Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 04-05-2008, 02:41 AM   #46
GrowingInGrace

Default Re: The official Cal Mag thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by klpmommy
when you have cal & mag at the same time your body absorbs it better so you don't have to split it into two doses. also, don't take it with iron b/c the iron effects the absorption of the calcium
Thanks. I knew about the iron, but didn't know about the cal&mag.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:46 PM   #47
monkeylicious
Rose Garden

here we go!

monkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of light

want to be able to find this again (we need a sticky here!)
mama to an angel in heaven - july 2005
mama to Evangeline aka evie(licious) - june 2007
monkeylicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:07 PM   #48
katiebird

I think I found this thread just a little too late! Some of you recommended taking cal/mag for low milk supply before AF so today I went out and bought some. But, we're new to the area and haven't found the natural pharmacy yet, so I just went to Walgreens. I bought Calcium carbonate 1200mg and Magnesium 500mg (2 separate bottles.) They are Nature's Bounty brand, (but I don't think they're natural even though the brand name sounds like it.) So, should I try and return it and find some calcium citrate? Or is it ok to take the carbonate form? Also, the calcium has vit D added to it, is that ok? Both bottles say not to take while breastfeeding, but that's the whole reason I want to take it- for milk supply. It sounds like this cal/mag is good stuff, so I'm excited to try it!! Thanks!!!!
Old 05-12-2008, 07:10 PM   #49
klpmommy
Deactivated

Beware the gorgon, she's having a bad hair day

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute

the "don't take while bfing" is a cover-your-rear legalese.

The carbonate *may* be fine. It just depends. It makes me constipated where citrate doesn't. Right now I am doing a combo citrate/carbonate b/c I accidently bought the carbonate, but doing half of each doesn't constipate me, but doing 3/4 carbonate does. So you may be fine. The vit D is fine, too.
klpmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:22 PM   #50
milkdud
Rose Trellis

milkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond repute

I started taking cal/mag and am sleeping better than I have in YEARS. I was the type that when going through sleep cycles, would stay awake and have a hard time falling back asleep. Now I barely open my eyes, roll over and am out. Hallelujah! It does help that dh has taken Bird into another room, which has eliminated the nighttime nurse marathon.

A quick question though. Bird is 16 mos and still nurses frequently. Would he benefit from taking cal/mag as well? Or are his needs still being met by bf'ing?
Gobstopper 09/2009
Bit o' Honey 11/2012

11/2003 & 12/2011
milkdud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:56 AM   #51
Vicki_T
Rose Garden

Vicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkdud

A quick question though. Bird is 16 mos and still nurses frequently. Would he benefit from taking cal/mag as well? Or are his needs still being met by bf'ing?

Married to Pete
Mum to Rachel (15)
Elizabeth (12)
and Elijah (9)
Vicki_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:13 AM   #52
Yuliana
Rose Garden

Yuliana has a brilliant futureYuliana has a brilliant futureYuliana has a brilliant futureYuliana has a brilliant futureYuliana has a brilliant futureYuliana has a brilliant futureYuliana has a brilliant futureYuliana has a brilliant futureYuliana has a brilliant futureYuliana has a brilliant futureYuliana has a brilliant future

Old 05-29-2008, 06:02 AM   #53
milkdud
Rose Trellis

milkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond repute

Does anybody know the answer to my question?
Gobstopper 09/2009
Bit o' Honey 11/2012

11/2003 & 12/2011
Old 05-29-2008, 08:03 AM   #54
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure. If you are taking it he should be getting it through you, however I usually try to start supplementing about 2yo old.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:28 AM   #55
klpmommy
Deactivated

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know the answer, but I probably wouldn't start until 2 y/o.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:00 AM   #56
milkdud
Rose Trellis

Thank you both.
Gobstopper 09/2009
Bit o' Honey 11/2012

11/2003 & 12/2011
Old 06-19-2008, 04:33 AM   #57
Peaceful Meadows
Rose Garden

Peaceful Meadows has disabled reputation

Do you all have trouble finding calcium citrate without mag? I am searching the internet and everything that I find has mag included. I just do a search for calcium citrate and what comes up has mag. I am getting totally frustrated! I want to go for the rec dose of 1200/400 so want to buy them separate!

ETA:
Does anyone know anything about Super Calcium 1200

Edited again to add:
I just read this:
Quote:
Your body has a hard time absorbing large amounts of calcium all at once. So it’s best to get your calcium in 500-mg doses or less, a few times throughout the day.
The article went on to say that it's best to take calcium supplements separately from a calcium rich meal.

Feel free to visit my little nook
Peaceful Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:16 AM   #58
klpmommy
Deactivated

from what Allison has said, the magnesium makes the calcium more absorable by your body so you can take a large amount so long as you are doing magnesium at the same time.

I buy my calcium locally & have no problem finding cal citrate without mag-- CVS, Target, the grocery store, etc.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:30 AM   #59
milkdud
Rose Trellis

I can find the calcium seperately, no problem.
Gobstopper 09/2009
Bit o' Honey 11/2012

11/2003 & 12/2011
Old 06-19-2008, 05:45 AM   #60
Peaceful Meadows
Rose Garden

Peaceful Meadows has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkdud
I can find the calcium seperately, no problem.
I guess I am looking in the wrong places then but I was doing an internet search and you'd think that I would be able to find them seperately. Maybe I am not as internet savy as I thought.

ETA:
It doesn't matter any more, though, because I decided to use the cal/mag supplement that I am using and just make sure I get the rest of the calcium that I need from a very calcium rich diet.

Feel free to visit my little nook
Peaceful Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote