Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:29 PM   #136
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NEW Pearl Statement. Gag.

I've been thinking about how he says that the children he knows are laughing and happy children. I even remember an excerpt, maybe from his website, that talked about a child hugging mom around the neck and saying "I love you."

Here's a couple of thoughts.

I grew up in a household that was punitive. It doesn't mean that I was beaten and screamed all the times. There were happy times. Most outsiders would never have guessed the pain and shame I carried. I don't think a lot of people still get it. It didn't manifest in the stereotypical way. I'm still emotionally broken. I have issues making friends and lasting friends because of attachment issues. But everyone who knows me thinks of me as happy and positive. I do look good on the surface. My parents have always been well know in the church body and people have often said they were good role models.....but what went on behind closed doors...

My MIL has worked in Family Services for 20 years. She saw Moms come in for their welfare checks, saw kids who came from abusive families. The thing she said that amazed her was that kids who came from these families always wanted to stay with their mom. They still loved their parents. She didn't understand it.

I still love my parents. We've made huge strides in our relationship. They are awesome, gentle, doting grandparents. My mom wishes now that she had different tools to parent us.

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
Hermana Linda (03-04-2010), joyful mama (03-06-2010), mom2boys (03-04-2010), NewLeaf (03-04-2010), Treenahurricane (03-06-2010), Zooey (03-04-2010)
Old 03-04-2010, 02:33 PM   #137
Grower08
Deactivated

Grower08 has a spectacular aura aboutGrower08 has a spectacular aura aboutGrower08 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove View Post
And THIS current statement . . . it's not about the deaths. It's not about WHAT the statements against him and his methods are about. It's an ATTACK!

It's rude and mocking and insulting. At minimum it reveals his true character. At maximum it reveals his true diagnosis. (not that I'm giving one).
When I was reading his statement I had the thought "Thems fightin' words!" I totally agree with Crystal - it's an attack. A "you" vs "us" sort of thing. That's what makes me .

His "statement" wreaks of immaturity, narcissism, and arrogance.

I feel like my own face was slapped by being called a "fool" AND being laughed at. But you know what? As hard as it is, I'll still look him in the face and turn the other cheek. Because that's what my gentle, loving, merciful Savior did for me when my sins sent Him to the cross. I'm not laughing back. No Pearl jeering and immaturity will shake me from what I received from Jesus - GRACE. And it's that grace that my daughter will feel and appreciate as she is growing up. Not a 1/4 inch plumbing line across her legs.
Grower08 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grower08 For This Useful Post:
brandi (03-04-2010), canadiyank (03-04-2010)
Old 03-04-2010, 02:41 PM   #138
Carmen
Rose Trellis

Carmen is a splendid one to beholdCarmen is a splendid one to beholdCarmen is a splendid one to beholdCarmen is a splendid one to beholdCarmen is a splendid one to beholdCarmen is a splendid one to beholdCarmen is a splendid one to beholdCarmen is a splendid one to beholdCarmen is a splendid one to behold

His statement still haunts me. To think of all the children that are suffering because of this man's influence is so saddening.

I posted his statement on my FB last night. I said that he was laughing about people questioning why children have been killed by parents following his methods and that he made me physically ill. I only got a couple of positive responses. One of my other FB friends, though, who I suspect to be a Pearl supporter changed her status update today to "Proverbs 1:7". I'm guessing it is a dig at my link, but can't be sure.
DD3 Frankie 2/09
3/12
DS 1/19/13

Carmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:55 PM   #139
Rea T
Deactivated

Growing into something beautiful...

Rea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen View Post
His statement still haunts me. To think of all the children that are suffering because of this man's influence is so saddening.

I posted his statement on my FB last night. I said that he was laughing about people questioning why children have been killed by parents following his methods and that he made me physically ill. I only got a couple of positive responses. One of my other FB friends, though, who I suspect to be a Pearl supporter changed her status update today to "Proverbs 1:7". I'm guessing it is a dig at my link, but can't be sure.
Hmm. Change yours to "Jesus said, 'Let the little children come to me and forbid them not, for SUCH IS THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN'" If Jesus thought we all had to become like children then maybe child-like behavior isn't such a bad thing...
Rea T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rea T For This Useful Post:
3boysforme (03-04-2010)
Old 03-04-2010, 03:30 PM   #140
3boysforme
Deactivated

It's the Peanut!

3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute

I can't even begin to articulate how sick he makes me.
I am so thankful I didnot have to grow up like that, and so heartbroken for those who did and still are.
3boysforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:46 PM   #141
littleplum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaBear View Post
I've been thinking about how he says that the children he knows are laughing and happy children. I even remember an excerpt, maybe from his website, that talked about a child hugging mom around the neck and saying "I love you."

Here's a couple of thoughts.

I grew up in a household that was punitive. It doesn't mean that I was beaten and screamed all the times. There were happy times. Most outsiders would never have guessed the pain and shame I carried. I don't think a lot of people still get it. It didn't manifest in the stereotypical way. I'm still emotionally broken. I have issues making friends and lasting friends because of attachment issues. But everyone who knows me thinks of me as happy and positive. I do look good on the surface. My parents have always been well know in the church body and people have often said they were good role models.....but what went on behind closed doors...

My MIL has worked in Family Services for 20 years. She saw Moms come in for their welfare checks, saw kids who came from abusive families. The thing she said that amazed her was that kids who came from these families always wanted to stay with their mom. They still loved their parents. She didn't understand it.

I still love my parents. We've made huge strides in our relationship. They are awesome, gentle, doting grandparents. My mom wishes now that she had different tools to parent us.
Aside from the growing up in the church part, I could have written everything you just did about my relationship with my mom and my outward appearance compared to my inward self.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:24 PM   #142
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen View Post

Dig or not, "how true" would be a good response to any verse.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThreeKids For This Useful Post:
brandi (03-04-2010)
Old 03-06-2010, 05:59 PM   #143
Treenahurricane
Rose Trellis

Struggling with life

Treenahurricane has a reputation beyond reputeTreenahurricane has a reputation beyond reputeTreenahurricane has a reputation beyond reputeTreenahurricane has a reputation beyond reputeTreenahurricane has a reputation beyond reputeTreenahurricane has a reputation beyond reputeTreenahurricane has a reputation beyond reputeTreenahurricane has a reputation beyond reputeTreenahurricane has a reputation beyond reputeTreenahurricane has a reputation beyond reputeTreenahurricane has a reputation beyond repute

What boggles me is that how this man can be this insane and have so many who are blindly trusting him. Any other "ministry" or even business if they found out a child was killed while trying to use their methods (correctly or incorrectly), would immediately pull their information and re-evaluate it to see if there is anything they need to clarify so that something like that doesn't happen again and issues a public statement about how saddened they are by the death of a child. They don't first post a statement "nope wasn't using it right, not me not me not me... should have done it better" and then "ha ha na na na boo boo your own fault" in response.

This man has no heart!

Treenahurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Treenahurricane For This Useful Post:
canadiyank (03-06-2010)
Old 03-06-2010, 06:10 PM   #144
TuneMyHeart
Rose Garden

Here's my heart, Lord, take and seal it. Seal it for Thy courts above.

TuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond repute

Michael Pearl's response is so awful that it's turned some Pearl followers off. The ones who say they can chew the meat and spit out the bones of his stuff. I think he's opened his mouth too wide this time.
TuneMyHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:19 PM   #145
joyful mama
Rose Garden

Word of God speak...

joyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond repute

dh was and absolutely disgusted by this, when I showed it to him. me? I tried to not literally hurl, and I'm truly sickened by it.

actually, what dh said isn't appropriate for GCM . and my dh is a VERY mellow guy.

---------- Post added at 01:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organique Gal View Post
So he beats his animals too?! Wait till someone sics PETA on him...
thats what my dh said..

Married to my knight in shining armor

Work-in-progress mother to my three awesome kids:

S (8), T (6) and the Little Guy (3)
...and always remembering our little angel

joyful mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:24 PM   #146
Chris3jam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuneMyHeart View Post
Michael Pearl's response is so awful that it's turned some Pearl followers off. The ones who say they can chew the meat and spit out the bones of his stuff. I think he's opened his mouth too wide this time.
Did you see my FB? There still are people who say that posting "just the negative" stuff is unfair and unbalanced, and that he has helped millions of people.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:50 PM   #147
TuneMyHeart
Rose Garden

Here's my heart, Lord, take and seal it. Seal it for Thy courts above.

TuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris3jam View Post
Did you see my FB? There still are people who say that posting "just the negative" stuff is unfair and unbalanced, and that he has helped millions of people.
No, I didn't see it. I know there are still Pearl supporters, but I'm glad that some of them are starting to see the truth about him.
TuneMyHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TuneMyHeart For This Useful Post:
canadiyank (03-06-2010), Maggie (03-07-2010)