Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Breads / Muffins *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 01-06-2009, 04:12 PM   #136
CakeLady

Default Re: BREAD REVOLUTION!!! (pic and link included)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah
I'm going to start a batch tomorrow with fresh milled flour. I'll let you know how it turns out.
I'm totally interested too since I usually grind my wheat for bread.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:57 PM   #137
FaithfilledGranolaChick

Tonight I used the stone and the house got so smokey, it was awful. I had to pull the bread out take the stone outside and finish the bread on a cookie sheet. Maybe something was wrong w/ the stone? Anyway, it still turned out great.

I had a couple questions, are all of you putting the cup of water in the broiler pan at the bottom of the stove like it says?

and what is the best way to store the bread? We cannot always eat it all in one day, I was thinking just a ziploc bag or something?? Or maybe foil, I dunno?
Old 01-06-2009, 05:11 PM   #138
blossomnatalia

that sounds wierd... something must have been wrong with the stone ...

I do put the water in the broiler because it helps to make it crusty.

I leave the bread out.... like I did in France because I don't like "soft" bread.... I can't stand the way in turns out in a ziplock and we def eat it all the next day.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:33 PM   #139
Herbwifemama
Deactivated

dd running through the sprinkler last summer

Herbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant future

My stone was all smokey too. I think it's from oils being on the stone. I figure they'll all smoke off eventually, if I keep using the stone.

I made more today, and this time, I used all white whole wheat, since it's all I have. White whole wheat doesn't have any white flour in it, it's a different kind of wheat than the regular whole wheat that just makes a lighter loaf in general.
Herbwifemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:44 PM   #140
blossomnatalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessianicMama
My stone was all smokey too. I think it's from oils being on the stone. I figure they'll all smoke off eventually, if I keep using the stone.

I made more today, and this time, I used all white whole wheat, since it's all I have. White whole wheat doesn't have any white flour in it, it's a different kind of wheat than the regular whole wheat that just makes a lighter loaf in general.
that is what I have been using for my last 3 batches....
Old 01-06-2009, 05:52 PM   #141
Mert
Rose Garden

Mert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah
I walked out with a 2 gallon glass jar. I will need to move a shelf in my fridge to get it to fit, but I'm o.k. with that.
Where did you find such a big glass container?? Does it have a wide mouth? That's what I was hoping to find.
Mert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:42 AM   #142
FaithfilledGranolaChick

Thank you!

What if you want to bring someone a loaf, what is the best thing to wrap it in (of course I would bring it the same day I made it) Sorry so many questions

Tonight I am making pizza!!
Old 01-07-2009, 05:47 AM   #143
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! Forget the breadmachine I was looking at!

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:32 AM   #144
CakeLady

Okay, I've been holding off making this cuz we weren't having something for dinner that a loaf of bread would go with...but I can't wait any longer. We are going out tonight cuz DH's Aunt is town, but I'm making it anyway. DD and I can snack on it, then I could make pizza for lunch tomorrow or something.

Wish me luck!!!!
Old 01-07-2009, 07:41 AM   #145
Naked Camper
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Naked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithfilledGranolaChick
Thank you!

What if you want to bring someone a loaf, what is the best thing to wrap it in (of course I would bring it the same day I made it) Sorry so many questions

Tonight I am making pizza!!
probably plastic wrap or foil - I would let it cool completely before wrapping though

Married to my best friend of 17 years
Mommy to:
baby Micheal ('03)
Malachi - 8
Corban - 5
Asher -4
Evangeline - 2

Fruit of Labor Placenta Encapsulation
Naked Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:53 AM   #146
Kazimiera
Rose Bouquet

I am no longer an ostrich

Kazimiera has much to be proud ofKazimiera has much to be proud ofKazimiera has much to be proud ofKazimiera has much to be proud ofKazimiera has much to be proud ofKazimiera has much to be proud ofKazimiera has much to be proud ofKazimiera has much to be proud ofKazimiera has much to be proud of

I have my dough rising on top of my oven. So I guess I will see how it looks in a couple hours. I will make a loaf today and see how it goes. I started with the whole wheat even though the thing said to do the "basic" recipe first. I just so much prefer whole wheat bread.

It is pronounced: Kazj-MERE-rah
Talking to a secular audience about spiritual matters is like doing card tricks on the radio.

-Mary Carr
Kazimiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:57 AM   #147
blossomnatalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithfilledGranolaChick
Thank you!

I would just wrap it in a cloth in a basket but that is my style or carry it in a small cloth bag.(that i would take back home with me of course)

In france when you buy your bread there is just a tiny piece of paper in the middle so that you can hold it but sometimes, nothing at all. I guess they are not concerned about bread being handle like here. And i guess it stuck with me. We put the bread on the table too when we eat instead of the plate and I have had some looks when doing so over here
Old 01-07-2009, 07:58 AM   #148
Blue Savannah
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Blue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond repute

How big a container does this bread need for storage in the fridge? I'd like to use glass, but. . . I'm not sure if I can find something big enough.
Blue Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:01 AM   #149
blossomnatalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Savannah
How big a container does this bread need for storage in the fridge? I'd like to use glass, but. . . I'm not sure if I can find something big enough.
For the 6-3-3-13 recipe, I use a rectangular "lock and clock" container that measures 9.5 quart and it is perfect.
Read back a few pages and many talk about the kind of containers they found that works for them.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:14 AM   #150
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

that is so amazing!!!!

Now if only I could make whole-grain sourdough this easily . . . anyone have a 5-minute sourdough recipe?
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote