Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 03-09-2022, 11:13 AM   #16
deena
Rose Garden

deena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daylight Savings Time Sunday, March 13

No way! Already? With the sun back, we can live again!
deena is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deena For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (03-09-2022)
Old 03-10-2022, 07:50 AM   #17
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoannaV View Post
They should stick with one time and instead change the schedule of things as needed/wanted. It's not as if everyone works 9-5, and even schools have vastly different start/end times within the same region.
This is my opinion as well!

I enjoy light in the evenings, but I also struggle to wake up when it's dark so I like regular time in the winter. I tend to wake up easily and go to bed easily.

I also live in the south and we have longer days than people up north. I could never live where it gets dark at 4! 5:30 is bad enough!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2022, 11:53 AM   #18
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
They should stick with one time and instead change the schedule of things as needed/wanted. It's not as if everyone works 9-5, and even schools have vastly different start/end times within the same region.
Yes! The time change is so disruptive. But adjusting the time during the day that I have to be somewhere? So much easier. (And I'm not even really sure why.)
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 07:11 PM   #19
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation

I would much rather keep the same time all year. It's the transition that messes me up. I really don't care how light or dark it is without the time changing, it's nature's rhythm.

Kids go to school too early anyway, and everything else can be adjusted as needed.
domesticzookeeper (03-12-2022), ECingMama (03-12-2022)
Old 03-11-2022, 09:03 PM   #20
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely. Just pick something and leave it alone. The change is horrible.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
domesticzookeeper (03-12-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 06:23 AM   #21
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

I had zero clue people felt this strongly abt DST. I don’t like the time change on a professional level because the time change really makes a few things confusing during the shift. BUT I’m so excited I’m on a 7a-3p schedule and don’t have to deal w that anymore

Fall behind is so much harder as the same hour happens twice in one shift. Spring ahead is odd but it is what it is and if you focus on using digital time keepers that automatically change I do ok. The new hospital I work in has smart boards and smart clocks everywhere so there won’t be the annoying part of not being able to use a wall clock until everything is reset that comes along w DST

I’d definitely have to move south if they ever eliminated DST. I guess I’ve tried to be grateful for portions of Both time changes. As it’s not something within my control I don’t think much abt it.

But I do love spring when the darkness of winter recedes. And I adore spring ahead in a mental health way. It feels like the time that the world is bright again. I feel like I’m coming out of hibernation and I feel a lot like a butterfly. I strongly dislike most aspects of winter

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (03-12-2022), Llee (03-12-2022), Vicki_T (03-17-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 06:52 AM   #22
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempus vernum View Post
I had zero clue people felt this strongly abt DST. I don’t like the time change on a professional level because the time change really makes a few things confusing during the shift. BUT I’m so excited I’m on a 7a-3p schedule and don’t have to deal w that anymore

Fall behind is so much harder as the same hour happens twice in one shift. Spring ahead is odd but it is what it is and if you focus on using digital time keepers that automatically change I do ok. The new hospital I work in has smart boards and smart clocks everywhere so there won’t be the annoying part of not being able to use a wall clock until everything is reset that comes along w DST
I was in labor with ds1 during the DST hour. He was born at 6 am. Would have been 5 am otherwise.

The same hour happening twice would make it super confusing in a hospital- I didn’t think of that!

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (03-12-2022), twoplustwo (03-13-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 10:04 AM   #23
Peaceful Meadows
Rose Garden

Peaceful Meadows has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
Blah. I wish they'd just leave it alone!
Same here! I have them messing with Old Father Time. Just leave the poor old man alone. He's been around this long and totally deserves our respect!

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by derdsgirl View Post
The changes back and forth are what is far more jarring than what time it is actually light or dark.
Yep, the adjustment *always* bothers me — in the spring and in the fall!

---------- Post added at 12:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 AM ----------

Quote:
Here children are waiting for the bus in the dark anyway. Many are getting on the bus at 6:00 AM depending on how far their ride is to school and where they are on the route.

Feel free to visit my little nook
Peaceful Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peaceful Meadows For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (03-12-2022), twoplustwo (03-13-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 10:49 AM   #24
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
Oh it is definitely the wrong thing to say in my area. I have been told that it is classest and racist to not support day light savings time year round. Because 'real' people have to 'actually' work and they deserve day light and that means daylights savings time.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I'm in BC

we want to change it and the government wants to, but they won't because Washington and Oregon and California won't. I personally think that it is stupid to change the clocks.

---------- Post added at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
I was in labor with ds1 during the DST hour. He was born at 6 am. Would have been 5 am otherwise.

The same hour happening twice would make it super confusing in a hospital- I didn’t think of that!
Me too! They actually asked if I was OK that they came behind my bed to change the clock.

He was born at 5:47 in the AM, it would have been been 4:47 which is the exact time DH was born!

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (03-13-2022), ECingMama (03-12-2022), tempus vernum (03-12-2022), twoplustwo (03-13-2022)
Old 03-15-2022, 01:34 PM   #25
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently, the US Senate passed a bill that would make Daylight Savings Time permanent.
I personally hate spring forward, but I love fall back. I don't like waking up in the dark. I guess I could deal with Daylight Savings Time all the time, but I do not like it staying light outside until 9pm. I am constantly fighting the battle of trying to get my night owl family to shift their schedule earlier.
But, whatever.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
knitlove (03-16-2022), Pragmatist (03-15-2022)
Old 03-15-2022, 02:51 PM   #26
domesticzookeeper
Rose Garden

domesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealLifeMama View Post
Apparently, the US Senate passed a bill that would make Daylight Savings Time permanent.

We've tried this before and it didn't stick, partly because of the negative feelings toward (and potential safety consequences of) the extended dark mornings: https://www.washingtonian.com/2022/0...ople-hated-it/
Llee (03-15-2022)
Old 03-15-2022, 03:20 PM   #27
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Well, then, why not standard time always? Or split the difference with 1/2 an hour, lol.

---------- Post added at 06:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

Well, then, why not standard time always? Or split the difference with 1/2 an hour, lol.
Just kidding. But it is baffling that the change that would be permanent is the unnatural one.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
knitlove (03-16-2022)
Old 03-15-2022, 04:38 PM   #28
deena
Rose Garden

deena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond repute

WOW, I am so excited at the prospect of this becoming permanent. I never thought I'd see the day. This is huge. I mean, sooooo many of my peers and I deal with seasonal affective disorder. This would put a dent in that.
deena is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deena For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (03-15-2022)
Old 03-15-2022, 06:03 PM   #29
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealLifeMama View Post

---------- Post added at 06:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

Just kidding. But it is baffling that the change that would be permanent is the unnatural one.
Mental health. Dark evenings are very hard. I would hate standard time permanently except maybe in July.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 08:22 PM   #30
domesticzookeeper
Rose Garden

domesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by deena View Post
WOW, I am so excited at the prospect of this becoming permanent. I never thought I'd see the day. This is huge. I mean, sooooo many of my peers and I deal with seasonal affective disorder. This would put a dent in that.
While being not as great those of us who rely on early morning sunshine to feel awake and to break through the S.A.D. fog. Dark mornings are rough for my mental health All the same, I'd rather pick one than continue to switch back and forth, which seems like the worst of the possible options. If the sampling of this thread is any indication, there won't be one choice that is 100% great for everyone.

The American Academy of Sleep Medicine has long advocated for eliminating DST as it disrupts our circadian rhythms (not just the switching to DST, but the ongoing shifted hours themselves): https://jcsm.aasm.org/doi/10.5664/jcsm.8780
Llee (03-16-2022), Soliloquy (03-15-2022)