -love- that it's written with honey in the recipe. I was thinking of making the boule shape, though, since it's fun and easy, instead of loaves.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:29 PM   #274
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tickle Momster
What is the easiest/best way to get out my lump to bake?
I reach in and grab a handful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeLady
My DH is just the opposite...he hates the flour, but I'm out of cornmeal. MEN!
Mine hates anything hard in his food. He's always complaining about finding, "rocks in his food." He claims that he almost broke his tooth on the cornmeal.

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:40 PM   #275
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote from: The Tickle Momster on Today at 12:51:02 PM

I reach in and grab a handful. happy smile
You mean I have to touch the stuff w/my fingernails. ewww.

Mine outgrew it's jar. I found a 2 gallon jar at Fred Meyer's but it was $23. It'll have to wait. Mine is only a 1 gallon jar.

Ok, off to grab a handful & shape.

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:17 PM   #276
MaiMama
Rose Garden

MaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
Quote from: The Tickle Momster on Today at 12:51:02 PM

I reach in and grab a handful. happy smile
You mean I have to touch the stuff w/my fingernails. ewww.

Mine outgrew it's jar. I found a 2 gallon jar at Fred Meyer's but it was $23. It'll have to wait. Mine is only a 1 gallon jar.

Ok, off to grab a handful & shape.
If you put a ton of flour on your fingers, it's not quite so bad. But yeah, that's one of my least favorite parts of this endeavor.
Trinity Rain - The Matrix, 2004
Jackson Atreyu - The Neverending Story, 2006
Bella Adalyn - Twilight, 2009
and introducing:
Lincoln Ambassador - Fringe, 12/16/2012
remembering Aviva Ata '08
MaiMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:25 PM   #277
Hermana Linda
Administrator

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

You could make a smaller batch. Yeah, it's hard to make bread without touching dough.

So, I set up a new batch and didn't need to make bread yet, but The Skater was nagging me to make pigs-in-a-blanket.

I just roll out a handfull (not too thin), cut out strips and spiral them around the hotdog. I want to leave them out to rise, but I haven't yet left them out more than 10 minutes due to impatience. I bake them at 350 for about 30 min. They seem happy with them.

Oh, I put some flour in a shaker container because I always seem to be shaking flour all over things. You need flour to shake it out and on the cookie sheet.

My pages:
Old 01-20-2009, 10:01 PM   #278
blossomnatalia

I got my book! I am so exited, although I have to say I expected a book FULL of pictures but no... it is much more plain. LOTS of recipes though.... you can be sure I will be trying the brioche next .....
Old 01-20-2009, 10:26 PM   #279
Hermana Linda
Administrator

My pages:
Old 01-20-2009, 11:07 PM   #280
CrunchySeaSalt
Rose Trellis

Fighting APD and hoping to win soon!

CrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond repute

The pizza was fabulous! I may try just making breadsticks b/c the crust was what I liked best

ESTP Mother to:
L - 21
J - 19
S - 7
J -
CrunchySeaSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:09 PM   #281
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I made it! It was yummy! It was also a little saltier than I like. Can I cut the salt?

I did stick my hands in it and survive. It wasn't as bad as I expected. I enjoy kneading bread, just not when it's sticky.

I made 2 loaves. I am amazed at how much it rises in the fridge.

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
Old 01-21-2009, 06:40 AM   #282
Kazimiera
Rose Bouquet

I am no longer an ostrich

Kazimiera has much to be proud ofKazimiera has much to be proud ofKazimiera has much to be proud ofKazimiera has much to be proud ofKazimiera has much to be proud ofKazimiera has much to be proud ofKazimiera has much to be proud ofKazimiera has much to be proud ofKazimiera has much to be proud of

I have to say, I have had fresh bread in my house constantly for two weeks now! Yesterday we were out of both store bought and homemade after dinner and I asked DH to run to the store and he said,"Why, we can just eat homemade bread tomorrow." I feel so domesticy, almost like I am getting back to some primal part of being a wife and mother (my inner feminist is not sure about that one - but I keep telling her this is not "women's work" this is fun work).

It is pronounced: Kazj-MERE-rah
Talking to a secular audience about spiritual matters is like doing card tricks on the radio.

-Mary Carr
Kazimiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:35 AM   #283
blossomnatalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazimiera
I feel so domesticy, almost like I am getting back to some primal part of being a wife and mother (my inner feminist is not sure about that one - but I keep telling her this is not "women's work" this is fun work).

Old 01-21-2009, 08:25 AM   #284
CakeLady

Quote:
Ok, I made it! It was yummy! It was also a little saltier than I like. Can I cut the salt?
Did you Kosher, sea, or table salt? It makes a huge difference...I believe the recipe calls for Kosher or sea, so if you used table salt it would be a lot saltier. In any event, I'm sure cutting the salt a little bit won't change it to much.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:45 AM   #285
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeLady
Quote:
Did you Kosher, sea, or table salt? It makes a huge difference...I believe the recipe calls for Kosher or sea, so if you used table salt it would be a lot saltier. In any event, I'm sure cutting the salt a little bit won't change it to much.
I used sea salt. I made a different bread recipe recently that was also too salty. Might cut by 1/2 T and see what happens next batch.

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save