Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Canning / Preserving *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 07-18-2007, 04:01 PM   #16
CakeLady

Default Re: Summer 2007 Canning Menu

That peach butter recipe sounds so yummy. I make pear butter (and apple butter too) all the time in my crockpot. In AZ it is way to hot to keep the stove on too long, so my mom and I use the crockpot to make the butters. It takes all day, instead of 45 mins....but it is so yummy!
Old 07-18-2007, 04:04 PM   #17
kklibrarian
Moderator to Adoption & Foster Care, Cloth Diapering & EC, Gardening, Infertility, Large Families, and WOHM's

The Famous Belladonna Took

kklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond repute

These are my grandfather's fig preserves. I'm going to make them on Friday for the first time with the figs my neighbor gave me.

Whole Figs
Sugar

Wash and stem figs. Place in a large stock pot. Add sugar, tapping the pot to work sugar into all the nooks and crannies between the figs. When you've added enough sugar that the sugar is at the same level as the figs, set aside and let soak until the sugar begins to turn liquid like. Place figs mixture on low heat on the stove top and simmer until the figs start to look translucent and glossy and the syrup is clear. Stir frequently to prevent sticking/scorching.

Ladle figs into prepared jars leaving a quarter inch head space. Place lids and secure rings on jars. Process 10 minutes in a boiling water canner. I might do these in the pressure cooker just to make sure I get a good seal as figs are not a very acidic fruit.
Sky (dd) - age 21 ish
Jolie (dd) - age practically 20
Jilly (dd) - age ditto
Sigh (ds) - age 15 or "thereabouts"
kklibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:08 PM   #18
kklibrarian
Moderator to Adoption & Foster Care, Cloth Diapering & EC, Gardening, Infertility, Large Families, and WOHM's

kklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoongardenMama
I always remember my mother, whenever a female relative would come over, she'd take them downstairs to see what she'd already "put up" for the season,
and they'd all do the same when we went visiting. I just love that memory. OH! Do you have any pics of your stuff?!? I'd be thrilled to see it!
No, I don't have pics. But I'm trying to clear all the stuff off of my grandfather's hutch in my kitchen to display the jars as I'm running out of space in the tiny cabinet that had been devoted to home-canned goods. When I get it all set-up and looking pretty, I'll snap a digital pic and post it back here.
Sky (dd) - age 21 ish
Jilly (dd) - age ditto
Old 07-18-2007, 04:11 PM   #19
kklibrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by palil
My mouth just waters remembering all the canned stuff we used to eat... green beans, strawberry / fig / pear preserves.... ahhhhhh!
I am going to make my papaw's fig preserve recipe for the first time ever on Friday. I love figs.

My grandmother on my daddy's side used to always put up apples and pears to use in cobblers and pies in the winter time. Then she'd forget to label them before she sent them to us. We'd still use them in the cobblers and just called the resulting dessert -- Mystery Fruit Surprise.

Good memories.
Sky (dd) - age 21 ish
Jilly (dd) - age ditto
Old 07-18-2007, 04:19 PM   #20
Katherine

hahahha!

My grandparents had a fig tree in their back yard and would pick them fresh and make the most mouth-watering preserves in the world! When I taste a fresh, ripe fig, I'm instantly a little girl again, standing in my Grandma's kitchen on summer vacation.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:17 PM   #21
kklibrarian

Well, I made fig preserves today and put up 2 pints of pears. I needed a little kitchen therapy after my doctor's appointment this morning. I'll do the rest of the pears when they get a little more ripe. They're still a little green. BTW.....my papaw's fig preserve recipe worked perfect and they are just gorgeous in their little jars.

Blessings,
Kelly
Sky (dd) - age 21 ish
Jilly (dd) - age ditto
Old 07-20-2007, 04:12 PM   #22
3PeasInAPod
Deactivated

3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for sharing those recipes! I'm going to try some of them, especially the spaghetti sauce!
I've only ever done peaches ,& pickles & blackberry jam!
3PeasInAPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:24 AM   #23
mommaof3boz

tomatoes will also skin easier if you do the boil bath/ice bath treatment first, the skin actually slide off with your fingers.

I have put up this year-diced tomatoes, strawberry preserves and am getting ready to start green beans and spaghetti sauce. I plan to make applesauce again this fall and put up peaches. YUM
Old 07-23-2007, 12:50 PM   #24
icesmom3

this summer I have put up 18 pints of strawberry jam and 13 of strawberry-rhubarb....and I want to do blackberry if we get enough.
last summer my mom and I did 37 pints of peach jam....a lady at church gave us peaches from her tree and I was looking forward to doing it again...but the lady at church told me her peaches aren't growing due to a frost this spring...waaaa
anyone want to send me some peaches?
anyhow....our greenbeans are growing and I will be putting those up....hopefully 40 or so quarts!
and the spaghetti sause sounds yummmy....will have to try that!
Old 07-23-2007, 04:29 PM   #25
kklibrarian

I did the basil garlic tomato sauce that I posted earlier in this thread today. The taste is terrific. I'm hoping to get some more tomatoes and do a few more jars. I also put up four more pint jars of pears.

I'm hoping we can get some more peaches before the summer is over, because there is a peach conserve I want to try.

I'm hoping we can put up some corn too, if the corn that is currently growing in our garden will cooperate.

Blessings,
Kelly
Sky (dd) - age 21 ish
Jilly (dd) - age ditto
Old 07-24-2007, 07:30 AM   #26
Oliveshoots
Rose Garden

Oliveshoots is just really niceOliveshoots is just really niceOliveshoots is just really niceOliveshoots is just really nice

Someday, when I have a bigger kitchen, I want to do lots of canning!

I have convinced my mom to do grape juice again this year, and she's going to teach me how (I watched as a kid, but never paid attention.) I am going to try to help her with the beans and tomatoes, too, so I can learn how.

I really want this to be a memory my kids have. Of seeing my mom and I canning, and then eating what we've canned. Just like I have the memory of my mom and grandmother (grandmothers on both sides, actually) canning.

It's definately a legacy I want to pass on to my kids....resourcefulness, healthy eating, frugality, hard-work, and family time! (And gooooooood eatin', too!)
Kristen<br />Wife to David<br />Mom to ds (8-17-03) and dd (12-21-04)<br />Jesus is my bail-out. The Holy Spirit is my stimulus package. His blessings of family and friends are my recovery acts. &quot;Those who have been required to memorize the world as it is will never create the world as it might be.&quot; ~Judith Groch
Oliveshoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:17 PM   #27
Littledisciples
Rose Garden

My sweet girls who have given me strength to endure

Littledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond repute

OH I had no idea this board existed. Sweet I love to can I will check back thanks.

Mom of Kayla 2000, Katie 2001 and Kira 2004
Step Mom of B girl 1995, S girl 1998, J boy 2001, J girl 2002, M girl 2002, K girl 2003, S girl 2004

Grandma to J Dec 2014, J May 2017, G November 2018

Sometimes our life is crazy but I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

Resting with Jesus Seth, Mercy, Love, Serenity, Hope, Whisper and Clare bear
Littledisciples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 01:17 PM   #28
JJsMom
Rose Garden

JJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't know this existed either! I searched salsa and this popped up!
I need a salsa recipe, we are overflowing with tomatoes! I'm going to try that tomato sauce too.
Gave birth to my J-bird 10 yrs ago (ds)
Homebirthed my LuLu 7 yrs ago (dd)
Homebirthed my Punkin' seed (and Great Grandma's namesake) 4 years ago. (dd)
And had our newest arrival, JellyBean 2 years ago. (dd)

I still miss my Great Grandma every single day. I'm not ready to take her picture out of my avi. She feels closer this way.
JJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 02:31 PM   #29
Naked Camper
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Naked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond repute

I want a pressure cooker/canner so I can can stuff...granted that would require buying fruits/veggies from the farmer's market first...

Married to my best friend of 17 years
Mommy to:
baby Micheal ('03)
Malachi - 8
Corban - 5
Asher -4
Evangeline - 2

Fruit of Labor Placenta Encapsulation
Naked Camper is offline   Reply With Quote