Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public* > Technical Corner (Electronics, Computers, Websites (like Facebook), Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Old 04-30-2010, 05:03 AM   #1
NovelMama
Rose Garden

Our sweet family, 2017

NovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default spokeo.com

Have you seen this? They aggregate all your personal information from whatever websites/social networks/phone books/etc they can and put it all in one place. I looked myself up and it supposedly had my FULL address (would have had to pay to join in order to see it, but the link for it was there, and all that was missing was my house number--the street name was right there), information about what kind of house and neighborhood I live in, and a whole list of "about" information: listens to Christian music, likes to read, has children, that sort of thing. You can opt out by looking yourself up and clicking on the privacy link down in the lower right corner.
Inspirational Women's Fiction author
Children's storybook author
Homeschool coach
NovelMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:09 AM   #2
jenn3514
Rose Garden

Be assured, God is in the details.

jenn3514 has disabled reputation
Default Re: spokeo.com

That's a little scary. I am not on there.
jenn3514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:16 AM   #3
WI Mama05
Rose Garden

God, you've got this!

WI Mama05 has disabled reputation

Only DH was on there, but I deleted him. Freaky.
WI Mama05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:17 AM   #4
Mama Bird
Rose Garden

Mama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you! I found two listings for myself. I am apparently a single mother. I removed both, but when I looked up my DH, it had our old phone number right there! And it says that our house is valued at $1M. I had no idea!

ETA: I just looked up my parents and their UNLISTED (for safety reasons) phone number was on there!

Last edited by Mama Bird; 04-30-2010 at 05:26 AM.
Mama Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:22 AM   #5
Mama Calidad

True. There's more here worth reading: http://www.snopes.com/computer/internet/spokeo.asp
Old 04-30-2010, 05:28 AM   #6
NovelMama
Rose Garden

Our sweet family, 2017

NovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, my profile was pretty accurate, though it listed me as living here for 4 years, and we haven't been here a year yet! DH's was really off--showed a bunch of profile pics that weren't his, said he'd lived here 9 years, and the housing worth estimate was completely different than it had been on mine. By brother's was really off, too. Neither of my parents were listed, which makes sense since they have virtually no personal online presence and always go unlisted in phone books and stuff. But then, so do I, and my location info was still there.

Weird. I don't like it.

---------- Post added at 06:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 AM ----------

Well, Snopes said they couldn't get their info deleted, and that they don't verify that you are the person you're trying to remove, but Spokeo must have changed that since Snopes last reported because I was sent a confirmation at my email address and had to click the link to complete the removal, and when I went back and searched I wasn't there.
Inspirational Women's Fiction author
Children's storybook author
Homeschool coach
NovelMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NovelMama For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2010, 05:48 AM   #7
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

But what I thought was interesting was that Snopes pointed out that they may be collecting your email information when you opt out.

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:59 AM   #8
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation

My information was so inaccurate I decided it was better not to opt out.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:02 AM   #9
LoveIsGentle
Rose Garden

LoveIsGentle has disabled reputation

Weird. DH and I aren't listed on there, but my dad is (and I'm listed there under my maiden name as living in the household), and MIL and FIL are on there with a LOT of personal information.
LoveIsGentle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:07 AM   #10
Chris3jam

Well, we're on there, but the information is completely inaccurate. How would one delete it anyways? And, is it even legal to do this kind of thing?
Old 04-30-2010, 06:15 AM   #11
scottishthistle
Climbing Rose

scottishthistle has a reputation beyond reputescottishthistle has a reputation beyond reputescottishthistle has a reputation beyond reputescottishthistle has a reputation beyond reputescottishthistle has a reputation beyond reputescottishthistle has a reputation beyond reputescottishthistle has a reputation beyond reputescottishthistle has a reputation beyond reputescottishthistle has a reputation beyond reputescottishthistle has a reputation beyond reputescottishthistle has a reputation beyond repute

thankyou very much! I deleted it all, so much info! although they said our house was valued at 1M- I don't quite think so
scottishthistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:50 PM   #12
Pragmatist
Rose Garden

Pragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond repute

My DH's information was way off so I think a lot of it is guessing or common answers. Mine was more accurate and I have shared more information online then he has. And our home was listed as $1M+ also, so um, yeah, they really don't have a clue.

Strawberry Shortcake- 3/07

Huckleberry Pie- 9/11
Pragmatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:13 PM   #13
blessedwithboys
Rose Garden

blessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond repute

I think everyone's house is listed at one million. My guess on that is that the current value they have listed is more of a place holder until they get everyone's home values (it's easy enough to do- you just have to know someone's address).

I removed my listing about a month ago. Dh didn't have one. I just checked it and it looks like the removal was sucessful.

They had our old address w/ a pic of the front of our home. The internet search cookies they'd used to gather information were fairly accurate.

My grandparent's listing was kind of funny because it says they are Asian. They aren't, but they do have an Asian student living with them. I'm sure it picked up her internet acitivity...so that means the internet search information *is* based on what people are doing online in your home.
blessedwithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:20 PM   #14
Charlie U
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Charlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond repute

Creepy. According to it, dh is the "decision maker" and I am the parent. Also, it has my MIL listed as living here as two different people. (Her legal name and her nickname.)

I'm almost tempted to pay for a membership just to see what info they have on there. I won't, but I'm tempted.

Actually, on dh's profile, they have an accurate listing of our home's value. Never mind. That's median info.

But it's hard living life on this memory-go-round. Always up, always down. Spinning 'round and 'round and 'round. All this could be just a dream so it seems I was never much good at goodbye.

Last edited by Charlie U; 04-30-2010 at 07:23 PM.
Charlie U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:44 AM   #15
Mokek Kwe
Deactivated

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

Mokek Kwe has a reputation beyond reputeMokek Kwe has a reputation beyond reputeMokek Kwe has a reputation beyond reputeMokek Kwe has a reputation beyond reputeMokek Kwe has a reputation beyond reputeMokek Kwe has a reputation beyond reputeMokek Kwe has a reputation beyond reputeMokek Kwe has a reputation beyond reputeMokek Kwe has a reputation beyond reputeMokek Kwe has a reputation beyond reputeMokek Kwe has a reputation beyond repute

I actually paid for the 3 month membership lol
Mokek Kwe is offline   Reply With Quote