Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:05 PM   #31
LikeADimMirror
Rose Bush

LikeADimMirror is on a distinguished road
Default Re: NEW Pearl Statement. Gag.

After reading that, I think the man has an untreated mental problem. He is completely oblivious to any reality outside of his own mind.
bananacake (03-03-2010), Johns_Gal (03-03-2010), Maggie (03-03-2010), momyshaver (03-03-2010), mountainash (03-03-2010), Sparrow (03-03-2010), StrangeTraveller (03-03-2010)
Old 03-03-2010, 12:06 PM   #32
Buela

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoKids View Post
I wonder how would one go about initiating the process of church discipline on this matter?
Isn't he the leader of his own church? Don't see how that would be possible.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:11 PM   #33
mommie
Rose Trellis

On my way to a healther me.

mommie has a reputation beyond reputemommie has a reputation beyond reputemommie has a reputation beyond reputemommie has a reputation beyond reputemommie has a reputation beyond reputemommie has a reputation beyond reputemommie has a reputation beyond reputemommie has a reputation beyond reputemommie has a reputation beyond reputemommie has a reputation beyond reputemommie has a reputation beyond repute

Did they take this down? I cant find it?
mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:13 PM   #34
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiMama View Post
Creepy. That's about the maturity level of "I fart in your general direction!"

And, by the way, Africa is not a country. Is that the kind of homeschooling error he advocates "chastisement" for?
totally!

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:14 PM   #35
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buela View Post
Isn't he the leader of his own church? Don't see how that would be possible.
Well, the goals would still be the same as with church discipline within a congregation, to call someone to restoration with grace and gentleness. And, if that fails, the act of excommunication is to signal to the world that we don't claim as our brother those who commit evil that is offensive even to them to keep our witness credible.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:16 PM   #36
StrangeTraveller
Deactivated

StrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommie View Post
Did they take this down? I cant find it?
It is a note on their facebook page, No Greater Joy. And yes, that page is currently all about answering folks who are "naysaying" regarding the Schatz case.
StrangeTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:16 PM   #37
Joyful Mommy
Climbing Rose

Joyful Mommy is just really niceJoyful Mommy is just really niceJoyful Mommy is just really niceJoyful Mommy is just really niceJoyful Mommy is just really nice

That is terrible!
A [12.14.06]
N [10.24.08]
Shalom born to heaven [02.01.13]
Surprise baby due this August

Joyful Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:17 PM   #38
hey mommy
Rose Garden

I am so hopelessly in love..

hey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond repute

I think I'm going to vomit.. Especially after reading that last paragraph..

Janice (ISFP), single-mommy to Cias(11) Samuel( 4) and 2 babies in heaven

Scully: You know, there is life on this planet.
Mulder: I've seen the life on this planet, Scully, that's why I'm looking elsewhere.

A

Check out my NEW facebook page.
I am now a Plexus Ambassador.
hey mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:18 PM   #39
Mama Bird
Rose Garden

Mama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond repute

This has such a weird vibe. You know how you laugh off and try to justify when you're wrong and you know it? That's what that felt like.

And does he think that all our gently parented children are going to end up on welfare or something? Because it's apparently only abused kids who will get jobs and be productive members of society.

Unhinged. Seriously unhinged.
Mama Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mama Bird For This Useful Post:
Aisling (03-03-2010), BHope (03-03-2010), erinee (03-03-2010), HomeWithMyBabies (03-03-2010), Maggie (03-03-2010), momyshaver (03-03-2010), NewLeaf (03-03-2010), StrangeTraveller (03-03-2010), Treenahurricane (03-06-2010)
Old 03-03-2010, 12:19 PM   #40
hey mommy
Rose Garden

I am so hopelessly in love..

hey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organique Gal View Post
I just emailed PETA. They have the kind of publicity to really rile people up.
Good.. Sadly that will get more people in an uproar than the child dying will.

Janice (ISFP), single-mommy to Cias(11) Samuel( 4) and 2 babies in heaven

Scully: You know, there is life on this planet.
Mulder: I've seen the life on this planet, Scully, that's why I'm looking elsewhere.

A

Check out my NEW facebook page.
I am now a Plexus Ambassador.
hey mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:22 PM   #41
Johns_Gal
Rose Garden

Johns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond repute

This man is seriously evil. A little girl DIED. You'd think he'd be horrified if he were merely misled, instead he LAUGHS?
momyshaver (03-03-2010), Zooey (03-04-2010)
Old 03-03-2010, 12:22 PM   #42
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

I find it totally insulting.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:23 PM   #43
Maggie
Deactivated

love

Maggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond repute

I think that is the most disgusting and ridiculous thing I have ever read! That part about the chickens and dogs and how the little girls laugh when they spank their baby dolls...just awful.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:23 PM   #44
Barefoot Bookworm
Rose Garden

Barefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, that man makes me ill.
Lamb (12),
Miss Mousie (11),
Billy Goat (9),
Wren and Hedgehog (5)!
Barefoot Bookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:28 PM   #45
Aisling
Deactivated

Even artichokes have hearts!

Aisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond repute

I feel embarrassed for him. There's so much hubris and arrogance in so many unfounded statements, it's just digressed into "I know you are, but what am I?"

You know what I love about GD? The fact that children are taught and loved and directed, but they're not always held up as some trophy of the parent's "discipline/training". That's not to say that I haven't met some seriously cool and smart innovative kids...it's just that the parent child relationship is about a life long relationship, and not out to prove something. It's not a cult of the perfect (because NO ONE is) parent.

When parents flaunt their very human children like this, based on the assumption that the child's successes and preciousness are a direct product of spanking , it's pretty unkind to the child. "Don't screw up in any way, because then I can't stick you in my cap like a feather." Grace, anyone?

Last edited by Aisling; 03-03-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Aisling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Aisling For This Useful Post:
brandi (03-03-2010), erinee (03-03-2010), Grower08 (03-04-2010), Johns_Gal (03-03-2010), Maggie (03-03-2010), mama-hobbit (03-03-2010), mom2boys (03-03-2010), momyshaver (03-03-2010), mountainash (03-03-2010), NewLeaf (03-03-2010), Rea T (03-03-2010), ronioli (03-03-2010), SortaCrunchy (03-03-2010)